• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Persephonae

Allen Parish authorities are investigating the discovery of the body of a near full-term baby allegedly miscarried and left in a storage shed for four days by a local zydeco musician while she toured out of state.

Peggy Kennedy, chief detective with the Allen Parish Sheriff’s Department, said Friday that Mary Rosie Ledet, of Iota, has not been arrested — only questioned — about the incident.

Kennedy said Ledet had the miscarriage July 1 in Iota, in Acadia Parish.

She then allegedly wrapped the baby in a blanket and rode with one of her band members, identified as Andre Nizari, to his home on Bel Oil Road, in Allen Parish.

Ledet then allegedly put the baby in a storage shed on Nizari’s property.

Kennedy said Nizari told authorities he was unaware of the miscarriage and did not know Ledet had allegedly brought the baby with her.

The two then left for a tour out of state and returned either Saturday or Sunday, Kennedy said.

Ledet’s Myspace Music page lists her band, Rosie Ledet and the Zydeco Playboys, as playing three shows in Sioux City, Iowa, July 2, 3 and 4.

When Ledet returned from the tour, she allegedly told Nizari about the miscarriage and the baby in his shed, Kennedy said.

Nizari called 911 and reported what Ledet had told him, Kennedy said.

Acadian Ambulance and the Allen Parish Sheriff’s Department responded to the scene.

Ledet was taken to a hospital in Jennings and was released later that day.

The baby was located and taken to a local funeral home until it could be sent to the Lafayette Parish Coroner’s Office for an autopsy.
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/50506647.html?index=1&c=y

WTF! I mean, even if the baby were stillborn how can you just stick it unceremoniously in a shed. :argh:

Last edited by a moderator:
She's known as the Zydeco Sweetheart, but now Rosie Ledet is at the center of an investigation surrounding a dead baby in Allen Parish.
[...]

No charges have been filed against Ledet, but an autopsy is still pending on the baby, which a preliminary report described as "near full term."

"We're not going to make an arrest until our investigation is complete, especially with the high profile, this woman is a musician, that has nothing to do with doing an investigation," said Detective Peggy Kennedy with the Allen Parish Sheriff's Department.

Authorities were not notified about the baby until July 5th. Investigators say Ledet told them she had a miscarriage at her home in Iota, then took the body, wrapped in a blanket to a shed behind a home on Bel Oil Road in Elton.

According to Ledet's website, she and her band had shows in Sioux City Iowa July 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. A representative at the Sioux City Convention Center says Ledet performed there all three days.

Autopsy and toxicology results on the baby aren't expected for another four to six weeks.
http://www.katc.com/Global/story.asp?S=10709181

My husband was an audio engineer for years and has done sound at festivals where she's played. We both have worked in the live music industry in some capacity and have seen and know of her and are surprised by this. She was well liked amongst her peers and had a reputation for being sweet. I will say though, not exactly in her defense, but the rural areas of this state hold old value systems based on hardship and survival that have not faded. I just hope that nothing turns up in that autopsy that shows that baby was alive and could have survived. There is no excuse for that if it could have lived.

Not so sweet eeh? Couldn't even stop to properly respect the passing of her baby. Very sad, and that is what people will remember her by.

I'll remember you little ones as Andel. Boy or girl it's fitting. Rest in peace sweet one.

I will say though, not exactly in her defense, but the rural areas of this state hold old value systems based on hardship and survival that have not faded.

Exactly what I was coming to post. Not justifying her behavior, but there's definitely a cultural disconnect between rural Cajun Louisiana and most of the rest of the world. These aren't 9-to-5 office workers in a big city; they're largely poor, uneducated, hardscrabble farmers and fishermen, except for the ones that work in chemical plants. They live off the land, eat what they grow and catch. Rosie may have escaped that lifestyle through her music, but that culture's deeply ingrained into her. And there ain't no time to mourn a stillborn baby when the live ones need to be fed, cher.

Exactly what I was coming to post. Not justifying her behavior, but there's definitely a cultural disconnect between rural Cajun Louisiana and most of the rest of the world. These aren't 9-to-5 office workers in a big city; they're largely poor, uneducated, hardscrabble farmers and fishermen, except for the ones that work in chemical plants. They live off the land, eat what they grow and catch. Rosie may have escaped that lifestyle through her music, but that culture's deeply ingrained into her. And there ain't no time to mourn a stillborn baby when the live ones need to be fed, cher.

better said than I, thanks

this shocks me, too. rosie was/is so well respected - not only by her zydeco peers, but by fans around the country. tho we hear that so often by friends and family members on this site. this is truly a shocker.

Not so sweet eeh? Couldn't even stop to properly respect the passing of her baby. Very sad, and that is what people will remember her by.

I'll remember you little ones as Andel. Boy or girl it's fitting. Rest in peace sweet one.

I'm with you on this one....My God....brings a whole new meaning to "The Show Must Go On !"

I somehow doubt she will be able to use "I was raised by working in the fields", as an excuse....(She doesn't appear to have that run down calluse look).....She gave birth, wrapped it up in a blanket and tossed it into a shed, til she finished her "TOUR" ....WTF

Even though the lady does indeed have talent, it's no excuse...People will only remember her as the cold hearted lady who tossed her baby to rot.

I didn't say it was ok, or that she was justified, and I wasn't trying to make excuses. She should have known better. I was just trying to illustrate the cultural differences and offer a little perspective.

I didn't say it was ok, or that she was justified, and I wasn't trying to make excuses. She should have known better. I was just trying to illustrate the cultural differences and offer a little perspective.

Yes, I see in your post above. ..You stated it doesn't justify her behavior, I agree. Rosie has escaped that poor farming life through her music, And i do get where your coming from with the culture differences...But I believe Rosie lives her culture through her music and that's about the extent of it for a girl her age..shes... Not much older then Britney Spears who is also from that area...I sure as hell hope she doesn't try to pull that card in her defense. That's where I was coming from.

It might just be because I'm in a bad mood, but I'm not very keen on that post of yours hunnie. Is there any way that you could perhaps elaborate on what you were trying to convey?

it may be 2009... but in a lot of ways the cajun ethic is still very 1889. Yes, the baby died. But you got a family of others to take care of, and you got a job to do and you can stop and mourn that baby when the job is done. Don't matter what the job is, it gets done first. THEN you got time to mourn.

I grew up in an a family that had the same point of view. It wasn't they didn't hurt deeply when something happened to a member of the family, but the work had to continue to care for the rest of the family.

I once saw my Daddy in the barn where he thought he was alone, crying over my Granddaddy. When he saw me, he turned away and went back to work. The luxury of just sitting down and grieving was not an option.

I think Hunnie was trying to say that although she understands the cultural differences of Cajuns that Brittany Spears is from Lousiana and she is also the same age yet she didn't kill any of her kids. Kind of a weak point, as I wouldn't hold Brittany up as a model mom, but i got what she meant. I think Hunnie may have equated Cajun=Louisiana, and it isn't the same.

Yes, no? Cause that is what i got and now i am curious also.:stupido3:

I think I understand what coffee is trying to say. While that mindset trying to be explained is unfathomable to most of us, it isn't to others. Unless that baby wasn't stillborn, then this is just a sad state of how things can be for different cultures. Especially in times where the economy is getting close to a depression.

Nell, Yes, Britney is a poor excuse for a Mother , just like Rosie.
That's why I listed her for an example, she's known as the swamp thang.
Here's something I found about Louisiana and the culture, It actually list alot about the Zydeco music and....... it mentions Rosie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zydeco

Look everyone who doesn't agree with me....that's wonderful, You have your opinion...and I am entitled to mine....The only believable excuse would be postpartum depression....Sorry I am not buying ... the culture might be the reason.

How can you deduce that Rosie is a poor excuse for a mother? All this article says is that she has allegedly miscarried and that the fetus was put in storage while she went on a tour. The worst that can come of this if the allegation is true is possibly abuse of a corpse. Or do miscarried fetuses even count as people?
Really, I understand that what she did is vile. I could not do something like that nor most mothers on this site.
I was just trying to get some insight into the correlation between heritage and it's effect on her disregard for her fetus. How strongly do people think her heritage truly affected her capacity to do such a thing? Or why else would she do it?
Personally, I don't think this is a matter of heritage. I think this is a woman who thought that since her child had been miscarried that it would have to wait since it was dead anyways. She had other things to tend to. I don't think this should be a reflection of her parenting though.

BTW...I don't know why you would refer to Britney as the swamp thang because she has probably never seen a swamp in her life. She is from Kentwood, LA a small town within the parish of Tangipahoa. Tangipahoa is a southeast parish of Louisiana and contains almost zero swamp land if any.

Last edited:
How can you deduce that Rosie is a poor excuse for a mother? All this article says is that she has allegedly miscarried and that the fetus was put in storage while she went on a tour. The worst that can come of this if the allegation is true is possibly abuse of a corpse. Or do miscarried fetuses even count as people?
Really, I understand that what she did is vile. I could not do something like that nor most mothers on this site.
I was just trying to get some insight into the correlation between heritage and it's effect on her disregard for her fetus. How strongly do people think her heritage truly affected her capacity to do such a thing? Or why else would she do it?
Personally, I don't think this is a matter of heritage. I think this is a woman who thought that since her child had been miscarried that it would have to wait since it was dead anyways. She had other things to tend to. I don't think this should be a reflection of her parenting though.

BTW...I don't know why you would refer to Britney as the swamp thang because she has probably never seen a swamp in her life. She is from Kentwood, LA a small town within the parish of Tangipahoa. Tangipahoa is a southeast parish of Louisiana and contains almost zero swamp land if any.

Sighs~ You ever heard of the ENQUIRER?.....That's their pet name for Brit, Brit...It's great to read about cultures and understand a persons beliefs....( You do have a point about the correlation between heritage and it's effects on her disregarding of her baby)....I am reading they really don't care how you bury your peeps there, but I haven't read deep enough to find out the details...I will ...She is under investigation, so having a baby and throwing it into a hot shed is a NO-NO there.It's more a matter of WHY would she choose not too seek medical attention , for her baby...and herself..... Was that Baby born alive? ...Could that baby have lived.. had she gone her happy ass to the hospital....If it was no big deal there, then she wouldn't be investigated by the police...They seem to want Rosie to answer a few questions.....I read a little about Rosie and it said she could careless about the music, and grew up listening to Rock-N-Roll...Then at age 16....she heard her first concert....and boom....The Lady has alot of talent....It's just too bad she will now have this stigma attached to her fame.....Reason why?....cuz I know Sky wants to know...LOL.... so I'll explain ... Her Fans...They all have beliefs of their own, They all over the place....(like the concert in Iowa for instance)

A good Momma "starts" when she knows shes carrying a child..certainly taking the time to go to a hospital when something is wrong..... why didn't she seek medical attention when she went into labor?....She needed to do that for 'her safety' she could have died from an infection..and what if they could have saved the baby...maybe her baby was stillborn, It still is fucked up to squat and give birth, and say Oh, shit this one is a goner....I'll just toss it into this shed, til I get back. I got a show to do.....Come on now....Seriously?...

I bet you it's Postpartum Depression, people go into shock after a trauma. It has to be the only excuse....

Any Questions?

Last edited:
If she killed the baby or could have done something to save it, throw her ass in jail. If the baby was stillborn then my opinion changes. For all we know, she went on tour to get money for the funeral. Funerals still cost major money even if the casket is tiny. My uncle had kidney disease and he had set aside money for his funeral just in case. In his words "because I know these people. They'll leave me on a park bench somewhere."

Last edited:
Hunnie,

1. I don't read the enquirer. I'm sorry that you fell into a mass belief of ignorance towards Brit's exact location and how she was raised.

2. We do take into consideration how we bury people out here. In places like New Orleans it is actually essential that we entomb people instead of bury them. A lot of families here do have private grave yards and mausoleums.

3. A woman can miscarry a child in a matter of seconds often times. I have a friend that miscarried her child while sweeping her kitchen floor. She said it happened within minutes and that she was in so much pain that she couldn't move. Also many women can confuse Braxton Hicks for actual contractions. Most women don't realize they are miscarrying until they start bleeding or their membranes rupture.

4. If the child was still born it probably did not move or cry at all after it came. Rosie lives in Iota or commonly know amongst those that speak french it is Pointe Aux Loups (Wolf Point). Iota is a very small town that probably doesn't have a population over 1500. There isn't a hospital there. Perhaps, once she saw that the child was still born she thought there was no point in doing all that driving to get to the hospital. Plus, it is not a crime to not seek medical attention for yourself once you have given birth.

5. No, it is not condoned to stick dead babies in hot sheds out here. Nor is it condoned anywhere else. Still if she really did miscarry then she is not a murderer just callous.

6. We don't know if she had prenatal care or not. Perhaps she did. There are women out there that still do not seek out prenatal care and usually do not arrive at the hospital until they are in labor. That does not automatically make them bad mothers. Might I also steal something from Athena....A fetus is usually not considered a life until it is born and has taken it's first breath. Many people still believe that a woman can do whatever the hell she wants to the fetus as long as it is in her body. Not that I agree, but it is still a common held belief. So, I still refuse to call her a bad mother based on the information that is given.

7. I personally believe that what Rosie did is WRONG. It isn't considered murder or bad parenting yet though. So let us not quibble any further until we have more information. If she is a murderer and a shitty mother then I will call her so accordingly.

Thanks!

Sometimes people just simply 'block out' traumatic things which happen to them. Maybe that's what she did.

If the baby was stillborn, she may have become detached from the situation, not known how to cope with it at that time, and so 'put it away' to be dealt with later.
Maybe focusing on her tour helped her to block out the trauma, or maybe she is a true professional who's creed is ''the show must go on''.

I'm not condoning what she did, but I do know that different people deal with grief and stress in very different ways. What appears to be an inconceivable reaction to one person is simply another persons normal coping mechanism.

What worries me most about this story is the fact that she was due to go on tour and the baby is described as 'near full term'. I just hope it doesnt show up in autopsy that she did something to induce the birth to get it out of the way before her tour.

Sept 23, 2009

Rosie Ledet could be charged with unlawful disposal of human remains. She's accused of giving birth to a still born baby in Acadia Parish then placing the fetus in a shed in Allen Parish.

http://www.katc.com/news/investigation-update-in-rosie-ledet-case/

Sep 25, 2009

Autopsy results on the fetus were inconclusive and the District Attorney in Allen Parish says no charges will be filed in the case since disposing of fetal remains is not unlawful.

Ledet is not facing any charges in Acadia Parish.

http://www.katc.com/news/rosie-ledet-will-face-no-charges-in-baby-death-case/

Back