• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
1699835460681.png

The Rev. Al Sharpton is urging the Biden administration to halt its plan to ban menthol cigarettes, saying the move would only lead to an illicit market and potentially deadly clashes such as the Eric Garner case.
Sharpton’s National Action Network fired off a letter to Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Robert Califf citing the case of Garner, who died in July 2014 on Staten Island after being put in an illegal chokehold by an NYPD officer trying to arrest the 43-year-old resident for selling untaxed loose cigarettes.

The FDA sent its final pitch for the ban to the White House’s Office of Management and Budget in October for review, signaling the menthol mandate is in its last stages of approval.
OMB is set to conduct interviews with experts and others about the issue over the next three months before moving on the proposal, according to the agency’s website.

“Menthol prohibitions will create illicit markets and more police interactions, especially in minority communities,” NAN wrote in a June 2022 letter to Califf that was obtained by The Post. “For example, Eric Garner was a black killed by the NYPD for selling loose, untaxed cigarettes,”
“NAN is uniquely qualified to offer a valuable civil rights perspective on our concerns and the unintended consequences,” said the letter, which lists Sharpton along with NAN Chairman Franklyn Richardson.
“Historically, policies that lead to prohibitions have profound racial justice implications,” the organization added.
The civil-rights leaders asked why federal officials were targeting a ban on menthol cigarettes, which are disproportionately favored by black smokers, while other cigs smoked by whites were not being outlawed.

“Advocates for the proposed rule have not been able to explain why the preferred product for black adult smokers will be subject to ban while the select products of most will remain legal and available,” the NAN leaders said.

They said the ban “puts a microscope on minority communities.”
The preachers also said they were baffled by the push for prohibition, given how smoking rates are significantly down overall anyway.

Sharpton and Richardson even took on a libertarian tone.

“The role of government in a free society is to protect one’s rights from being violated by their fellow citizens, not to ensure that individuals never make adverse personnel decisions,” the NAN letter said. “If some people continue to smoke despite all these factors, they should be free to do so.
Gwen Carr, the mother of Eric Garner, is also spearheading a campaign against the menthol ban. She even last week urged Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) to come out against the proposed prohibition.

Opposition from Carr, Sharpton and others stalled attempts in New York in Albany and the New York City Council to ban menthol cigs.

The issue has divided the black community. The NAACP backs the menthol ban, arguing the tobacco industry has marketed to black residents to hook them on flavored smokes.

Continue reading at link

Maybe the Biden administration should arrest him on tax evasion. The rest of us tax payers are a bit pissed about this asshole not paying the millions he owes in taxes and the government kissing his ass

Civil rights leader Al Sharpton sharply denounced an extensive New York Times report that he and his companies are subject to $4.5 million in current state and federal tax liens.
Mr. Sharpton has regularly sidestepped the sorts of obligations most people see as inevitable, like taxes, rent and other bills. Records reviewed by The New York Times show more than $4.5 million in current state and federal tax liens against him and his for-profit businesses.

Last edited:
Very disingenuous to say the least. If anyone in government gave a damn about harmful substances going into our bodies he would insist that harmful additives stop adulterating our foods, etc. And, yes, many will see banning Menthol cigs as racist. I’m not sure what his actual strategy is with this.

Remember how well prohibition went? I mean I don't, I wasn't there of course, but I went to school during a time when they actually taught history, so I remember how it turned out.

And I also remember that it wasn't a race thing, it was just a people wanted their alcohol thing...

I don't smoke any more, starting vaping at the beginning of the year, but prior to that I smoked menthols for 23 years, mainly because I think regulars tasted awful... If I still smoked, I'd be livid if menthols were banned, just sayin'. Spoiler alert, I'm white.

Also, another spoiler alert, I would absolutely buy menthols on the black market, no pun intended.

They caved.

Biden admin to delay menthol cigarettes ban following backlash from Black community​

The White House will reportedly wait until at least March to implement the prohibition. Civil rights leaders claim it could anger Black voters and hurt President Joe Biden's reelection efforts, according to the Washington Post.

The administration is reportedly holding meetings with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE) and Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network.

Sharpton's organization reportedly believes the ban will have unforeseen repercussions.

"National Action Network has taken the position that, unless there are real safeguards against criminal prosecution of Black and Brown communities, the proposed menthol ban will have unintended consequences," it stated, according to ABC News. "This position was taken after working with Gwen Carr, the mother of Eric Garner; attorney Ben Crump; and the ACLU."

This isn't about Al Sharpton.
How could you possibly believe Al Sharpton holds the slightest sway over the existence of a $37 Bln. industry?

It's these things.

Job losses, tax revenue losses, increased smuggling, more crime, and money.
(The Chinese already flood the world with six billion counterfeit cigarettes a year)

It's all about money.

The rate of lung cancer in Black, male smokers is extraordinary, and high.

The government doesn't want the bill.

It is assumed that these Black, male smokers are less likely to be responsible and receive early medical care or maintain their health than, let's say, women.
(Nobody is stopping these-Virginia Slims, Eve, More, Misty, Capri, and Satin)

Only banning menthol,
but not regular ? :rolleyes:

Of course it's racist.

Not in the "mean" way,
but the "That's too dangerous for you to know how to handle responsibly" way.:rolleyes:

89% of Black smokers smoke Menthols.

Menthols aren't more harmful than regular cigarettes.(in fact, people smoke fewer)

Menthols, research shows, aren't the first cigarette of the higher % of teens..

But here's why you should care:

It's governmental overreach at it's worst.

"Loosies " and Al Sharpton! Please.

Biden White House close to finalizing menthol cigarette ban in the face of major pushback​

The Biden administration is preparing to soon finalize highly anticipated standards targeting menthol cigarettes despite heavy opposition from small business, civil rights, law enforcement and free market consumer groups.

The regulations, which would broadly ban the product, were first proposed by the Food and Drug Administration two years ago and have sparked a contentious debate between health advocates and civil liberties and business groups.

The FDA has repeatedly missed target dates for finalizing the proposed ban, the latest of which was earlier this week.

“The FDA remains committed to issuing the tobacco product standards for menthol in cigarettes and characterizing flavors in cigars as expeditiously as possible; these rules have been submitted to the [Office of Management and Budget] for review, which is the final step in the rulemaking process,” an FDA spokesperson told Fox News Digital. “As we’ve made clear, these product standards remain at the top of our priorities.”

The spokesperson said the agency, which handed the regulations off to the White House Office of Management and Budget for final approval months ago, is limited from discussing the process further since the proposal remains pending.

Biden admin scraps menthol ban for fear of alienating black voters critical to prez’s re-election​

The Biden administration has abandoned its acknowledging that heavy pushback from black Americans seen as a critical voting bloc for the president’s 2024 re-election effort influenced the decision.

Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra announced the reversal of a proposed ban on the minty cigarettes and other flavored tobaccos on Friday. The administration’s reversal of course was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

“This rule has garnered historic attention and the public comment period has yielded an immense amount of feedback, including from various elements of the civil rights and criminal justice movement, Becerra said in a statement.

An FDA spokesman told The Post in a separate statement that the agency “remains committed to issuing the tobacco product standards for menthol in cigarettes and characterizing flavors in cigars,” adding that “these product standards remain at the top of our priorities.”

Becerra had said as recently as November that “the proposed rules represent an important step to advance health equity by significantly reducing tobacco-related health disparities.”

Polls show Biden, 81, has been hemorrhaging support among black Americans who carried him and other Democrats to victory four years ago.

Just 68% of black voters, 50% of voters under the age of 30 and 48% of Hispanic voters support a second Biden term, the WSJ found in a poll released earlier this month.

These articles you quoted @Turd Fergusen , why don't they say:

"
Biden admin scraps menthol ban for fear of alienating small business, civil rights, law enforcement and free market consumer groups.
And

Biden White House close to finalizing menthol cigarette ban in the face of major pushback from Black voters.

It's such a classic example of media bias, slant, manipulation and indoctrination- you know, the kind you all make threads about-how could you not point this out to us?
We were in real danger here .

But I DEFINITELY believe that Blacks will vote for Biden if they've got a Kool in their hand. Issues about the economy, national security, etc. are beyond their grasp, but a Newport ciggie isn't! :penguin:

Eric Carr's mother
 “However, while the intentions behind the FDA’s proposed menthol cigarette ban are to improve the health of Black [sic] people, the potential for it to hurt Blacks [sic] and Hispanics cannot be overlooked.”

What an awesome bit of trickery!! Insert [sic] here and there to make someone look barely literate, even when there's no error in punctuation, syntaxes or spelling!

--That was a close call @Turd Fergusen [sic] letting that "indoctrination" slither thru to our impressionable and child-like minds and prey on our inability to tell bullshit from bullshit.

Oh no, there's more!
Nine GOP members led by Rep. Carol Miller (R-WV) warned the White House in December the ban would further allow the Cártel de Jalisco Nueva Generación (CJNG) to use profits from smuggling flavored tobacco products “to fund their fentanyl operation in the US.” [sic sic sicsicsic]

What are these idiots talking about?
FENTANYL funds their fentanyl operation.

"...there is no credible evidence of organized criminal activity
related to the illicit trade in tobacco products from Mexico
into the United States. However, there is clear and convincing
evidence of organized criminal activity in smuggling tobacco
products from the United States into Mexico for at least
167 years. "

And guns, don't forget the guns.
Most cartel weaponry is manufactured right here in the USA.
Mexico has one gun store in the entire country.

Good old Phillip Morris will still continue to manufacture menthols in Mexico. Aren't they the root of the problem then, Rep. Carol Miller from W.Virginia?

Everything that makes this imaginary threat--flavored tobacco, cartel gun violence and fentanyl customers -- from right here in America.
Seems tha- ah, nevermind. I just saw something shiny that distracted me.

Poor Mexico. It really is a burden being next to the USA.

Latest posts

Back