• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
He's also a diagnosed schizophrenic who can't take care of himself and has to live in supported housing. His actions that day (fighting with those trying to help Babbit) and in court aren't part of some brilliant plot he cooked up. I think he really doesn't care if he's locked up for 10 years or 20.

Not that I don't think this isn't a hate crime, just that I don't think the dude has many marbles to play with.

Dam, disagree again, if he doesn't have any marbles to play with, it can't be a hate crime

Dam, disagree again, if he doesn't have any marbles to play with, it can't be a hate crime
Well then no one should get charged with it because anyone that commits crime based on hate doesn't have many marbles.

Being mentally ill is not an excuse for hatred. Mental illness doesn't make folks racist. Just because he is mentally ill, does not mean that he's without capability of any rational thought.

My point is that in his mind he is a big bad ass and will do what he pleases. He's well aware of his past crimes and this one too... and doesn't give a shit. I don't think he cares if he gets locked up again or for how long.

Legally, he may have enough marbles to be competent to stand trial (which I'm sure they will have his head examined for, pretty standard). Found competent, he can most certainly be charged with a hate crime or any other crime they think he committed. Given his actions, I don't think they could even get away with attempting an insanity defense (he knew it was wrong and did it anyway). Just because his mind is warped in it's thinking does not mean he is without blame.

A nutjob who fatally assaulted a stranger in Union Square after declaring he would punch the “first white man” he saw has been indicted for manslaughter as a hate crime and faces up to life in prison, it was revealed Tuesday.

The upgraded charges against Lashawn Marten, 30, who allegedly sucker-punched, 62-year-old Jeffrey Babbitt, were unsealed in an indictment filed in Manhattan Supreme Court.
[...]

A psychiatric fitness exam was also ordered Tueday to determine if he's fit for trial.

He was charged with manslaughter in the first- and second-degrees, assault, and attempted assault, all as hate crimes. He faces 25 years to life on the top count.

His attorney, Michael Croce, said "there's definitely a reason to think he needs to be evaluated" and said prosecutors have overcharged Marten.

"I think the evidence will be lacking to show his intent to cause a serious physical injury," he said.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/suspect-union-sq-beating-charged-hate-crime-article-1.1479750

A homeless black man who fatally punched a retired train conductor in Union Square in September after yelling that he would “f—k up” the next white person he saw, is mentally unfit for trial, a Manhattan Supreme Court judge ruled Tuesday.

Justice Juan Merchan ordered that Lashawn Marten, 31, be turned over to the custody of the state Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

The violent vagrant will be committed to a psychiatric facility until his condition stabilizes.

“He has a longtime history of mental illness and needs to be in a hospital,” said defense lawyer Michael Croce.
http://nypost.com/2014/02/11/homeless-man-who-fatally-punched-retiree-unfit-for-trial/

Being mentally ill is not an excuse for hatred. Mental illness doesn't make folks racist. Just because he is mentally ill, does not mean that he's without capability of any rational thought.

AMEN Dakota!
I can't write one of my usual blog posts explaining everything to everybody because I'm sitting a sick and very cranky Charlie. He has that awful stomach virus that's going around here. It's hell. Cranky, whiny, feverish, uncooperative...and he has the trots. Didn't make it to the bathroom and now the couch will have to be steam cleaned. I've got a headache. Pray for me. This post should go in Chat; fuck it. I'm suffering.

Marten Claims He's Not Racist, He Just Likes Punching.....he's very lucky he didn't punch a guy who like's shooting

AMEN Dakota!
I can't write one of my usual blog posts explaining everything to everybody because I'm sitting a sick and very cranky Charlie. He has that awful stomach virus that's going around here. It's hell. Cranky, whiny, feverish, uncooperative...and he has the trots. Didn't make it to the bathroom and now the couch will have to be steam cleaned. I've got a headache. Pray for me. This post should go in Chat; fuck it. I'm suffering.
Good time to go kl someone CB because you're under mental duress;)

BostonBurns said: ▲
Notice that it doesn't state anywhere that he'll be charged with a hate crime. I hate to say it, but if the races were reversed this would be the biggest story on the national news broadcasts.

that is right!

Yep. The media SENSATIONALIZES what it chooses to. What it can use to make us emotional and irrational. That's why I say fuck it! A crime is a crime, committed by a type of person who thought they deserved more than they chose to work for. This guy should have been broadcast as the racist, ignorant, druggie, crazy that he is. All racists have a reason why they are racist but if you examine the reason at all, you see they chose racism, long ago.
"White people were the only authority he knew so that's why he doesn't like white folks"... What I heard was...'he most often got called on his BS by people who did not look like him so everyone who doesn't look like him is wrong!!! Shit even Malcolm X had to go on record to say that by saying ALL of any race is anything other than that race is racist! All whites ar not selfish and evil, all blacks are not thugs and criminals, all indians aren't muslim and all asians are not geniuses. Just the ones I know...JK!!

1000014194.jpg

SENTENCED TO THE MAXIMUM OF 25 YEARS FOR 1st DEGREE MANSLAUGHTER AS A HATE CRIME.BY JUDGE JACKSON.

"Before handing down her sentence, Justice Jackson pointed out Mr. Marten had received “an abundance of resources” from the government for his mental illness, including a diagnosis from doctors, housing and medication. She said Mr. Marten bore responsibility for what had happened because he had repeatedly refused to take his medication."

Man Sentenced to 25 Years for Hate-Crime Killing in Union Square https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/...crime-killing.html?smid=nytcore-android-share

Back