A man who was previously convicted of manslaughter has been charged with strangling to death a Bronx mother, whose two young children were left alone with her lifeless body in their apartment for more than 24 hours.
Asun Thomas, 46, from Brooklyn, turned himself in to police on Christmas Eve, a day after the New York Police Department released his image from a surveillance video and appealed for the public’s help in finding him.
Thomas was booked on a charge of murder in connection to the October killing of 40-year-old Luz Perez, a mother-of-five from The Bronx.
Perez was found dead at her home in the Belmont neighborhood when police responded to a 911 call on the morning of October 13.
Police said the mother was discovered dead on her bed by her two youngest children, ages two and five, who then alerted someone coming into the building to the situation by shouting out the front window.
The children had been in the apartment with their mother's corpse for more than 24 hours, during which time they ate peanut butter sandwiches, before her five-year-old son called for help,
It was initially reported that the victim was stabbed with a screwdriver, but an autopsy concluded that Perez's cause of death was strangulation.
When Thomas surrendered to police on Tuesday, he told them he lived in a halfway house for homeless people in Brooklyn.
Records indicate that the suspect was released on parole in 2016 after serving 16 years out of a 20-year sentence for a 2000 manslaughter conviction.
It remains unknown whether Thomas knew Perez before the killing.
Paroled killer charged with strangling mother to death
Paroled killer Asun Thomas, 46, surrendered to police on Christmas Eve and was charged with murder in the October strangulation death of mother-of-five Luz Perez, 40.
