• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Do you think the parents have a case against Etsy

• yes

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • no

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A mother has filed a lawsuit against popular retail site Etsy after her son was strangled and killed by an item purchased off of the website.

On December 10, 2016, Deacon Morin was found dead at a childcare canter in Fontana after he was strangled to death when a necklace he was wearing around his neck tightened and did not release.

The necklace was given to his mother, Danielle Morin, as a gift by a close friend who purchased it on the website Etsy, which is described as an e-commerce site specializing in handmade items and craft supplies.

According to the online receipt, the item Morin received is described as a Baltic amber teething necklace for babies.

The product is meant to help alleviate pain for teething babies and is supposed to have a releasing safety clasp that automatically releases if anything pulls on it.

The necklace the Morins received had a screw-on clasp that could not be released when baby Deacon was caught on something, causing him to suffocate.

Morin’s attorney, John Carpenter, said the Etsy is legally responsible for Deacon’s death and has filed a lawsuit against the website and the Lithuanian company that provided the necklace.

The terms of use listed on Etsy’s website state, in part, “the items in our marketplaces are produced, listed, and sold directly by independent sellers so Etsy cannot and does not make any warranties about their quality, safety, or even their legality. Any legal claim related to an item you purchase must be brought directly against the seller of the item. You release Etsy from any claims related to items sold through our services.”

Carpenter says that Morin did not agree to these legal disclosures because she received the necklace as a gift.

Morin said, “It scares me for other parents…I want parents to know there is no more Toys ‘R’ Us and people need to go online to buy products and these products are dangerous products…No parent should have to bury their child.” (There is still Target and Buy Buy Baby)

Etsy's statement at link

Why wasn’t the child supervised. You’re told children that age SHOULD NOT wear anything around their necks for this reason. I understand grief and tragedy - loosing a child of my own but mom’s still in denial. She’s still in the blame game .. she won’t heal until she realizes sometimes bad shit happens to good people with no rhyme or reason and it fucking sucks .. but suing and blaming people isn’t going to change what’s happened .. and money is not going to fill that void .. it will give you vices to slowly kill yourself .. lessons learned :confused:

I'm having a hard time casting my vote.

is supposed to have a releasing safety clasp that automatically releases if anything pulls on it.

The necklace the Morins received had a screw-on clasp that could not be released when baby Deacon was caught on something, causing him to suffocate.
I was the judge, I would throw the case out because the mom was stupid to put it on her baby. Even one that has a break away clasp shouldn't be put on a baby. Sometimes things don't work as they should.
I feel the mom has the ultimate responsibility to make sure her baby was safe.

On the other hand, our courts give mega paydays for stupid people doing stupid things.

And then there is this:

The terms of use listed on Etsy’s website state, in part, “the items in our marketplaces are produced, listed, and sold directly by independent sellers so Etsy cannot and does not make any warranties about their quality, safety, or even their legality. Any legal claim related to an item you purchase must be brought directly against the seller of the item. You release Etsy from any claims related to items sold through our services.”

Carpenter says that Morin did not agree to these legal disclosures because she received the necklace as a gift.

She needs to sue herself for negligence in leaving the child alone with the object.
She's looking for a payday to assuage her grief.
@Sugar Cookie @Keepalowprofile @Muriel Schwenck

She’s not suing the damn DAYCARE now is she?!
On December 10, 2016, Deacon Morin was found dead at a childcare canter in Fontana after he was strangled to death when a necklace he was wearing around his neck tightened and did not release.

@Sugar Cookie @Keepalowprofile @Muriel Schwenck

She’s not suing the damn DAYCARE now is she?!
The daycare should sue her for suffering the trauma of having the baby die at their child Care center.

The daycare should sue her for suffering the trauma of having the baby die at their child Care center.
I understand exactly what you’re saying! I just think it’s amusing in a twisted dark way I guess.. she’s on the blame game but not at the place the child..
(a) was either left unattended
(b) nonetheless it’s where it happened

Etsy is really just a selling platform, they didn't make or force her to put that thing on her child. Idk how some stones would help teething MORE SO than some actual legit Rite Aid bought teething meds, but hey it's her choice. MOM'S CHOICE. I've rec'd gifts and never used them bc i didn't like them or they weren't my style. SHE chose to take and use a gift that was given from a place she herself never researched. I get teething babies are atrocious unhappy little monsters but for god's sake, if the clasp was screw on (not the advertised break-away) SHE had the option to contact the seller direct - Etsy makes that very very easy! She probably could have had it refunded or replaced fairly quickly.

The daycare does not have deep pockets and the family was probably thinking Etsy would give them money to go away.

Why not sue the friend for giving the gift that killed the child.

@AngryLittleMexican

Even if it broke away the chilc could still have put it in their mouth and choked on it.

Even dog toys say do not leave dog unattended with the toy.

Last edited:
Like I said it is NOT got to fill the void.. unless she has no void and is just looking for money?! I cannot imagine worrying about something so trivial as money after loosing a child. I had problems just getting out of bed and getting through a whole day for my other children when I lost Kaiden. Where does the time and energy come to rally and sue deep pockets? When she wins.. really what has she accomplished.. nothing to fix Her heart.

The daycare does not have deep pockets and the family was probably thinking Etsy would give them money to go away.

Why not sue the friend for giving the gift that killed the child.

@AngryLittleMexican

Even if it broke away the chilc could still have put it in their mouth and choked on it.

Even dog toys say do not leave dog unattended with the toy.
Imagine how her friend must feel, consumed with guilt. :(

She's not suing the maker/seller of the item or the daycare because she does not think they have sufficient money. She is suing the deep pocket and hoping to win the lottery.

And also because they're in Lithuania and would just roll their eyes at an American lawsuit. Pretty sure that's the only lawsuit Moronic Mom Morin would have a chance of winning against, and that would only be if they were located in the US (or maybe Canada).

How embarrassing to publicize your own parental stupidity like this.

I've seen people using these teething beads, however the mother was wearing them and the baby was facing the mom, teething away ..

I still thought they seemed like a choking hazard but, at least mom was right there ..

It's just common sense to not give a baby something to wear around their neck, it's a choking hazard!!

Oh Good Grief! My 5 year old wanted me to tie a towel around his neck so he could play "Supterman", but I wouldn't do it. I took 2 diaper pins and pinned it to the back of his shirt, maybe not a better choice but it wasn't around his neck. This woman has only herself to blame, the beads should have never went to daycare with him. Should have never been around his neck. I would worry about it breaking and him choking on it, but, I guess, that's just me.

“Justice is never given; it is exacted.” —A. Philip Randolph

In October 2016, 18-month-old Baby Deacon was strangled to death by an amber teething necklace at a daycare center while his mother was away at work. The necklace had been purchased online and given to Baby Deacon’s mother by a friend as a baby shower gift.
As a loving father and founding partner of Carpenter & Zuckerman, trial lawyer John C. Carpenter was personally motivated to ensure that justice was served, both in honor of Baby Deacon and to protect all children from the dangerous product that killed Baby Deacon. In 2011, John and his wife put a similar amber teething necklace around the neck of their own daughter. They thought it was adorable.
It was not until the death of Deacon Morin that John realized how dangerous that choice was.
As such, John took it upon himself to intercede on behalf of all unsuspecting parents who, desperate to relieve their childrens’ pain, were being deceived by false medical claims about the alleged healing properties of amber teething necklaces. Carpenter & Zuckerman started the fight against these dangerous products in 2016, years before the FDA came out with its 2018 warning about the dangers of amber teething necklaces.
“The love of a child is precious and extremely valuable. This, above all else, fueled our fight for a just outcome in Baby Deacon’s case,” John said.
“Our firm took this case knowing that we would have to change the law in order to bring justice to Danielle Morin for the death of her son,” John continued.

Before this product liability and wrongful death case, online retailers would claim blanket immunity from any responsibility for deaths or injuries caused by the dangerous products they sold online.

Because manufacturers of dangerous products are often based in far-off countries, U.S. courts do not have jurisdiction over them. Foreign manufacturers who sell their dangerous products to Americans through online retailers escape responsibility when their products kill or injure innocent consumers. Carpenter & Zuckerman believes that, for the safety of all of us, it is imperative that somebody in the chain of distribution be held responsible for the dangerous products sold in the country.

“The law had to catch up with the reality that online sellers should be held responsible for the sale of defective products, just like brick-and-mortar stores,” explains John.

John Carpenter and his associate, trial lawyer Carlos Hernandez, and the whole team at Carpenter & Zuckerman are not deterred by legal challenges. When it comes to justice and safety, the attorneys at Carpenter & Zuckerman see it as their responsibility to ensure that the law keeps up with the world and the way we live in it. Dangerous products should not be sold online or in brick-and-mortar stores. The fact that we now purchase many products online should not put our children at risk.
John and Carlos’ precedent-setting legal work, along with Ms. Morin's unwavering resolve, has advanced the interests of ensuring that dangerous amber teething necklaces will not be sold in this country. With this legal victory, the world is now a safer place for all children.

So the children of America are all safer now that the amber teething necklace has been banned. As if that is all that is endangering the children, damn we dodged a bullet!

Back