• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Okay, here are two versions, both of which I make a lot in the winter. The gratuitous quickie chicken and dumplings goes like this:

get some chicken broth, low sodium or regular, doesn't matter but there should be a lot of it.
Get it boiling and toss in some cooked chicken pieces- I like chicken breasts and I boil them in water first so weird stuff doesn't gunk up the broth for the fast kind, but you can boil them in the broth if you like that better.
While the chicken pieces are boiling, open a few cans of cheap-ass canned biscuits. Roll out the little biscuit pucks, or just smoosh them. Use a pizza cutter to cut them into sizes you like. Use a lot. You can never have too many dumplings. Then just drop 'em into the boiling broth and cover them up and let 'em simmer for a little while-ten or fifteen minutes is good. Salt,pepper, serve and go.

Do wha?!

That is fucking brilliant. I can't wait to try this out. The only thing that keeps me from doing C&D more often is the time stewing and cleaning the chicken. Very, very cool.

Another fun trick with canned biscuits is to make donut out of them. Heat some oil in a pan, poke a hole in the biscuit, and drop it in the oil. Turn over after 5 min., or when brown, and cook the other side. Roll in powdered sugar or cinnamon while still hot if you like. Makes a perfect donut. Great trick for camping trips.

Drunken Chat : Noxious Potions

Mix:

one fifth tequila
one fifth margarita mix
one Buddha bottle of Damiana (a fifth, i think)
one bottle maraschino cherries
1/2 gallon orange juice
sliced oranges

let sit in a big jug in the fridge - it's better the second day.

Mix well, serve in highball glasses
Float Grand Marnier on top.

Don't stand up after the second one - this is not a girly drink, although it does work well for breakfast.

Another fun trick with canned biscuits is to make donut out of them. Heat some oil in a pan, poke a hole in the biscuit, and drop it in the oil. Turn over after 5 min., or when brown, and cook the other side. Roll in powdered sugar or cinnamon while still hot if you like. Makes a perfect donut. Great trick for camping trips.

OMFG I cannot believe you posted that! When I was a kid, we made those a lot. Damn, I haven't had those in 20 yrs probably. Ahhhh Swivel, you brought back a wonderful memory....thank you. I've got to make them for my kids!:D

I love using my crock pot. Today we had Crock Pot Salsa Chicken.

Crock Pot Salsa Chicken

8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup thick & chunky style salsa
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel sweet corn, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Season chicken with salt. In skillet, over medium-high heat, cook chicken in oil about 4 minutes, turning once, until brown. In 3 1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker, mix salsa, beans and corn. Place chicken on top. Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 9 hours. Just before serving sprinkle with cilantro. If you want, serve with extra salsa or other condiments, such as sour cream or guacamole.

Oh btw, when my kids were smaller I used to make those canned biscuit donuts as well. I let the kids roll the donuts in powdered sugar, powdered sugar w/cinnamon, and or a plain glaze. Fun memories!

I have never done the biscuit\donut thing. Guess I will be tomorrow.

Shit is good. Just make sure you don't have the oil too hot. You want the donut to sit in the oil for 10 minutes or so, or it won't cook through, and be doughy in the middle. Too hot, and you burn the outside to a crisp, or get the doughy center.

I like having a bowl of confectioners sugar, with some cinnamon, by the pan. I dunk both sides of the donut right in the sugar, coating it. It makes a mess to eat, but it is worth it. Often I will just eat them over the sink while I'm cooking them for others.

Also, if you have some honey, and can dip them in a little ramekin of it, simply divine.

*Sigh*...

I wish I could contribute more!

My grilling and BBQing requires finesse; my indoor cooking is laborous. :(

If ya'll are down with some work, I will post some orgasmic recipes. Roulouden, schenkenflecken, chicken-wrapped bacon stuffed with smoked gouda...*drool*

Baklava, anyone? Like an Olympic event, but totally worth it.

Comfort food with flare. When I've got more time, I'll post them all.

Baklava, anyone? Like an Olympic event, but totally worth it.

Mmmmm I love baklava, but have never tried to make it as of yet. This thread makes me so hungry, but I cannot resist it. (the hippie is weak when it comes to delicious foods):p

What the heck is that?

The drink sounds good but I have no clue what that is.

Damiana doesn't actually come in a 'buddha bottle', although that's what it gets called in the imp house. Really, Damiana is a gold colored herbal Mexican liqueur that has a mellow, almost grassy taste. The bottle it comes in is modeled after an Incan fertility goddess. I can never taste it in Potions at all, but I can tell when it's missing.

Depending on where you live, you may have to get Damiana ordered in - but it's worth it. Damiana has some interesting properties. If you have to substitute for it, use vodka mixed with Grand Marnier.

Easy Pot Roast

Roast
Sliced potatoes (how many depends on you..I like a lot)
Sliced carrots ( '' )
1 can Tomato Soup
1 can French Onion Soup
1 can Beef Broth
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
Enough water to cover the meat (I usually use the Tomato & C of M soup cans to add the water, swishing some water in each to get all the dregs of soup out)

Salt & pepper to taste, other spices as you wish. I'm one of those who never makes it the same way twice..sometimes add garlic, or basil, or white wine, sherry adds a nice touch sometimes too. But the above mentioned ingredients are the basics. Throw in Crock Pot, low, 8 hours. Viola.

Usually enjoy with garlic mashed potatoes and bruschetta.

Carolina Caviar:

2 cans black eye peas, drained and rinsed well
1 can white corn, drained
Red onion, diced
Green pepper, diced
Tomato, diced
1 large bottle House Italian dressing
Salt
Pepper
Lemon juice

Mix all veggies together. Add salt & pepper to taste and a couple of squirts of lemon juice. Add dressing to taste (I usually use about 1/2 the bottle). Stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate.

I love this recipe for a lot of reasons: Quick, simple, cheap, easy to throw together. Very easy to adjust quantity for cookouts, covered dish, whatever. You can throw in whatever veggies you want...last time I made it I added diced cucumber, used red pepper instead of green and added a dash of garlic powder..yum! You can adjust dressing to your taste. Tastes better the longer it sits..definitely one of those it's even better the next day. Again, quick and simple, and a great way to get the kids to eat some veggies! I have two picky eaters, but they both love this. One of the few things my daughter requests on a regular basis.

Yeah. That's three things I will try to make this weekend. Your lasagna, her Caviar and Imp's concoction.

My wife took the last of my lasagna to work, and she said the office went batshit over it. It was gone immediately, and for the rest of the day people were gossiping over who "got some" and who didn't.

If you liked the Carolina Caviar, give this one a try too..

Gazpacho

2 English cucumbers
2 tomatoes, seeded
1 large green bell pepper
1 red onion
4 celery sticks
3 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
3 Tbs red wine vinegar
3 limes, juiced
6 tsp hot sauce (I like Texas Pete, but Tabasco works too)
¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Dash of sugar (approx 1 tsp)
1/2 tsp honey

Cut vegetables into bite-size chunks, toss in a bowl and sprinkle with cilantro and parsley. In separate bowl mix vinegar, sugar, lime juice & hot sauce. When blended, slowly whisk in the olive oil & honey. Pour over veggies, season with salt & pepper, serve.

*I freely admit this is a recipe from a famous chef tweaked the way I like it. No plagiarism/credit intended.

This is alot like Becca's Carolina caviar, but a little different. It is something I always take to potlucks and serve at my home. It is easy to throw together, can be made ahead, and it is always gone. Its from Kraft Foods, but I add avocado, and sometimes more cilantro because I love that stuff.

Black Bean Salsa

1 can (16 oz.) black beans, rinsed, drained
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 avocado, diced
1 env. GOOD SEASONS Garlic & Herb Salad Dressing & Recipe Mix
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp. minced fresh jalapeño pepper
1/4 tsp. ground cumin

Mix all ingredients in large bowl until well blended; cover. Refrigerate at least 15 minutes.

Serve with tortilla chips. Store leftover salsa in airtight container in refrigerator.

You guys will quickly learn that I love me some bruschetta, so like to play with different ways of cooking with it...

Baked Bruschetta Chicken

1 large can diced tomatoes
1 pkg (6 oz) Stove Top Chicken Stuffing Mix
½ cup water
2 cloves minced garlic
1½ lbs. boneless chicken breasts
2 tsp dried basil
Fresh basil, shredded
2 cups shredded mozzarella

Preheat oven to 400F. Mix tomatoes, stuffing mix, water & garlic just until stuffing is moist. Place chicken in 13x9 baking dish, top with basil, cheese, then the stuffing mix on top. Bake 30 minutes. Easy & yummy!

Grilled Bruschetta Chicken

Two ½ cups Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette dressing
1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1-2 tomatoes, diced
1 cup shredded mozzarella
½ cup chopped fresh basil (or 2 tsp dried basil)

Place large sheet of heavy-duty foil over half of grill grate and preheat grill to medium heat. Put chicken and 1/2 cup dressing in Ziploc, toss to coat, refrigerate at least 15 minutes. Grill chicken on uncovered side of grill 6 minutes without turning. While that’s grilling, combine tomatoes, cheese, basil & other 1/2 cup dressing. Turn chicken over, placing on foil, top evenly with tomato mixture and close lid. Cook 8 minutes or until cooked through.

Kathy, your recipe sounds yummy! I like avocado and cilantro too so posting this one..

Avocado & Grilled Corn Salsa

4 ears sweet corn, shucked
2 cloves minced garlic
2 ripe avocados, roughly chopped
½ cup finely chopped fresh basil
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
6 green onions, finely chopped
6 Tbs fresh lime
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Olive oil

Lightly brush or spray corn with oil. Grill over direct medium heat until brown in some spots and tender, usually about 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally. Allow to cool then cut kernels off and put in medium size bowl. Gently stir in the rest of the ingredients to mix, and serve.

Last edited:
Stir-Fry

I do a stir-fry at least 2-3 times a month. One of the best meals you can make for taste/health/price.

The veggies I picked up today were:

Snow Peas (I cut off the tips of these, it improves the texture)
Carrots (I prefer them sliced, not "matchstick", like is traditional)
Squash (not normal, but suprisingly great stir-fried)
Celery (adds a great crunch)
Mushrooms (common "button" shrooms, sliced)
1.5 lbs chicken

I do different flavors with my Stir-Fry. Sometimes I go spicy, sometimes sweet. Tonight is a lemon-garlic flavor.

I heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in my Wok. Med-High heat. I cut the chicken into bite-sized chunks, and roll them in a bowl that has some oil, lemon zest, garlic powder, and lemon pepper. Then they go in the wok, where I will brown them on all sides (2-3 min).

The veggies go in according to density. Carrots, snow peas, squash, celery (exception to density rule, because I want the crunch), and finally shrooms. They get the stir-fry treatment for a good 15-20 min. Probably longer than some people do this, but at a slightly lower heat. With 1-2 min to go, I stir in a package of Stir-Fry mix, the kind I use requires sugar, water, and soy sauce.

I serve this with either rice, or a thin pasta. Tonight it will be a 50/50 mix of white and brown rice (cleaning out my rice jars). I use a cheapo rice maker because it requires no tending. My wife and I get two meals out of this, for about $18. Tonight I'm feeding my mother as well, so we should polish it all off.

Last night's stir-fry was the best yet. It was actually the best Asian meal I have ever had (and wife agreed with this). Not sure what it was, but just the right spices. The soy mix and the salted rice contrasted with the sugar peas, and everything had the perfect texture. There was hardly a grain of rice left on the three plates. I don't give non-steak meals a 10... except for this time. 10/10. Because there was no improving on it.

Last edited:
080301203407uj3.jpg

Awesome. 10/10 from me on the sauce alone. Which as I stated in the Shout, has replaced my spaghetti sauce. I will be back with the true verdict from me and my son after we eat it.

Just got finished. It was awesome. Stomach hurts. Thanks. Gonna try out the stir-fry later.

Next up is Becca's Carolina caviar and Kathy's Black bean salsa. I have eaten some before, black bean salsa, when I was in Mexico somewhere on a cruise...Cazemel maybe? Anyhoo...some hole-in-the-wall place. It was the best I have ever had. But then again, I LOVE me some Mexican.

Dude...

Smirnoff? Seriously?

Nothing lower than a Stoli is ever, ever acceptable. The lasagna looks great, though. :)

Not mine. Party leftovers and the roommates. I only drink the Truck.

The Trucks rule!!

I had a dirty vodka martini the other night...Grey Goose. They charged me $7.50 for the Grey Goose and $2.50 for the "dirty." Seriously. It was broken down on the check like that.:rolleyes:

Dude...

Smirnoff? Seriously?

Nothing lower than a Stoli is ever, ever acceptable. The lasagna looks great, though. :)

Y'know, the New York Times did a blind vodka tasting last year, and what d'you know?

Smirnoff kicked ass on all the snootily priced brands, from Absolut to Grey Goose to Ketel One to yadda yadda yadda.

Snootily priced gins are another matter. Death's Door, anyone?

the New York Times is run by Lucifer and his minions.

Oh wait, look who i'm talking to.

But i wasn't drinking vodka in the bath, i was drinking tequila. Cazadores Blanco is the shit, whereas Patron is about as good at twice the price.

Back