• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Blunderbuss Firozabad

Made of Pumpkin pie
Bold Member!
1000014133.jpg

Cigarettes.
Cigarette taxes.
Regulations
Advertising.
Quality control.

Makes a pack of cigarettes expensive. Some places more than others.
Taxes

About 57,000 cartons of cigarettes can fit on a 53' tractor trailer.

That's 1,140,000 packs.

$5.21 for a pack of Camel Crushes in Missouri X 1,140,000= $5,939,400

$14.99 in New York City X 1,140,000= $17,088,600 ( I checked advertised prices in both Missouri and New York City this morning)

If you move a truckload of Missouri cigarettes to NYC you could make a profit of :
$11,149,200

45% of cigarettes smoked in California and 54% smoked in New York are smuggled in.
But not always from other states or legit.

A lot are counterfeit, made in China, SE Asia, former Russian Republics, Southern Europe

A pack of counterfeit Marlboros made in China are 20 cents. Tax stamps for any U.S. state included.

The middleman sells a carton here for $15.00, so 75 cents a pack

$14.24 of profit for each pack in NYC.
1,140,000 X $14.24 =

16,233,600 million US$ profit for one truckload, one night of work

A couple of days ago the ATF made the second largest tobacco bust in history in Arkansas, but they gave the public a deflated number for value.

1000014132.jpg

"A truck driver was arrested in Arkansas after authorities say they discovered nearly 28,000 packs of untaxed cigarettes in his vehicle.

Arkansas Tobacco Control and the Central Arkansas Drug Task Force agents arrested driver Emile Bangoura, 35, of Atlanta, after an April 10 traffic stop on his semi-truck revealed the contraband cigarettes, authorities said in a news release. It was the second-largest seizure in Arkansas Tobacco Control history.

The cigarettes were valued at more than $243,000.*"

A lot of these places do their manufacturing underground, there was just a huge bust in Malaga Spain of an underground manufacturing facility, and this from last year.

"Last year in Spain, authorities busted an underground illegal cigarette factory. The organized crime network behind the operation is suspected of large-scale cigarette trafficking with profits estimated at $647,000 per week.."

"counterfeit cigarettes often contain higher levels of tar, nicotine and carbon monoxide than genuine cigarettes, and may contain contaminants such as sand and packaging materials."

*But we know better

28,000 Chinese cigarette packs of Camels cost 75 cents each = $21,000 cost
$14.99 X 28000= $421,000 value
Drive those to NYC and that's $14.24 X 28,000 =~$400,000 Profit.

Those little out of the way shops that only have a few packs stacked up at a time or under the counter and they have American tax stamps and taste a little funny?

I haven't even mentioned moving cigarettes from Indian country out to taxable retail.( that will be collected but will never be sent to the government)

The store across the street from me sold counterfeit cigarettes.
I asked my friend who worked there why they all of a sudden had hundreds of half gallon hollow lawn frogs from Vietnam. Nobody was ever going to buy those up. Cigarettes. You could fit 12-13 packs in each one before you shipped them over hidden in crap.

It's big business with cutthroat competition, illegal stuff all around, rivalries, international organized crime and murder.
Just like drugs.

That's why police get enthusiastic about people selling looseys it's not just about somebody selling a few cigarettes, there's a lot behind it

There. You can't ever say I didn't help you out.

**obviously there's other expenses, middleman, bribes, rent for warehouses Etc. And the math might be a little favorable to my point.

Don't cry @thatsmallgrl, now that you've quit, at least you won't end up like my family. My mother smoked from the time she was about 10 years old until she died at 75 with lung cancer. I remember running into a store when I was about 6 buying cigarettes for her with a quarter. She always liked Winstons, but she did switch over to a generic brand in the 80's when they started to get so expensive. But she never stopped.

My brother, who is 58, can't even walk across the room without his oxygen, he has COPD, he still smokes. My son, who is 45, had a heart attack at 33, his heart valve had completely closed from smoking, he got a stent put in, he still smokes. My sister who is 55, coughs her guts up all day every day, she hasn't been diagnosed with anything...yet..but she still smokes.

Don't cry @thatsmallgrl, now that you've quit, at least you won't end up like my family. My mother smoked from the time she was about 10 years old until she died at 75 with lung cancer. I remember running into a store when I was about 6 buying cigarettes for her with a quarter. She always liked Winstons, but she did switch over to a generic brand in the 80's when they started to get so expensive. But she never stopped.

My brother, who is 58, can't even walk across the room without his oxygen, he has COPD, he still smokes. My son, who is 45, had a heart attack at 33, his heart valve had completely closed from smoking, he got a stent put in, he still smokes. My sister who is 55, coughs her guts up all day every day, she hasn't been diagnosed with anything...yet..but she still smokes.
The company I work for is called Winston, legit named after everyone in the meeting trying to decide on the new name was smoking Winston Cigarettes. This was back in the 60's, when you could smoke anywhere you wanted to... I was born too late. Dammit! :shame:

People get greedy and move too much at once. A commercial vehicle is asking to be inspected. If you have $5 million in counterfeit product to move, you break it up into several small loads, also if caught the severity of the felony in many states is based on the dollar amount of the crime committed. You don't lose the entire shipment. Out of state plates on a vehicle is a calling card to be stopped too. Any states that border Mexico are automatically going to raise suspicion in the eyes of the cops.

Good for you for quitting! I wish I could.
My grandma quit when one of her grandkids said to her while she was smoking in a restaurant years ago when you could. Grandma you are putting drugs in your body. She looked at the cigarette and was about to say it's just a cigarette but realized she would be a bad influence so she said yes you are correct. I'll stop.

I get mine on the rez. $30 a carton. I'm trying to quit. My man was just diagnosed with small cell lung cancer last week. It doesn't look hopeful. It's already spread to his brain and stomach. His whole left side isn't working right for a week and a half now. The brain lesions are causing that. He just turned 61 last month. It's caused from smoking.
I have to quit.
I have to quit.
I have to quit.

I get mine on the rez. $30 a carton. I'm trying to quit. My man was just diagnosed with small cell lung cancer last week. It doesn't look hopeful. It's already spread to his brain and stomach. His whole left side isn't working right for a be sending week and a half now. The brain lesions are causing that. He just turned 61 last month. It's caused from smoking.
I have to quit.
I have to quit.
I have to quit.

I am so sorry y'all gotta go thru that. I'll be sending happy thoughts in your direction.

Back