• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A man who was previously convicted of manslaughter has been charged with strangling to death a Bronx mother, whose two young children were left alone with her lifeless body in their apartment for more than 24 hours.

Asun Thomas, 46, from Brooklyn, turned himself in to police on Christmas Eve, a day after the New York Police Department released his image from a surveillance video and appealed for the public’s help in finding him.

Thomas was booked on a charge of murder in connection to the October killing of 40-year-old Luz Perez, a mother-of-five from The Bronx.

Perez was found dead at her home in the Belmont neighborhood when police responded to a 911 call on the morning of October 13.

Police said the mother was discovered dead on her bed by her two youngest children, ages two and five, who then alerted someone coming into the building to the situation by shouting out the front window.

The children had been in the apartment with their mother's corpse for more than 24 hours, during which time they ate peanut butter sandwiches, before her five-year-old son called for help,

It was initially reported that the victim was stabbed with a screwdriver, but an autopsy concluded that Perez's cause of death was strangulation.

When Thomas surrendered to police on Tuesday, he told them he lived in a halfway house for homeless people in Brooklyn.

Records indicate that the suspect was released on parole in 2016 after serving 16 years out of a 20-year sentence for a 2000 manslaughter conviction.

It remains unknown whether Thomas knew Perez before the killing.
1577302620202.webp
 
Bet that parole board is really kicking themselves now doesn't give half a shit.
^yep.

Unless we're going to reform prisons so that people leave prison less likely to reoffend (because as it stands now, prison just makes criminals more criminal-y instead of actually solving any problems) violent offenders need to stay there a hell of a lot longer. Let the petty drug offenders go. Keep the child abusers and murderers off the streets forever.
 
A Brooklyn man has been sentenced to 25 years in prison four years after he fatally strangled a mother of two in her home as her children were inside.
Asun Thomas, 49, was sentenced on Oct. 12 on a first-degree manslaughter charge for killing Luz Miriam Perez, 40, in 2019.

Thomas strangled Perez shortly before 8 a.m. inside her apartment on 187th Street in the Bronx and then fled, leaving her two children — who were 3 and 5 at the time — alone for a day before the mother’s body was discovered, Bronx DA Darcel Clark said in a press release.
The children made themselves peanut butter sandwiches while they were trapped, the Daily News reported at the time.

Perez’s body wasn’t discovered until a passerby saw the children banging on the windows and calling for help.
Prior to Perez’s death, Thomas had been paroled in 2016 for another manslaughter sentence from 2000. He had served 16 of his 20-year sentence.

Earliest Release Date​


06/05/2043



01/03/2047
 
Back
Top