• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Blunderbuss Firozabad

Made of Pumpkin pie
Bold Member!
Details of the crime: (article is from 2015)
Mitchell, 33, is the only Native American on the federal death row, according to the Death Penalty Information Center. Reinhardt said Mitchell could “suffer the ignominious fate of becoming the first person to be executed for an intra-Indian crime that occurred in Indian country.”
The case began when Mitchell, Johnny Orsinger and others plotted to steal a vehicle to use later to rob a trading post on the Navajo Nation. On Oct. 28, 2001, Mitchell and Orsinger abducted Alyce Slim, 63, and her 9-year-old granddaughter, in Slim’s GMC pickup truck.
Court documents say that somewhere near Sawmill, the men stabbed Slim 33 times, killing her and dumping her in the back of the truck, where they forced the granddaughter to sit with the body.
Some time later, they dragged Slim out of the truck and told the girl to “lay down and die,” when Mitchell cut her throat twice. When she did not die, both men dropped heavy rocks on her head, killing her.

The two drove off, but returned a short time later to cover their tracks, burying their victims’ heads and hands in a hole and dragging their dismembered torsos into the woods before burning the victims’ clothes and belongings.

Three days later, Mitchell and two other men robbed the Red Rock Trading Post at gunpoint, driving off in Slim’s truck, which they later burned.

Mitchell was eventually convicted on 11 counts, including two counts of first-degree murder, carjacking resulting in death and robbery, among others. He could not be executed for the murders under federal and Navajo law – but because carjacking falls under another section of federal law, he could face the death penalty for that.

The Navajo Nation opposed a death sentence as did the victims’ families, swaying the U.S. Attorney for Arizona at the time to decide against a capital case. But Reinhardt said that decision was overruled by then-Attorney General John Ashcroft and the death penalty was sought.

Defense experts determined that Mitchell had mental and emotional problems and a distant mother, that he had substance-abuse issues and was likely abused as a child.

But the experts also described him as a borderline sociopath who denied he was intoxicated at the time of the killing, who talked calmly about killing the girl and who had a history of “swinging dogs and cats by their tails and then throwing them off bridges just for fun.”

The recent court decision: (2020)
(FLAGSTAFF, Ariz.) — The only Native American on federal death row lost a bid Thursday to push back his execution date.

Unless Lezmond Mitchell gets relief from another court or is granted clemency, he will be put to death on Aug. 26 at the federal prison in Indiana where he is being held.

Last edited:
My take is that the victims family should decide the fate of the offender, if they want his life to be spared, if it’s against their belief system then the courts should honor it. I personally think he should fry, but it’s not up to me. This just seems like one more way the American government is disrespecting Native Americans, (the Navajo nation & the victims family, not the murderer)

The government has never treated natives right. Shit, about 10 years ago I lived in Juneau for awhile. They had been sterilizing native women, without their consent during Gyno visits. They were still paying those ladies for that shit. They were also taking native children from their parents for bullshit and handing them off to christian missionaries. Of course they beat them for speaking their native tongue and shoved Jesus up their ass.....Your people were slaves? "FUCK YOU...PAY TAXES."
They steal your land and put your people on the worst property in the country? "FUCK YOU..PAY TAXES."
Post automatically merged:

One of these days........I'm gonna scalp me a rich, old white dude. Then I'm gonna wear it around and act fancy....

My take is that the victims family should decide the fate of the offender, if they want his life to be spared, if it’s against their belief system then the courts should honor it. I personally think he should fry, but it’s not up to me. This just seems like one more way the American government is disrespecting Native Americans, (the Navajo nation & the victims family, not the murderer)
I believe the family is against him receiving the death penalty.

Wait.. @roadsidehorror .I could swear you already were a Fancy-Pants. Being any fancier would also require a top hat, monocle, and spats.
You know how hard spats are to find these days.

Last edited:
That is the wrong picture, that is Tom Begaye Jr., Ashlynn Mikes killer.

I'm Navajo, and I get why the family and them are saying he doesn't deserve the death penalty. Lots of Navajos are very very religious and wouldn't believe in that. Also traditional Navajos, it's taboo to even speak of death at all. Me? I think he should have his head smashed in by rocks, just like he did that innocent baby he killed. It can get frustrating trying to get an old Navajo upset about something that deserves the outrage.

Last edited:
I believe the family is against him receiving the death penalty.

Wait.. @roadsidehorror .I could swear you already were a Fancy-Pants. Being any fancier would also require a top hat, monocle, and spats.
You know how hard spats are to find these days.
No it says in the third paragraph from the bottom

“The Navajo Nation opposed a death sentence as did the victims’ families, swaying the U.S. Attorney for Arizona at the time to decide against a capital case. But Reinhardt said that decision was overruled by then-Attorney General John Ashcroft and the death penalty was sought.”

Hey Jelly...I wasn't being a nazi, head measuring type. I'm Chickasaw........Our heads aren't square....That picture was the first time I noticed the difference....Hehehehe...I'm a total red supremacist! Actually....I'm 3/4 Native and a quarter Irish...I don't pass out...I black out and keep drinking...Fuck it....I'm racist against everyone. If you ain't purple? Fuck you!

I'm 3/4 Native and a quarter Irish...I don't pass out...I black out and keep drinking

haha that's funny

I'm having trouble finding an image of Lezmond Mitchell

If any picture ever went out of him I cannot find it. It looks like the feds never released one. Maybe it's a Native American thing, pics of lots of other ppl on death row are out there.

The pic of the other dude is misrepresented in a few places including Faux News.

I appreciate that the Navajo Nation and the families of the victims do not want the man to die. And I do not have much investment in whether he is executed or spared. However, what I can say is that he is clearly and unambiguously an unsympathetic character.

I usually try to steer clear of loaded topics such as the death penalty, but what I will say is that, regardless of what is determined for the guilty party, I believe that if the guilty party is a murderer, they have no right to suggest that they themselves should be spared the death penalty. Why? Because they,in this specific case at least, gave the death penalty to a 63-year-old woman and a 9-year-old granddaughter, both of whom were absolutely innocent and undeserving of such. For anyone to do that and suggest their own sparing are hypocrites (disclaimer: I am not suggesting that he, or his lawyers, are suggesting such for himself.)

Last edited:
I appreciate that the Navajo Nation and the families of the victims do not want the man to die. And I do not have much investment in whether he is executed or spared. However, what I can say is that he is clearly and unambiguously an unsympathetic character.

I usually try to steer clear of loaded topics such as the death penalty, but what I will say is that, regardless of what is determined for the guilty party, I believe that if the guilty party is a murderer, they have no right to suggest that they themselves should be spared the death penalty. Why? Because they gave the death penalty to a 63-year-old woman and a 9-year-old granddaughter, both of whom were absolutely innocent and undeserving of such. For anyone to do that and suggest their own sparing are hypocrites (disclaimer: I am not suggesting that he, or his lawyers, are suggesting such for himself.)

I hope we can still be friendly.
Im all for the death penalty. I see it as a cleansing.

Although, i respect peoples rights to feel differently than me. For sure if the family of the victim wishes for the life to be spared then that should be the ultimate deciding factor.

Very rare situation where I passionately APPROVE the federal govt trampling on the soverignty and rights of native americans.

I fucking LOVE this one and i LOVE how they weaseled into making it a death penalty eligible case in teh first place. Feds had already given in to the tribes on the issue of a Native being subject to the DP when the victim was a native, however capital punishment was recently approved as an enhancer allowing it and since it was so new it was NOT included in that earlier "ban DP for Natives!" deal. Fucking badass. Got his scumbag ass!

UPDATE:

Navajo Nation president asks Trump to commute death sentence

Navajo Nation president asks Trump to commute death sentence

Jonathan Nez (Source: Navajo Nation)
By Associated Press | August 11, 2020 at 12:56 PM MST - Updated August 11 at 1:01 PM
PHOENIX (AP) - Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez has asked President Donald Trump to commute the death sentence of a Navajo man convicted in the 2001 killing of a fellow tribal member and her 9-year-old granddaughter.
Nez cited the tribe’s longstanding opposition to the death penalty in a July 31 letter to Trump that asks for the sentence of Lezmond Mitchell, the only Native American on federal death row, to be reduced to life in prison. Tribal officials and even the victims’ family opposed his death penalty, despite the grisly nature of the killings.

Nez, who was scheduled to appear Tuesday, Aug. 11, before the U.S. pardon attorney in Washington in support of clemency for Mitchell, wrote that Navajo cultural teachings stress the sanctity of life and instruct against the taking of life for vengeance.
“This request honors our religious and traditional beliefs, the Navajo Nation’s long-standing position on the death penalty for Native Americans, and our respect for the decision of the victim’s family,” Nez wrote in the letter to Trump, a vocal proponent of the death penalty.

Mitchell is scheduled to be executed on Aug. 26 at the Federal Correctional Complex in Terra Haute, Ind., where he’s being held. He was among the first male inmates scheduled to be put to death after the U.S. Justice Department announced last year that the federal government would resume executing death row inmates for the first time since 2003.
The Justice Department carried out three executions last month. In addition to Mitchell’s execution, three other men are scheduled to be put to death in August and September.
His lawyers are seeking a stay of execution in federal court in Phoenix and making the clemency request to Trump through the U.S. pardon attorney in Washington.

An actual update! I assure you all, I will never bump up a story with an insipid pretense.

Please Trump do the right thing for once and kill this piece of shit. You're not getting the Navajo vote anyways, and even if you did, after the mining companies utilized the Corona Virus to wipe out the natives, it'd only be like 50 votes.

Found a picture, and more background and updates.
http://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=4WdPqd_0WjywZhx00

Late on a fall evening in 2001, Alyce Slim and her granddaughter stopped at a Navajo Nation gas station after searching for a traditional healer for leg ailments.
There, in an area where hitchhiking is common, Slim agreed to give two males a ride. They got into her pewter-colored pickup truck and when she stopped later to let them out, they didn’t budge.
Instead, Lezmond Mitchell and Johnny Orsinger stabbed Slim 33 times and placed her lifeless body next to 9-year-old Tiffany Lee in the back seat as they drove to an abandoned sheep camp. They told Tiffany to prepare to die and slit her throat. She was still breathing, so they dropped rocks on her head, killing her too.
As the 38-year-old Mitchell sits on federal death row, his execution scheduled for Wednesday, the Navajo government is asking officials to spare his life on the basis of cultural beliefs and sovereignty. The stance is pushing up against the wishes of some of the victims’ family for the execution to move forward, including Tiffany’s parents.

“An eye for an eye,” the girl’s father, Daniel Lee told the Associated Press. “He took my daughter away, and no remorse or anything like that. The Navajo Nation president, the council, they don’t speak for me. I speak for myself and for my daughter.”
Under federal law, Native American tribes can decide whether they want their citizens subjected to the death penalty for a set of crimes involving Natives on tribal land. Nearly all 574 federally recognized tribes, including the Navajo Nation, have opted out.
Mitchell was the first Native American sentenced to death since the resumption of the federal death penalty in 1994 and the only Native American awaiting execution. He ended up on death row because he was convicted of carjacking resulting in death — a crime that carries the possibility of capital punishment regardless of where it happens.

His upcoming execution is the first of a handful set after the government said it would carry out executions following an informal 17-year moratorium. The case has stirred emotion among tribal members and painful reminders of the grisly crime.
Mitchell and others used Slim’s truck in an armed robbery. He and Orsinger returned to where they dumped the two bodies, mutilated them and buried some of the remains while dragging others into the woods. They burned the victims’ belongings and washed their knives in a stream nearby.
Days later, tribal police found the truck abandoned in Tsaile, Ariz., where many tribal members make a living by ranching, farming and doing arts and crafts. Mitchell and others tried to torch the truck, but the windows were rolled up and the fire had no oxygen.

“All they did was make a smoky mess on the interior of the truck and leaving all the relevant evidence related to the murder, the carjacking and the robbery behind,” said former FBI agent McDonald Rominger, who worked the case.
Navajo Nation lawmaker Carl Slater, whose grandparents testified against the death penalty in Mitchell’s case, said the details of the crime make defining a just punishment uncomfortable. Still, the tribal government has asked President Trump to grant Mitchell clemency.
“We can never lose sight of the big picture, be forward-looking,” Slater said. “Every action creates precedent, especially when you’re a governing body. This is not just going to impact the Navajo Nation. It’s going to impact all of Indian Country.”
More than a dozen tribal leaders across the country and individual Native Americans have supported the Navajo government’s request.

Federal criminal jurisdiction on tribal land dates back to 1885 and stems from Congress’ displeasure over how one tribal nation settled a killing with restitution to the victim’s family — money, horses and a blanket. The federal authority is still disputed today.
Slim’s daughter and Tiffany’s mother, Marlene Slim, initially opposed putting Mitchell to death. The tribe has used her previous statements in pushing for Mitchell’s sentence to be reduced to life in prison.
This month, attorneys for some of Slim’s family and Lee wrote to tribal officials saying they support the federal government’s efforts to carry out the execution.
“Mr. Mitchell’s actions destroyed this family,” the letter read. “Mr. Mitchell did not consider or have any respect for the Navajo cultural teachings that stress the sanctity of life.”

Mitchell has long maintained he wasn’t the aggressor in the killings. Orsinger, now 35, had a criminal record but was a juvenile at the time and could not be sentenced to death. He is serving life in prison in Atlanta.

The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday denied a stay-of-execution request filed in the case of death-row inmate Lezmond Mitchell, who is scheduled to die Wednesday for his role in the horrific slayings of a woman and her 9-year-old granddaughter in 2001.

The Navajo Nation, which opposes the death penalty in general, had submitted the stay request to Associate Justice Elena Kagan, who referred the matter to the full court, where the request was denied, Fox News confirmed.

Mitchell’s lawyers also have a clemency request pending before President Trump, The Arizona Republic reported.

The execution would be carried out Wednesday evening at the Federal Correctional Complex in Terre Haute, Ind., where Mitchell was being held, according to the Republic.

Lezmond Mitchell Executed in Indiana at 6 p.m.
When asked if he had any last words, he said "No, I'm good."

Everything but Mitchell's head and hands were concealed beneath a teal sheet as he lay on a gurney. Asked if he had any last words, Mitchell said, "No, I'm good." There were no witnesses on his behalf, only media and victim family members.
Two government officials stood nearby as execution procedures began at 6:03 p.m. They read a list of Mitchell’s convicted charges before administering a lethal injection.
Mitchell’s chest appeared to be moving in and out until 6:09 p.m., when it began slowing. It stopped moving completely at 6:10 p.m., according to an IndyStar reporter who witnessed the execution.
Silence swallowed the chamber for nearly 20 minutes. Lee was pronounced dead at 6:29 p.m.
Following the execution, an attorney for Daniel Lee, father of the slain 9-year-old girl, read a prepared statement on behalf of Lee, who stood nearby.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2020/08/26/lezmond-mitchell-executed-terre-haute/3442929001/

Back