• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Victoria

Intrepid Sojourner
Bold Member!
It started with a ride down an escalator in 2015, and escalated rapidly. From the first cries of "rapists" invading our country to dog whistles like "Stand back, stand by," Donald Trump's dangerous delusions of power and control brought this country to the brink of collapse, and everyone who allowed that to happen is an enabler and a collaborator.

From White House cronies and sycophants who shared in Trump's power fantasies and deep contempt for large swaths of Americans, to his equally evil children and Republicans in the Senate led by Mitch McConnell, to America's attorney general, to the doctors at Walter Reed who agreed to lie for the president and to sign non-disclosure agreements, thereby violating their Hippocratic oath, to the ICE bullies who separated infants and children from their parents and incarcerated them in cold, filthy camps, to the former heads of the CDC and FDA who caved after White House pressure, to irresponsible media moguls, they are all responsible for the terrifying threat of autocracy we faced, and the increase in violence that culminated at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

Together, they are responsible for militias that felt emboldened in their militarism and for bad cops who mercilessly shoot to death Black and brown men and women. They are responsible for the resurgent KKK and groups like the Proud Boys. They are responsible for federal courts being packed with ultra-conservative lifetime judges, and a Supreme Court that saw the demure but deadly Any Comey Barrett added to its ranks. In short, they are responsible for the near-demise of democracy.

Adding to why we are on the edge of another Great Depression, and responsible for America's damaged standing in the world, Donald Trump's enablers and collaborators aided and abetted the disasters in our health, education and infrastructure systems, the filth in our water and the comeback of chemicals in our food. They are responsible for the deaths of almost half a million Americans who died needlessly because the super-spreader in chief just didn't give a damn.

Indeed, they are responsible for the Mussolini moment" we witnessed on the balcony of our dictator's palace, and they, like him, bear the guilt of negligent homicide and crimes against humanity.

They also exemplify the "banality of evil" that philosopher Hannah Arendt warned us about when she reported on the trial of Adolf Eichmann, a major architect of the Holocaust. Eichmann was, he insisted to the court in Jerusalem, simply following orders.

So were White House staff, Secret Service officers who vowed to give their life for the president (but not in a hermetically sealed vehicle), employees of government agencies who didn't speak up or quit their jobs in order to save the country, business moguls who didn't end their major donations to a corrupt fraud, and Fox News, which wouldn't stand up to a lunatic when he blamed everyone else for our disasters and incited violence. So too are the voters who inexplicably still stood with their man — in greater numbers the second time around — even though everything he does hurts them the most.

Every one of these people is the banality of evil personified. Every one of them became what Arendt called a "leaf blowing in the whirlwind of time." Now every one of them bears responsibility for what could lie ahead.

Of course, some brave souls did stand up to the president. And every one of them did it knowing that they would be punished mightily. Think about those who gave testimony before Congress, the lawyers and doctors who wrote letters and petitions, the activists who marched and were willing to suffer the consequences, including injury, arrest and jail time, the Capitol Police who tried to stop a violent coup. They are our national heroes, the ones for whom new monuments should be built.

As for the rest of us, we must remember and own the fact that a great malignancy metastasized within our national body and many of us let it happen. We watched it ravage us and slowly terrorize us. We let it kill people we knew and loved. We looked the other way, always sure that it couldn't get worse.

Now we need to understand that the "silence of one good man" can spell disaster for all good people. Each of us who remained passive as our impending disaster continued might have been the one "good man" who didn't act, didn't speak out, didn't resist, while men like Jeff Sessions, Stephen Miller and Donald Trump insisted that infants be ripped from their mothers' breasts. Men who didn't care that innocent people were dying from gun violence, a plague, hunger and violence, which they fostered. Men who didn't care about pre-existing conditions or elders who rely on Social Security to survive. Men who didn't care that women would be catapulted back to the Dark Ages.

... article continues

1613856273925.png Escaping the "Mussolini moment": Trump's enablers and the banality of evil

Last edited:
News flash: Trump is no longer president.
Stop obsessing about Trump and those who liked him and get to work fixing all those problems he supposedly created. Biden said it's going be like the Obama admin all over again. All is back to normal.
Of course they have to keep obsessing over Trump, otherwise the media would have to focus on Biden's actual performance.

News Flash... All the nasty shit you post is biased and one sided. No one cares nearly as much as you seem to. But go ahead, triple down on stoopid. You're a master at it. :kiss:
She doesn’t know what she’s posting, she doesn’t read any of it, just goes to any left wing rag and copies/past like crazy. Her opinion is whatever CNN tells her it is

Last edited:
@knockout

I read extensively and know very well what I am posting. One can't be blamed if Trump has no positive news. If you or BuffettGirl find some you are more than welcome to put it on the board.

Also do some read backs on the other Trump threads and you will find I use numerous sources.

Impeachment is over. But other efforts to reckon with Trump’s post-election chaos have just begun

The state of Michigan and the city of Detroit have asked a federal judge to sanction attorneys who filed lawsuits that falsely alleged the November vote was fraudulent, the first of several similar efforts expected around the country.

An Atlanta-area prosecutor has launched a criminal investigation into whether pressure that President Donald Trump and his allies put on state officials amounted to an illegal scheme to overturn the results of the presidential election.

And defamation lawsuits have been filed against Trump’s allies — the start of what could be a flood of civil litigation related to false claims that the election was rigged and to the subsequent riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

Although Trump was acquitted by the Senate on a charge that his rhetoric incited the deadly Capitol siege, public officials and private companies are pursuing a multi-front legal effort to hold him and his allies accountable in other ways. The actions target the former president and numerous others — including elected officials, media pundits and lawyers — who indulged and echoed his falsehoods that President Biden did not win the election.

And defamation lawsuits have been filed against Trump’s allies — the start of what could be a flood of civil litigation related to false claims that the election was rigged and to the subsequent riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

Although Trump was acquitted by the Senate on a charge that his rhetoric incited the deadly Capitol siege, public officials and private companies are pursuing a multi-front legal effort to hold him and his allies accountable in other ways. The actions target the former president and numerous others — including elected officials, media pundits and lawyers — who indulged and echoed his falsehoods that President Biden did not win the election.

The goal, according to lawyers and others supportive of such efforts, is to mete out some form of punishment for those who helped undermine confidence in the election results and fueled the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol. But even more, they said, they hope to discourage other public officials from rerunning Trump’s strategy of attempting to overturn an election result by sowing doubt about the legitimacy of the vote.

“There has to be some consequence for telling these lies — because when you lie to people, they take action based on what they think is true,” said Philadelphia City Commissioner Al Schmidt, a Republican who received threats after false allegations of fraud in the counting of the city’s votes. “Because it’s such a dangerous new thing that occurred, there has to be some reconciliation. Moving on isn’t enough.”

A federal judge in D.C. late Friday referred one lawyer for possible disciplinary action. Still, it’s not yet clear how far courts will go in pursuing sanctions against lawyers who may have believed in their own conspiracy theories, or whether prosecutors will ultimately bring criminal charges related to the election. The civil litigation could linger for years.

... article continues

1613957165069.png
Impeachment is over. But other efforts to reckon with Trump’s post-election chaos have just begun.

Last edited:
Hate Trump and dont see how anyone can stand the guy for a second. One of the most profoundly ignorant, offensive, dumbest human beings on the planet. I would agree his rhettoric was significantly damaging to America/American society and did contribute to a lot of nasty stuff and i think anyone who would argue otherwise on that point is unreasonably biased to the point where they choose to deliberately ignore what's right in front of their face.

That said, articles like this take it wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too far. They make it out like some outrageous extreme as if he's riling up the Klan itself to take back shit. Ridiculous.

I think it's true too that Trump was merely speaking to the base. Trump didnt create these thoughts or ideals, he merely spoke to what already existed and like a parasitic organism, benefited from their support as he latched onto them and their pre-existing extreme belief system to ride his way to political success. The amount of sole blame fuckers choose to pin on the man is extremely dumb and misguided. America created Trump, Trump didn't create the America envisioned/criticized/etc. by articles like this. They get it backward and do a disservice to the realities of current American society(by current i include the socio-political climate of 2015). Again, it existed already, people were waiting for someone like Trump to merely embrace them.

Supreme Court again rejects Trump's bid to shield tax returns, other financial records from Manhattan Prosecutor

The Supreme Court on Monday rejected former president Donald Trump’s last-chance effort to keep his private financial records from the Manhattan district attorney, ending a long and drawn-out legal battle.

After a four-month delay, the court denied Trump’s motion in a one-sentence order with no recorded dissents.

District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. has won every stage of the legal fight — including the first round at the Supreme Court — but has yet to receive the records he says are necessary for a grand jury investigation into whether the president’s companies violated state law.

Vance responded to the court decision with a three-word tweet: “The work continues.”

The current fight is a follow-up to last summer’s decision by the high court that the president is not immune from a criminal investigation while he holds office.

“No citizen, not even the president, is categorically above the common duty to produce evidence when called upon in a criminal proceeding,” Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. wrote for the majority in that 7 to 2 decision.

... article continues

1614013462588.png
Supreme Court again rejects Trump’s bid to shield tax returns, other financial records from Manhattan prosecutor

Trump Can No Longer Play Hide and Seek With His Taxes

Why has Donald Trump tried so hard to keep his taxes returns a secret?

The Supreme Court's rejection of an attempt by Donald Trump to keep Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance from seeing his tax returns (and other financial documents) was rightly cast as a major legal setback for the former President.

But buried in that conclusion is this nagging question: What is Trump so afraid of? As in: Why has he fought so incredibly hard for the past five-plus years to keep anyone from seeing his taxes?

Remember that Trump's view on releasing his tax returns was not always what it is today.

"If I decide to run for office, I'll produce my tax returns, absolutely," Trump said in 2014.. "And I would love to do that." The following year, Trump told conservative radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt, "I would certainly show tax returns if it was necessary."

In January 2016, Trump was still dangling the possibility of releasing his returns. "I have very big returns, as you know, and I have everything all approved and very beautiful and we'll be working that over in the next period of time," Trump said on NBC's Meet the Press. "Absolutely."

But then something changed. By February 2016, Trump, who was starting to look more and more like the GOP presidential nominee, was starting to backtrack on his previous promises. "We'll make a determination over the next couple of months," he told CNN's Anderson Cooper in an interview that aired on February 24, 2016. "It's very complicated."

By the following day, Trump had found his excuse for not releasing his returns; "I get audited. And obviously if I'm being audited, I'm not going to release a return," he said. "As soon as the audit is done, I love it."

That, of course, is a flimsy excuse -- since there is no law against any person releasing their tax returns while under audit. (Richard Nixon did it while he was in the White House.) The "audit" -- which apparently is still going on! -- was simply a convenient cover for a decision Trump made sometime in late January or early February 2016: That releasing his returns would be far more politically damaging than the negative publicity he would take for not releasing them.

Trump became the only major party presidential candidate in the post-Watergate era to never release any of his tax returns.

... article continues

1614141207958.png

Here's Where It Get's Interesting On Trumps Taxes

1614460731591.png

Few things are certain in life, other than death -- and that Donald Trump's tax returns would inevitably be released.

Manhattan prosecutors have long been trying to obtain Trump's returns and related documents from the Trump Organization. These had been subpoenaed back in 2019; Trump's lawsuit to conceal them always seemed more about delay than meritorious legal
issues.

This information will likely be in the hands of Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance and his team for their grand jury investigation within the next few days.

And now things will get interesting. While Trump's lawyers have repeatedly tried to characterize the DA's probe as being just about hush-money payments to adult film actress Stormy Daniels and former Playboy model Karen McDougal in the lead-up to the 2016 election, Vance's office has long maintained that it is investigating much more than that.

Vance's team has not been twiddling its thumbs while waiting for the court to clear the way for Trump's accountants to hand over the documents. Vance added forensic investigators to the team and earlier this month swore in a highly experienced former federal prosecutor. Subpoenas have been issued, investigatory leads have been followed and witnesses have been interviewed.

One of them, Michael Cohen, Trump's former lawyer and fixer, has been interviewed at least four times, including as recently as Thursday, according to news reports. And the pace of the investigation will only accelerate now.

But while untangling eight years of complicated financial transactions can take time, Vance's team likely is not starting from ground zero, even with respect to documents that Trump is being forced to turn over for the first time. Not only have investigators learned a lot about Trump's potential criminality from their independent probe over the last year and a half, it's entirely possible that prosecutors already had access to the tax returns and some of the other information that the former president's accountants will now officially release.

The fact is, prosecutors and their investigators have sources, just like reporters do, and if the New York Times got copies of Trump's tax returns, Vance's team may have as well.

Even where prosecutors obtain information informally, they still need to obtain the information through official channels to comply with evidentiary requirements and establish the documents' authenticity and chain of custody. But if Vance's team did get some or all of these documents through a leak or an informant, for example, they will already have been able to move ahead with investigatory steps based on that information.

If they have, we may be closer to the end of this investigation than the beginning. Former president Trump reportedly has been quite worried about a possible prosecution for his role in the January 6 insurrection. I suspect, given the vitriolic statement issued Monday about losing the tax returns subpoena -- it was a "fishing expedition" he said, and he was being "persecuted"-- that he is very worried about the Vance investigation as well.

He should be. It has taken many months of legal wrangling for Vance's subpoena to be honored; it may be just a matter of weeks before he is in a position to make charging decisions.

article continues

1614462475659.png Opinion: Here's where it gets interesting on Trump's taxes

CNN, for those that can’t think for themselves

Seriously Knockout, it doesn't really matter what source I use. The various news agencies report, MSNBC, CNN, New York Times, New York Post. Politico, News Week, Time, Fox, The Washington Post, USA Today, Business Insider and more.

I read at them all.

I married into a politically active family and have closely followed politics ever since. I don't think the problem is with the sources I use. I think the problem is you don't like what the sources report.

Last edited:
Back