• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Should students be allowed to opt out of a Black History Month assembly

• yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A Denver high school has come under fire for giving parents an 'opt-out' form that allowed their children to skip a Black History Month assembly.

George Washington High School in Denver sent out an email on Tuesday saying that the school would host an African-American Heritage Month assembly in March and attached a form that would allow parents to exclude their kids from the event.

'Students who opt-out of the assembly will be supervised in the library for the duration of the assembly and will return to their second-period class at the conclusion of the assembly to continue the school day,' the letter said.

But the school faced major backlash from the community and outraged parents, leading the school principal to retract the opt-out offer the following day.

It's not clear if any parents actually pulled their kids from attending the assembly.

Angry phone calls poured in to the school and to the Denver Public Schools district office saying that they were disappointed that an assembly on black heritage was allowed to be skipped, according to the Denver Post.

'This is the type of systemic racism that we are talking about that pervades DPS at its core. Since when do students get to "opt-out" of Black History Month assemblies?!?!? It's the same with having teachers "opt-out" of racial bias training and having school leaders "opt-out" of best practices in discipline of its Black population,' Ashemu posted on Facebook on Wednesday.

'Everyday this is the type of microaggressions that Black faculty, parents and students have to face in this racist system,' he added.

The opt-out option was particularly controversial because, according to staff, the school is already segregated.

If someone doesn't want to go, let them skip. Same with the stupid "spirit assemblies" before games. Any assembly, in fact.

If something was happening at school that I didn't like or want to be a part of, I would skip school. I did it all through high school and college.

Segregated how? Is it formally segregted, like per school policy? OR is it just in a white area to where theres pretty much only whites.

Bizarre fucking bit of idiocy. My biggest beef isnt due to racism, it's cuz it makes me sick to my stomach to think a kid is being taught if theres something they dont want to do, they dont have to do it. Not how life works. Kids need to have their wills broken and broken brutally early on, and taught consistiently throughout their childhoods that life is ALL ABOUT being forced to do things you hate doing and that ther eis absolutely no way out of it.

Back