• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A man died Friday after he was attacked by his large, flightless bird at a farm near Alachua Friday morning, authorities said.

Alachua County Sheriff's Lt. Brett Rhodenizer said authorities responded to a medical call after a cassowary attacked a man on the property.

Alachua County Fire-Rescue arrived first and took the man to the hospital.

"Unfortunately he did not survive his injuries at the hospital," Rhodenizer said.

Rhodenizer said they're investigating whether the man fell and then was attacked by the large, flightless bird or if he was attacked and then fell.

The cassowary is native to New Guinea.

The San Diego Zoo says it's considered the most dangerous bird in the world, thanks to its "dagger-like claws."

"The cassowary can slice open any predator or potential threat with a single swift kick. Powerful legs help the cassowary run up to 31 miles per hour (50 kilometers per hour) through the dense forest underbrush."

Last edited:
This poor man. I am sure this ranks up there on the more unpleasant ways to go.

A Florida man has died after being attacked by either one or two cassowary birds, which have often been called “living dinosaurs” and are considered one of the most dangerous birds in the world.

The victim, identified as 75-year-old Marvin Hajos, owned the farm where the incident occurred.

“It appears that the gentleman who was killed raised the birds and was injured after falling in a path near the Cassowary enclosure,” Jeff Taylor, the Fire Rescue Deputy Chief for Alachua County, told BuzzFeed News.

Taylor said that there were two cassowaries on the site, but it’s “unclear whether one or both birds took part in the attack.”

Hajos was taken to UF Health Shands Hospital where he later died, a spokesperson said.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...a-man-attacked-killed-cassowary-bird-dinosaur

I had no idea it was legal to own them here, and I wouldn't want to get ripped open by one. Still do not get the allure of keeping dangerous animals.

Back