• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
@Sue sue
This thread was about the Texas school shooting, this new article’s about Florida’s Parkland school shooting.
If you knew that just ignore my comment.

A man who claimed to be a substitute teacher and survivor of a school shooting in Texas in 2018 never actually worked at the school, officials say.

David Briscoe told news outlets he had protected students from harm while working at Santa Fe High School, where 10 people were killed.

The Texas Tribune revealed the truth behind his false claims on Monday.

But not before CNN, Wall Street Journal and others had published his lies.

Mr Briscoe told CNN at the time he had been teaching English when he heard screaming and gunshots.

He said he had barricaded his classroom door with tables and desks, turned off the lights and telling his students to get down.
[....]
On Monday, Texas Tribune journalist Alexandra Samuels revealed Mr Briscoe had contacted her in April 2019 to do a follow-up piece in light of recent suicides by mass shooting survivors.

She says she spoke to him on the phone for 31 minutes, during which he claimed to have "quit teaching after the massacre" and had become depressed.

He said "just knowing that there's blood on the walls" meant he could not go back to the school.

The "insane story" roused her suspicions and the journalist contacted the local school board who confirmed no one of his name had ever worked in the district.
[....]
The Texas Tribune reports that public records show Mr Briscoe's only home address is registered in Florida.

Some original stories that included his accounts have been corrected by outlets since the allegations emerged on Monday.

After tweeting about the shooting at the time, the account @Daviddbriscoe was approached by the BBC.

Mr Briscoe claimed in a private Twitter message to have been a teacher at the school who had got scared and had left the scene. The BBC did not pursue him further or use any of his quotes in their coverage.

Social media handles registered to his name have now been deactivated or had their names changed.

The Texas teen accused of killing 10 people at Santa Fe High School last year will be declared not competent to stand trial, his defense attorney said Monday.

Dimitrios Pagourtzis was evaluated by three experts: one hired by the defense, an independent expert and one chosen by state prosecutors. All three agreed that the teen is not competent to stand trial, attorney Nicholas Poehl said.

The judge still needs to rule, but Poehl said he believes that’s basically a formality.

“The state had the option of putting this issue before a jury, but when their own expert agreed, the state very graciously agreed to not contest it,” Poehl said.

Update: Galveston County coroner leaks autopsy information to producer of documentary while families of those murdered get no answers after 3 years. One of the victims was my daughter's paternal grandmother (a substitute teacher). The community is roiling and rightly so. The doc will be released next month. I haven't gathered up the nerve to ask my daughter if she wants to see it.

https://abc13.com/santa-fe-high-school-shooting-victims-documentary-leaked-autopsy/10981736/

Dimitrios Pagourtzis, the student accused of the deadly 2018 shooting at Santa Fe High School, has been re-committed to a mental health facility for up to an additional year.

Almost exactly one year ago, a similar decision was made to keep Pagourtzis in a facility for 12 months.

His attorney says no trial date has been set.

Galveston County Criminal District Attorney Jack Roady said in a statement to ABC13 that the North Texas State Hospital reported that Pagourtzis "has not been restored to competency to stand trial" and requested the extension "so that they can continue their efforts to restore him to competency. This was obviously not the news we wanted to hear, and we share the families' frustration in the continued delay."

Today is the four-year anniversary of this event. My daughter is going to the cemetery to visit her beloved grandmother and spend the day with a close cousin. My heart aches for her. She very much loved and was very much loved by her "Grammy".

As for the shooter--may he rot for eternity in the fiery pits of hell

Latest posts

Back