• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The family of a Utah woman is suing a hospital after they say doctors left an open tube in her body, causing her heart to drain into a garbage can, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

Donnamay Brockbank had surgery at St. Mark’s Hospital in June 2018 to remove a medical device causing an allergic reaction, according to court documents. During the procedure, Brockbank had a cardiopulmonary bypass – blood left her body through a tube in her neck and re-entered in her femur.

After the surgery, as the equipment was being broken down and Brockbank’s heart was beating on its own, the re-entry tube to the femur was closed; the needle draining blood from the woman’s neck, however, was not, according to the lawsuit.

At that time, blood was pumping directly from Brockbank’s heart into a medical garbage can, the lawsuit stated.

When Brockbank’s blood pressure dropped, transfusions were performed and live-saving measures were taking, but, according to the Salt Lake Tribune, nobody addressed the tube in her neck still leaking blood into the trash can.

Two days after the surgery, hospital employees told Brockbank’s family a “reservoir of blood” had been found in a medical garbage can, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The family Brockbank left behind, as well as their lawyers, have been working through what they call some of the worst medical records they have ever seen in order to figure out what went wrong."

As a nurse I must tell you, I've been over this story several times, from different news outlets, looking for some kind of logical explanation. And I can't find one. I've never heard of such a thing as this. I've never heard of anything remotely close to this happening.

I'm confused.

You're saying if someone was negligent it would be a criminal act but if the did it intentionally it wouldn't?
@Keepalowprofile
I was simply saying I don’t think it was intentional as jack implied.. I think it was more gross negligence.. I wasn’t even touching the charges or law suits just an opinion that I don’t think it was ‘intentional’ murder

@Keepalowprofile
I was simply saying I don’t think it was intentional as jack implied.. I think it was more gross negligence.. I wasn’t even touching the charges or law suits just an opinion that I don’t think it was ‘intentional’ murder

I just cant see how a mistake this monumental could be made on accident. There's no way every single person involved in that operation somehow just brain-shit out in there.

I just cant see how a mistake this monumental could be made on accident. There's no way every single person involved in that operation somehow just brain-shit out in there.
Jack how long was the surgery? How many people were actually left with the responsibility of cleaning her up and transport? What time of day was it? What was the census verses nurses? Was it shift change? Any major trauma delivered needing immediate attention verses a woman assumed stabilized? Jack there’s so many if’s. I do think it’s absolutely negligence but I cannot fathom anybody intentionally killed someone they didn’t know, had spent that much time doing surgery on, and the resources that were squandered. All medical records and documentation are electronic and they can tell if it’s avoided or altered. I may be completely wrong but, I am interested in what the situation and medical records provide.

Jack how long was the surgery? How many people were actually left with the responsibility of cleaning her up and transport? What time of day was it? What was the census verses nurses? Was it shift change? Any major trauma delivered needing immediate attention verses a woman assumed stabilized? Jack there’s so many if’s. I do think it’s absolutely negligence but I cannot fathom anybody intentionally killed someone they didn’t know, had spent that much time doing surgery on, and the resources that were squandered. All medical records and documentation are electronic and they can tell if it’s avoided or altered. I may be completely wrong but, I am interested in what the situation and medical records provide.

Sorry, i absolutely refuse to believe that someone, or mutliple people, in that operating room desired to see someone die.

"The family Brockbank left behind, as well as their lawyers, have been working through what they call some of the worst medical records they have ever seen in order to figure out what went wrong."

As a nurse I must tell you, I've been over this story several times, from different news outlets, looking for some kind of logical explanation. And I can't find one. I've never heard of such a thing as this. I've never heard of anything remotely close to this happening.
A couple of years back, my dad had x-rays on his feet and his doctor informed him he had two clamps in his ankles from a prior surgery! He declined to have them removed, nor to take action against the hospital! Being a nurse, myself, I told him this was gross negligence on behalf of all in the surgery ward, as they have to count each and every gauze sponge, or any other devices and such after surgery, to ensure everything has been removed from the body! I can't believe that no one noticed this drain still in the lady's neck, of all places!!!

This is fucking horrifying.

This is why I'm afraid of any sort of surgery. They put you under, and you're pretty much at their mercy. How does something like this even happen? I'm in agreement with @JackBurton here - was every single person in that operating room an idiot? How could not one of them have noticed something this major?

A couple of years back, my dad had x-rays on his feet and his doctor informed him he had two clamps in his ankles from a prior surgery! He declined to have them removed, nor to take action against the hospital! Being a nurse, myself, I told him this was gross negligence on behalf of all in the surgery ward, as they have to count each and every gauze sponge, or any other devices and such after surgery, to ensure everything has been removed from the body! I can't believe that no one noticed this drain still in the lady's neck, of all places!!!

What a dumbshit not filing suit!!! Fucking idiot literally throwing a winning lottery ticket in the trash.

Back