• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
If this guy had specifically focused on Jayme, planning the whole thing in advance JUST for her, I wonder how she triggered him. All the articles paint her as a shy girl & quiet who would not have easily connected with a stranger. The brutality of this crime makes me suspect that his instabily likely showed through to anyone he meets.

His success is astonishing. The timeline between the initial attack to police response seems way too short to escape.

If this guy had specifically focused on Jayme, planning the whole thing in advance JUST for her, I wonder how she triggered him. All the articles paint her as a shy girl & quiet who would not have easily connected with a stranger. The brutality of this crime makes me suspect that his instabily likely showed through to anyone he meets.

His success is astonishing. The timeline between the initial attack to police response seems way too short to escape.
He wasn't the only one that had a thing for her. There was that guy who broke into the home and stole underwear but they ruled him out as a suspect.
As far as him getting away... he got fucking lucky. I doubt it was anymore than that.

@Fellofftheporch
I really don't think it was just luck that he got away. I think he planned it out very well.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/neighbor...e-armed-and-ready-for-suspect-to-come-looking

According to Douglas County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald, Patterson took “many proactive steps” to hide his identity from law enforcement. He reportedly shaved his head so he wouldn’t leave forensic evidence when he kidnapped Closs and scrubbed his social media profiles from the internet.

Fitzgerald said Patterson had ties to Barron, Wisconsin, where Closs lived with her parents, but wouldn’t elaborate.

... [Jayme] and her mother, Denise, hid in the bathroom. They heard a gunshot, and she knew her father, James, had just been killed .... Denise Closs started to call 911. Patterson broke down the bathroom door, told her to hang up and tape Jayme's mouth shut. Denise Closs complied and then Patterson shot her

https://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/jake-thomas-patterson-why-he-kidnapped-jayme-closs
This is why you should NEVER follow directions from a criminal telling you to make yourself more helpless, you are just making it easier from them to kill you.

Last edited:
If she is, I hope her guardian permits an abortion.

Usually, unless there is a guardian objection, if she was raped, the hospital will give medications to induce her menstrual cycle into beginning, and would flush a fertilized egg/zygote from her system, due to the fact she's was only missing for three months.
Had she been missing much longer, and was impregnated soon after her abduction, then they would use either an abortion (or induce delivery ASAP in the worst case scenario).
In cases like this, there are very rarely any objections by family/guardians for the hospital to give the medications immediately.

Last edited:
This goes into a lot of detail on the abduction, how he kept her, and how she escaped. However I think it is odd at this point that nothing has touched the big elephant in the room. Was she sexually abused? I'm going to assume that she was. Not many people would kill two adults to kidnap a 13yr old girl to just play monopoly with. Maybe because they have him admitting to double murder/kidnapping they are just leaving it alone to spare her from talking about it.

EXCLUSIVE: Mother of 21-year-old accused of kidnapping Jayme Closs and shooting dead her parents is in shock and scared to leave her home, neighbor says
  • Jake Patterson's mother Deborah Frey is 'distraught,' and 'scared to come out of her house,' in the wake of the horrifying revelations about her son's crimes
  • A neighbor who wished not to be named told DailyMail.com: 'She's distraught. They're good people. This is just shocking'
  • They said Deborah and her second husband Kevin - Patterson's stepfather - are thoughtful people who get up early each morning to plow the drive of snow
  • The neighbor added: 'I would see him [Jake] across the street but not to talk to him. They're good people. But he's a freak'
  • DailyMail.com has learned that Patterson's mother works as a school bus driver for Barron County
  • On Monday, Patterson made his his first appearance since being arrested for abducting Jayme Closs and killing her parents Denise and James on October 15
  • The 21-year-old's father Patrick broke down in tears as his son sat impassive, dressed in orange prison jumpsuit as the charges against him were read
  • Patterson's brother, Erik, and father were the only family present for him in court
  • Horrific details of Jayme's abduction emerged in the criminal complaint filed hours ahead of Patterson's first court appearance in Barron, Wisconsin
Full Story:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...kidnapping-Jayme-Closs-scared-leave-home.html

Post automatically merged:

They are also not having Jayme testify at his trial

Kidnapped Wisconsin teenager Jayme Closs will NOT have to testify against her abductor, prosecutors say
  • Jake Thomas Patterson, 21, from Wisconsin appeared in court for the first time
  • Prosecutors charged him with two counts of homicide and one of kidnapping
  • Lawyers will try to make their case without Closs having to take the stand
  • Judge ordered Patterson held on $5m bond and for a DNA sample to be taken
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...loss-not-evidence-court-against-abductor.html

Last edited:
But an ex-boyfriend of his sister, Katie, who dated her in 2009 and often stayed with her in the Patterson family home, recalled Patterson as more troubled than quiet.
How hard did they have to try to find this guy? Do we really need the thoughts of some guy who was banging dude's older sister 9 years ago?

The criminal complaint has been released. You can find it here.

Remarkably there's no mention of any kind of sexual assault (I hope it remains that way).

Reading through the interviews it's obvious he fancies himself as a 'cunning sociopath' but IMO he's just a little snoflake that wasn't smacked in the head hard enough by his dad when he had his tantrums.

Side note - Wisconsin doesn't have the DP but in 2006 an advisory referendum showed 56% of voters in favor of bringing it back. Wonder if this case is going to push that up further.

Wonder if they are going out of their way to protect her privacy on the sex assault stuff. It would make sense

They have enough to put the guy away for life even without such an element to the crime.

They def should give her the reward

I really hope for her sake there was not rape. However that just makes this all the more odd. He killed 2 people to hang out with a 13yr girl and play Monopoly????

Ok, so I watched a special on TV yesterday about this and have some insights.

-She was kidnapped in one county in Wis. and found in another.
-All charges at this point, were filed in the county where she was taken and relate to the murders and kidnapping.
-Any charges relating to the time she was kidnapped would be filed in the county she was found in.
-The LE that was interviewed when asked if she had been assaulted stated the following: "We are working with Jayme on her timeframe, when she wants to know about something, we tell her. When she wants to talk, we listen.".

I think as stated earlier they have this guy so pinned on the double murder and kidnapping that they are just taking things very slowly and carefully as it relates to the 88 days she was held captive.

If they charge him with rape, Jayme would have to testify about all the gory details and be cross examined by a zealous defense attorney. If no rape charge, but they can give him LWOP without it, why put Jayme through that ordeal?

A Wisconsin man has pleaded guilty to kidnapping 13-year-old Jayme Closs and killing her parents.

Twenty-one-year-old Jake Patterson pleaded guilty Wednesday to two counts of intentional homicide and one count of kidnapping. A count of armed burglary was dropped. The intentional homicide counts carry a sentence of life in prison.

Patterson admitted to kidnapping Jayme after killing her parents, James and Denise Closs, at the family's home on Oct. 15. Patterson held her at a remote cabin for 88 days before she escaped in January. A criminal complaint says Patterson told authorities he decided to "take" Jayme after he saw her getting on a school bus near her home.

Jayme Closs wasn't in the Barron County courtroom as Patterson entered his guilty pleas Wednesday. Patterson was initially stoic at the hearing, but choked up and had difficulty speaking later in the proceeding. As he left, he said "Bye, Jayme," though it appeared the comment was directed at no one in particular.

I wonder if Ms. Smart would try to counsel her into opening up about sexual abuse. I think the possibility may still exist that it did happen and she just isn't coming to terms with it for whatever reasons, or she may not want to go public with it. Coming from someone with a very similar life experience may be what Jayme needs if that is the case.

"A man who broke into the Wisconsin home of Jayme Closs weeks after her parents were gunned down and she disappeared was sentenced Wednesday to two years' probation.

Kyle Jaenke-Annis, 33, was initially charged with felony burglary but pleaded guilty to misdemeanor theft for stealing some of the 13-year-old's clothes. He was found with two girl's tank tops, underwear and a dress."

Too bad that asshole patterson didn't just steal her clothes.
But yeah they ought to keep an eye on this weirdo too, make sure that behavior does not escalate.

Back