• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Hat tip to ghosttruck.

[....]
The animals are called “zombie raccoons” because when they have the disease, they sometimes walk on their back legs, stagger and bare their teeth.

There has been a spike in the number of confirmed cases in the Riverside area. The police chief issued a warning to pet owners after three raccoons tested positive and had to be euthanized.

Officials have urged dog owners to keep a close eye on their pet and be mindful that distemper is airborne contagious and can be passed along rather easily.

Dr. Christa Baumgartner, a veterinarian, said it’s not something anyone should mess around with and said vaccination is a must.

“When our dogs are exposed to coughing or sneezing, it can stay in the environment for a while. If your dog is in the backyard, and this is especially true of unvaccinated dogs like puppies, and a raccoon has been in the area, it can be spread by most bodily fluids,” she said. “If you’re feeding wild life and that raccoon ate out of your bowl of cat food for your stray cats and your puppy goes over, the saliva can also be contagious.”

Distemper affects the respiratory, gastrointestinal and nervous systems

Symptoms include watery eyes and nose discharge, sneezing, coughing, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures and in extreme cases, death.

Anyone who suspects a raccoon they’ve seen may be affected should call police or animal control.

You're not?!? I hadn't heard about this. Those folks had better be prepared for some needlessly high vet bills and/or dead dogs.

and cats. Speaking of which I once was walking down my dirt road with my cat and I noticed my cat stopped. I then saw a dizzy raccoon ambling straight toward me. I nonchalantly walked around the field next to my house and got away from it. Scared the crap out of me. 15 minutes later I drove down the road to go to the store and saw it on the side, sitting there with flies all over its face and it was trembling. I felt soooo bad for it. Called DEM who came and shot it.

Back