• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
1671500091570.png

A Los Angeles jury found disgraced producer Harvey Weinstein guilty Monday of three sex crimes related to his rape of a Russian-Italian model, compounding the sentencing exposure he faced from his New York convictions.
The mixed verdict fell short of a wholesale victory for prosecutors: Jurors acquitted him of another crime and deadlocked on the remaining three.
Jurors acquitted Weinstein of sexually battery by restraint related to Jane Doe 3, who is Juls Bindi, a Hollywood masseuse who said Weinstein touched her breast while masturbating in front of her after a massage in 2010.

They hung on Weinstein’s three other charges, as well as a misdemeanor charge prosecutors included as a lesser alternative to Bindi’s sexual battery charge. They split 10-2 in favor of guilty on sexual battery by restraint involving Jane Doe 2, who said Weinstein groped her breast while masturbating in front of her at the Montage hotel in Beverly Hills, also in February 2013. They also split 8-4 in favor of guilty for forced oral copulation and forcible rape of Jennifer Siebel Newsom, who is the wife of California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D).

Announced about 3:40 p.m. in Los Angeles, the verdict follows about 40 hours of deliberation over 9 1/2 days. Judge Lisa B. Lench declared a mistrial for the remaining counts after jurors said further deliberations wouldn’t help. Prosecutors have not said how they’ll proceed.

Already serving a 23-year sentence for sex crimes convictions out of New York, Weinstein crossed his hands and rested his face on them after Judge Lench’s clerk read the guilty counts for Jane Doe 1’s charges. But his mood appeared to lighten when the clerk announced jurors had found enhancements involving multiple victims not to be true, which was a sure sign he wasn’t going to be convicted on the other counts.

Continue reading at link

A Los Angeles judge on Thursday sentenced Harvey Weinstein to 16 years in prison after a jury convicted him of the 2013 rape and sexual assault of an Italian actor and model.

The sentence comes on top of the more than 20 years the 70-year-old Weinstein has left to serve for a similar 2020 conviction in New York, furthering the fall of the onetime movie magnate who became a #MeToo magnet.

Weinstein directly appealed to Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Lisa B. Lench, saying: “I maintain that I’m innocent. I never raped or sexually assaulted Jane Doe 1." The woman who Weinstein was convicted of raping sobbed in the courtroom as he spoke.

Moments earlier, she had told the judge about the pain she felt after being attacked by Weinstein.

“Before that night I was a very happy and confident woman. I valued myself and the relationship I had with God,” the woman, who was identified in court only as Jane Doe 1, said. “I was excited about my future. Everything changed after the defendant brutally assaulted me. There is no prison sentence long enough to undo the damage.”

Lench handed down the sentence Thursday after rejecting a motion by Weinstein's lawyers for a new trial.

New York’s highest court on Thursday overturned Harvey Weinstein’s 2020 rape conviction, finding the judge at the landmark #MeToo trial prejudiced the ex-movie mogul with “egregious” improper rulings, including a decision to let women testify about allegations that weren’t part of the case.

“We conclude that the trial court erroneously admitted testimony of uncharged, alleged prior sexual acts against persons other than the complainants of the underlying crimes,” the court’s 4-3 decision said. “The remedy for these egregious errors is a new trial.”

The state Court of Appeals ruling reopens a painful chapter in America’s reckoning with sexual misconduct by powerful figures — an era that began in 2017 with a flood of allegations against Weinstein. His accusers could again be forced to relive their traumas on the witness stand.

The court’s majority said, “It is an abuse of judicial discretion to permit untested allegations of nothing more than bad behavior that destroys a defendant’s character but sheds no light on their credibility as related to the criminal charges lodged against them.”

In a stinging dissent, Judge Madeline Singas wrote that the majority was “whitewashing the facts to conform to a he-said/she-said narrative,” and said the Court of Appeals was continuing a “disturbing trend of overturning juries’ guilty verdicts in cases involving sexual violence.”

“The majority’s determination perpetuates outdated notions of sexual violence and allows predators to escape accountability,” Singas wrote.

I think New York DA's are over zealous going after certain big names while, letting nobody criminals go free. DA's are politicians, all they care about is self serving publicity, making a name for themselves. The nobodies they don't convict are not remembered, but the famous one they go after becomes history

Weinstein Is guilty, but they went overboard to guarantee a conviction and make a name for themselves, while they do nothing about everyday crime

If you followed the original trial in the mainstream media, the made it sound like the case was airtight and Weinstein was obviously guilty.

However, if you instead had an ear to the ground in the NY legal community, it looked rather different. Sure, it was obvious that Weinstein was a gross, creepy pervert, and rape sounded like the kind of thing he would do. It still is and still does. But the actual legal case against him was weak. The judge bolstered it by allowing a bunch of "prior bad acts" testimony, which legal observers worried would come back to bite them on appeal as prejudicial. He also refused to strike a juror who had a novel coming out about a sexual predator who leverages his wealth to prey on young women. NY lawyers saw this coming a mile away, it's just that CNN never asked any of them what they thought.

The 16 year sentence in the California trial that he's was to serve after the New York sentence still stands.

In all the criticism I've heard about Hilary Clinton here, why hasn't the following been repeated over and over?

"Weinstein approached Hillary Clinton in an attempt to help him stop Farrow from publishing the sexual misconduct allegations against him. Clinton publicist Nick Merrill emailed Farrow and unsuccessfully attempted to convince him to not publish the story."

I'm not neutral about her anymore.
Emails I don't care about, but this? What a shitty human.

It’s hard to believe the victims had no idea what would be expected of them during those private meetings with him.
It wasn't always in hotel rooms.
It was in his office, conference rooms, restaurant lunch meetings, movie sets, receptions before premieres of plays, etc.
Women arrived for meetings only to be told by his assistants they all would be having the meeting in his suite and then the assistant would disappear.

But really, it doesn't matter.
Are women supposed to suspect that men are going to try and force a sexual encounter on them at every opportunity?
What woman hasn't had a job interview alone with a man in his office?
That's pretty unfair to men, the majority of whom would never consider this okay.

We don't need chaperones everytime we're alone with a man. Men aren't our enemies, they're pretty great.

Back