• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

w8ng4msrgt

Trusted Member
tolson.jpg

Suffolk mother charged after toddler wanders into road

DAILY PRESS
3:04 PM EDT, June 23, 2008

SUFFOLK - Julia Tolson A 29-year-old mother was arrested Saturday after her 3-year-old child was found wandering barefoot in the roadway for the second time.

Julia E. Tolson, of the 7200 block of Harvest Drive in southwestern Suffolk, was charged with felony child abuse or neglect, Suffolk police Lt. Debbie George said.

In the most recent case, somebody found the child June16 in the roadway about a mile from his home. The child was taken to the home of an off-duty Suffolk detective. The detected notified on-duty investigators, who showed up at Tolson's home.

"Even though the child was with the off-duty detective for an hour, the mother was unaware that her child was missing until police arrived at her residence," George said in a news release.

Rest of story

johnson.jpg

Mother charged after child found wandering street twice

Posted: June 23, 2008 01:40 PM
Updated: June 23, 2008 01:40 PM

VENICE - A Venice mother behind bars for child neglect. Sarasota County Sheriff's Deputies say a neighbor found the 3-year-old wandering in the road on two separate occasions.

A report says 22-year-old Heather Johnson was asleep and didn't realize her daughter had been missing last Tuesday for more than an hour.

A neighbor found the girl walking along the roadway.

Johnson told deputies that her father didn't wake her up when he went to work. A report says Johnson "did not appear upset" that the girl had been gone for so long.

Deputies warned the woman that any more incidents like that could result in serious consequences.

Then on sunday, the same story. A citizen called 911 after seeing a little girl walking in the road in the 500 block of Sunset Beach Drive in Venice.

The responding deputy found the same 3-year-old unharmed and took her into protective custody.

The report says everyone at the girl's house was asleep and again, no one realized she was missing this time for about 30 minutes.

Johnson is charged with child neglect and is in the Sarasota County Jail without bond.

Link

Maybe one of the mods can change the title to "Moms Who Let Their 3 yo Wander"

W8ng, there could actually be a whole new section for this crap. Seems like there have been 4 or 5 just in the past few weeks!!

This seems to be a habit, therefore I say bad. I have similar story. My daughter was 3, we were at home watching Beauty and the Beast about 3pm. She fell asleep in my lap and so did I soon after. I guess about an hour or so later I get a knock at my door. My neighbor had my daughter and told me he had found her wandering around out in front of the house. Well, I was freaked out to say the least. It didn't happen again. Thank goodness she was okay. Anything could have happened.I learned a lesson and chains and locks were engaged whenever naps or bedtime came. Meg was a little shit. She would get up in the middle of night and get into things, sometimes wake up her little brother and they would have 2am parties or something. One time they got up and got into a bowl of sour cream and smeared it everywhere. ANother time they took balls off the Christmas tree and were smashing them on the floor. I woke up to pop-pop-pop. I asked myself "what the hell is that?" That's the sound of glass balls being thrown on tile. I invested in a half-door so I could lock the bottom and still not have her closed off if she needed me. BTW, she is 17 and still a little shit, and a lovely girl.:typing:
Sorry for the book.

This seems to be a habit, therefore I say bad. I have similar story. My daughter was 3, we were at home watching Beauty and the Beast about 3pm. She fell asleep in my lap and so did I soon after. I guess about an hour or so later I get a knock at my door. My neighbor had my daughter and told me he had found her wandering around out in front of the house. Well, I was freaked out to say the least. It didn't happen again. Thank goodness she was okay. Anything could have happened.I learned a lesson and chains and locks were engaged whenever naps or bedtime came. Meg was a little shit. She would get up in the middle of night and get into things, sometimes wake up her little brother and they would have 2am parties or something. One time they got up and got into a bowl of sour cream and smeared it everywhere. ANother time they took balls off the Christmas tree and were smashing them on the floor. I woke up to pop-pop-pop. I asked myself "what the hell is that?" That's the sound of glass balls being thrown on tile. I invested in a half-door so I could lock the bottom and still not have her closed off if she needed me. BTW, she is 17 and still a little shit, and a lovely girl.:typing:
Sorry for the book.

I had the same issue with my two oldest girls.. they'd get up in the middle of the night and creep downstairs to the kitchen and help themselves to whatever was in the cabinet.. the oldest... 4yrs old at the time, tried to make kool-aid.. :p my kitchen was a complete mess. I'd just had my son then, so my sister helped clean everything up. I refused to lock them in their rooms though, because I had a horrid fear of fire breaking out.

~ceisdsgil

I had the same issue with my two oldest girls.. they'd get up in the middle of the night and creep downstairs to the kitchen and help themselves to whatever was in the cabinet.. the oldest... 4yrs old at the time, tried to make kool-aid.. :p my kitchen was a complete mess. I'd just had my son then, so my sister helped clean everything up. I refused to lock them in their rooms though, because I had a horrid fear of fire breaking out.

~ceisdsgil
Glad I am not alone....
For me, on one floor the half door was great.

I understand how this happens. Jakob a few weeks ago began to feel the urge to be outside.

Now that the weather is warm and we have been spending our days outside, he wants to be out there all day. He began running to the door and can actually unlock and open it. I have to remind everyone to make sure their doors are locked so he can't get out. The first time he got the door open and began to run outside we went right to the store and got a chain lock and a bolt.

Of course he is trying to figure a way to unlock those too, he just hasn't found a toy big enough to climb on and reach the locks. He is incredibly adventurous and doesn't fear a thing.

So yeah, I can understand this happening but I can't imagine the police returning the child more then onc without the mom realizing the kid is gone. I don't expect anything like that to happen until Jakob is a teenager.

Last edited:
Glad I am not alone....
My daughters were 3 when they decided to go to the store. It was 6:30 in the morning. They put on their little windbreakers and grabbed their play purses. I woke about shortly after they left and was standing in the street in a major panic hollering their names when the neighbor rounded the corner with them.

After that, I wedged knives into the door jambs (high above their reach) at night. It was a rental house so I couldn't put on more locks. Even in a town of 700, your kids getting loose is a scary deal.

Back