• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Crazy Cat Lady

Dazed and confused
Bold Member!
Photos of immigrants being dropped off by charter buses (right down the street from my house) have been circulating on social media. The mayor has asked the Police Department to find out where the illegals are staying. I did see an update saying that they're staying with relatives, but they're still illegals.

Greg Abbott has confirmed that he has sent busses of immigrants to the metro area, but why they're being sent here, I can't figure out. Phillipsburg is a GOP-led town.

Other mayors in NJ, including Democrats, have been pushing back against the influx, so despite having a Democratic governor, we're not completely woke here.

And no one I've talked to in town is happy about this. Just last week there was an armed robbery at a vape shop down the street.

Does Phillipsberg have shelters and things like that, anything set up for this?

Perhaps it's not only supposed to be a message to office holders that are Democrat but it also helps to galvanize other Republican politicians, regional, county, town levels, gaining more support, when they come to their town, whereas Democratic leadership will roll easier with it, and that's not impactful ?
Well, maybe it is. Maybe it's 2 pronged?

This is an interesting article I linked below, but here's a quote:

"There is little evidence that immigrants — or even undocumented immigrants — cause more crime. Still, there is enough ambiguity in the data — or so little hard data — that it’s difficult to point to conclusive findings that would change opinions.

“This view that the person’s undocumented status is an aggravating factor is also likely a reason why these crimes generate such strong responses.”

Aggravating.
I think I get it now. It's not that people necessarily believe they bring more crime, but whenthey do commit crimes, and they will, there's always a % in any population, it's EXTRA aggravating.

ETA let us know what it's the mayor comes up with from the police department about the numbers and what the plan is, please

This is now being downplayed. The Warren County Prosecutor says that the assumption that these men are illegals is "inappropriate" and that the men are staying with relatives and are asylum-seekers. Whether this is true or not, who knows? The fact is that they're here and more will follow.

@Blunderbuss Firozabad, there are shelters here in town and a lot of food banks in the area, but I don't think there's anything specific set up to handle migrants. NJ is a sanctuary state, but that might change after our Democratic Governor leaves office.

Do asylum seekers fill out paperwork in advance or...some do, some don't, and show up at the border and try to start the process?

I assume that illegals are considered to be the ones that cross borders undetected, undocumentèd, and asylum seekers are from countries where there are....wait...what's the difference between asylum seekers and refugees?
One's "permanent", one's temporary and because of a conflict or natural disaster?

Are all these groups being lumped together as "illegals"? In the statistics?

Sorry for all the questions.

According to the County Prosecutor:

“In order for asylum seekers to be permitted entry to the United States, they must obtain a sponsor, the prosecutor explained. That’s the difference between illegal entry and asylum seeking. Asylum seekers must prove the case that returning to their home nation could likely result in immediate danger.”

But I don’t know if the two groups are lumped together in the statistics.

In some cases it's semantics, tomato, tomahto

IN SOME CASES.

Either to lump all refugees into the illegal camp or to lump all illegals into the refugee camp, depends on what side of the line the lumpers are standing on and what impression they are trying to portray.

"In the United States, the major difference between refugees and asylees is the location of the person at the time of application.

Refugees are usually outside the United States when they are screened for resettlement, whereas asylum seekers submit their applications while physically present in the United States or at a U.S. port of entry.."

And the president sets the limit yearly? (proposes it and sends it to congress for approval, the Presidential Determination for refugees)

In some cases it's semantics, tomato, tomahto

I think half the arguments here are because people aren't talking about the same thing.

This is not a wealthy town. I’ll bet those guys wish they’d stayed on the bus. View attachment 107839
Jesus, that's a grim part of town. About how many do they reckon were dropped off? It looks like maybe a half dozen? I assumed would be more like a hundred.
Asylum seekers, can't work for a year, now what?
Where are they walking to? A church?
Small towns are all the same, who's going to stick their neck out and rent accommodations to them?
Any idea what their country of orgin is?
What's the homeless situation in your town?

Jesus, that's a grim part of town. About how many do they reckon were dropped off? It looks like maybe a half dozen? I assumed would be more like a hundred.
Asylum seekers, can't work for a year, now what?
Where are they walking to? A church?
Small towns are all the same, who's going to stick their neck out and rent accommodations to them?
Any idea what their country of orgin is?
What's the homeless situation in your town?
The whole downtown area is grim. Empty storefronts everywhere, and people who open shops or restaurants go broke and leave.

I think about half a dozen people were dropped off, but no one has seen them since, so I guess they really are with relatives. I have no idea where they’re from, but I’ll bet they wish they’d stayed there.

There’s a church right across the street from where they were dropped off, but I doubt that they went there.

Last I heard, there are about 300 homeless in town. Most of them live by the river, but sometimes they do walk around town.

Back