• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
1638915319760.png

A Florida police officer sent explicit text messages to a 15-year-old boy and tried to entice him to a nude beach, federal prosecutors said.

Juan Antonio Garcia, a 30-year-old cop in Fort Pierce federal court after allegedly sending the explicit texts discovered by the teen’s father in late November, according to the US Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Florida.

A federal criminal complaint claims Garcia also asked the boy to accompany him to a nude beach in Florida’s St. Lucie County and to perform sexual acts.

“It is alleged that Garcia instructed the minor via text message to put on a condom (which Garcia provide to the minor), masturbate and send Garcia a photograph of the condom after the minor ejaculated,” federal prosecutors said in a statement.

Garcia also told the boy to send him video of himself masturbating and asked whether he would perform oral sex on him, prosecutors said.

The officer then asked the teen to meet him at a park for oral sex on Nov. 23, one day after investigators got the initial report of the alleged texts.

“When Garcia arrived at the park, law enforcement officers apprehended him,” federal prosecutors said.

Court documents obtained by the Miami Herald show Garcia — who was arrested on charges of traveling to meet a minor and using a computer to solicit a minor — knew the boy for about five years prior to allegedly sending the texts.

The boy had also recently started working for Garcia at the officer’s taco truck, telling investigators their texts were initially innocuous before turning racy, WPBF reported.

“You down to try it?” Garcia asked regarding the nude beach, the complaint shows.

“Want to experiment?” the officer allegedly asked the boy at another point.

The boy’s father went to authorities in Martin County on Nov. 22 to report finding the racy texts on his cellphone. Garcia, meanwhile, admitted asking the boy to send him lewd videos and photos following his arrest, according to the criminal complaint.

The Sewall’s Point Police Department has put Garcia on administrative leave without pay pending an ongoing investigation, federal prosecutors said.

A former Sewall's Point police officer will spend nearly 26 years in federal prison, a judge ordered, for charges related to using his cell phone to solicit sex from a teenage boy he’d befriended, court records show.

Juan Antonio Garcia, 31, initially was arrested in December 2021 by the Martin County Sheriff's Office on two counts of lewd computer solicitation of a child and one count of traveling to meet a minor for unlawful sexual activity following an investigation that began the month before, according to court filings.
Garcia has been held in detention since his federal arrest.
In April, Garcia pleaded guilty to attempted production of visual depiction of sexual exploitation of minors, and attempted enticement of a minor to engage in sexual activity.
Garcia, she noted, “took advantage of an existing familiar and supervisory relationship to attempt to sexually abuse and exploit a 15-year-old boy for his own sexual gratification.
“Perhaps what makes the defendant’s conduct most egregious is that he committed these acts while actively on duty as a Sewall’s Point police officer,” Bergstrom wrote. “Instead of protecting the community, the defendant chose to spend his overnight shift relentlessly pursuing sexually explicit images and, eventually, a sexual encounter with a minor.”

In labeling Garcia a “dangerous predator in the community he clamed to serve,” Bergstrom urged he receive a sentence that signaled “such behavior is abhorrent and will be punished harshly.”
Garcia, in a handwritten letter to Cannon, pleaded for leniency and admitted he’d “made a big mistake in his life.”

He’d lost his way, he wrote, “after some life hardships, which has now, not only cost me my career, business and freedom but also my biggest jewel, my family.”
During a sentencing hearing Monday, Cannon imposed two 310-month prison terms, or about 25.8 years, to be served at the same time, followed by 20 years of supervision, records show.

i also would like to know why his sentence is harsher than someone raping a child ,especially one under 10 years old, be it a parent, teacher, a sitter etc because to a child they are all persons of authority and on duty while they have a child in their care and their duty is to protect the child

Anyone know why this would be a federal case vs a state case? Is it because it's a "cyber" crime?

I looked it up

"Enticement of a child through the use of an electronic device may be prosecuted at both the state and federal levels.
This is because that while enticing a minor with the intention of engaging in sexual relations is what triggers the state to prosecute, it’s the use of the federal mail system, including any facility or means of interstate or foreign commerce (such as the internet) that is a crime under federal law."

"A minimum 10-year sentence must be imposed by the court when the victim is under 18, with the possibility of life imprisonment in certain circumstances."

i also would like to know why his sentence is harsher than someone raping a child ,especially one under 10 years old, be it a parent, teacher, a sitter etc because to a child they are all persons of authority and on duty while they have a child in their care and their duty is to protect the child

I tried to learn a little about this today, and I'm going to say it's because the Feds have a strict minimum, and a consistent standard of law to apply.

When the Feds aren't involved, it's up to state law, and those come in a bewildering array with flexible punishments and the oddly worded statutes.
Unless a case becomes a federal one, sentences are going to vary wildly.
Cases only become federal when, for example, the sex crime occurred on federal property, involved interstate activity, or is aggravated (or extremely severe), thereby triggering federal criminal laws.

That's the short answer @runninfawn , you don't really have to read the rest, it just adds details about the variations and upside down sentences we see here in the U.S.

In Canada is it similar? Provinces have their own set of laws?

Here's a few state laws about statutory rape which I think is what child rape/ molestation falls under.

1000010441.jpg

There don't seem to be a lot of minimum sentences, unlike the Federal law.

•Kentucky is an exception, intercourse with anyone under 12 is a 20 year minimum.

•Louisiana differentiates between whether consent is given by a 12 year old or not, ĺand it's called "carnal knowledge". I like the "with or without hard labor though.

•Maine "Other than his spouse".

•Maryland is oddly specific about "vaginal" intercourse.

•Massachusetts "Criminal inducement to a person under 18 of chaste life to have unlawful sexual intercourse"?
Chaste or not, sexual experience doesn't translate into emotional maturity.
The laws of consent were originally to preserve female virginity, but morphed onto the recognition that children are unable to give informed consent, and that's what the laws are about now, and why the victims sexual history, clothing, actions, etc. have no bearing.

Also, the State has a strong interest is the prevention of illegitimate teenage pregnancies.

Preserving virginity for marriage and preventing pregnancy was the concept behind the laws when they were first enacted, maybe that's why under 18 boys were overlooked or not included for so long?

1000010442.jpg

Southern states really seem to have their laws together better than anyone else with minimum sentences and clear statutes.

•Arizona seems to get it right. Of you're over 18 and you engage in sexual conduct to engage in intercourse with someone under 12 its automatic life in prison, no parole eligibility for 35 years.

•California? Smh. Shame on them
They don't differentiate between 16 and 12, so, no specific category for under 12.
It can be a felony OR a misdemeanor.

Sorry @runninfawn that this is so long, I was only going to give that first set of examples, but I'm finding the differences between states very interesting, I hope you do as well.

1000010443.jpg

•Delaware specifies 4th degree rape is with someone under 18 and the actor is at least 30 years older.

•Florida must have separate statues.(these charts are just snippets)

°Illinois references victims under 9 and has impressive minimum sentences. Compared to no minimum.

1000010444.jpg

I added Indiana because of those mitigating/aggravating formulas of 4 sùbtracted/10 added.

I read a bit today and the things that fall under
mitigating can be:

Whether or not the offender has mental health or substance abuse disorders that led to their criminal behavior.
•Lack of a criminal record.
•A lack of sexually explicit communication between the offender and his or her victim.
•Whether the behavior was isolated to only one victim or many.
•Lack of Force or Coercion
•Mistake-in-age (sometimes)

Under aggravating can be: (Abd probably there are enhancement laws, like the one the first one on the list, the one that you spoke of)

A position of trust
Where the victim submits to sexual intercourse under the belief that the person committing the act is a spouse, or it's a medical exam.
The careful planning of the rape;
Breaking into a house to commit rape knowing the presence of the victim alone inside the house;
Covert use of a drug to overcome resistance or obliterate memory;
The presence of children when the rape is committed;
A history of sexual assaults or violence by the offender against the victim.
Violence is used over and above the force necessary to commit the rape,
A weapon is used to frighten or wound the victim,
The rape is repeated,
Victim is subjected to further sexual indignities or perversions
The victim is either very old or very young,
The effect upon the victim, whether physical or mental, is of special seriousness.
Is the defendant likely to offend again?

Also there are enhancements (punishments, applicable) for enticements:

Pimping and pandering
Sexual abuse
Failure to register as a sex offender
Transporting a child across state lines for illicit sexual purposes
Filing false immigration statements
Sexual exploitation of a child
Human trafficking

There's such a volume of state laws and precedents out there, its overwhelming

Do judges have TOO much latitude in sentencing or are their hands tied by legal restrictions?

I agree with you completely @runninfawn
Knowing the whys doesn't change a thing about it all being very wrong and illogical unfortunately, does it?

Interesting case:

*I read a lot of articles and can't be arsed to link them, it's all easy enough to find. A lot of phrases are copy and pasted, again, can't be bothered
(p.s. dissertations are viva voce, dumbity. Haha..)

I looked it up

"Enticement of a child through the use of an electronic device may be prosecuted at both the state and federal levels.
This is because that while enticing a minor with the intention of engaging in sexual relations is what triggers the state to prosecute, it’s the use of the federal mail system, including any facility or means of interstate or foreign commerce (such as the internet) that is a crime under federal law."

"A minimum 10-year sentence must be imposed by the court when the victim is under 18, with the possibility of life imprisonment in certain circumstances."

I tried to learn a little about this today, and I'm going to say it's because the Feds have a strict minimum, and a consistent standard of law to apply.

When the Feds aren't involved, it's up to state law, and those come in a bewildering array with flexible punishments and the oddly worded statutes.
Unless a case becomes a federal one, sentences are going to vary wildly.
Cases only become federal when, for example, the sex crime occurred on federal property, involved interstate activity, or is aggravated (or extremely severe), thereby triggering federal criminal laws.

That's the short answer @runninfawn , you don't really have to read the rest, it just adds details about the variations and upside down sentences we see here in the U.S.

In Canada is it similar? Provinces have their own set of laws?

Here's a few state laws about statutory rape which I think is what child rape/ molestation falls under.

View attachment 107733

There don't seem to be a lot of minimum sentences, unlike the Federal law.

•Kentucky is an exception, intercourse with anyone under 12 is a 20 year minimum.

•Louisiana differentiates between whether consent is given by a 12 year old or not, ĺand it's called "carnal knowledge". I like the "with or without hard labor though.

•Maine "Other than his spouse".

•Maryland is oddly specific about "vaginal" intercourse.

•Massachusetts "Criminal inducement to a person under 18 of chaste life to have unlawful sexual intercourse"?
Chaste or not, sexual experience doesn't translate into emotional maturity.
The laws of consent were originally to preserve female virginity, but morphed onto the recognition that children are unable to give informed consent, and that's what the laws are about now, and why the victims sexual history, clothing, actions, etc. have no bearing.

Also, the State has a strong interest is the prevention of illegitimate teenage pregnancies.

Preserving virginity for marriage and preventing pregnancy was the concept behind the laws when they were first enacted, maybe that's why under 18 boys were overlooked or not included for so long?

View attachment 107734

Southern states really seem to have their laws together better than anyone else with minimum sentences and clear statutes.

•Arizona seems to get it right. Of you're over 18 and you engage in sexual conduct to engage in intercourse with someone under 12 its automatic life in prison, no parole eligibility for 35 years.

•California? Smh. Shame on them
They don't differentiate between 16 and 12, so, no specific category for under 12.
It can be a felony OR a misdemeanor.

Sorry @runninfawn that this is so long, I was only going to give that first set of examples, but I'm finding the differences between states very interesting, I hope you do as well.

View attachment 107735

•Delaware specifies 4th degree rape is with someone under 18 and the actor is at least 30 years older.

•Florida must have separate statues.(these charts are just snippets)

°Illinois references victims under 9 and has impressive minimum sentences. Compared to no minimum.

View attachment 107736

I added Indiana because of those mitigating/aggravating formulas of 4 sùbtracted/10 added.

I read a bit today and the things that fall under
mitigating can be:

Whether or not the offender has mental health or substance abuse disorders that led to their criminal behavior.
•Lack of a criminal record.
•A lack of sexually explicit communication between the offender and his or her victim.
•Whether the behavior was isolated to only one victim or many.
•Lack of Force or Coercion
•Mistake-in-age (sometimes)

Under aggravating can be: (Abd probably there are enhancement laws, like the one the first one on the list, the one that you spoke of)

A position of trust
Where the victim submits to sexual intercourse under the belief that the person committing the act is a spouse, or it's a medical exam.
The careful planning of the rape;
Breaking into a house to commit rape knowing the presence of the victim alone inside the house;
Covert use of a drug to overcome resistance or obliterate memory;
The presence of children when the rape is committed;
A history of sexual assaults or violence by the offender against the victim.
Violence is used over and above the force necessary to commit the rape,
A weapon is used to frighten or wound the victim,
The rape is repeated,
Victim is subjected to further sexual indignities or perversions
The victim is either very old or very young,
The effect upon the victim, whether physical or mental, is of special seriousness.
Is the defendant likely to offend again?

Also there are enhancements (punishments, applicable) for enticements:

Pimping and pandering
Sexual abuse
Failure to register as a sex offender
Transporting a child across state lines for illicit sexual purposes
Filing false immigration statements
Sexual exploitation of a child
Human trafficking

There's such a volume of state laws and precedents out there, its overwhelming

Do judges have TOO much latitude in sentencing or are their hands tied by legal restrictions?

I agree with you completely @runninfawn
Knowing the whys doesn't change a thing about it all being very wrong and illogical unfortunately, does it?

Interesting case:

*I read a lot of articles and can't be arsed to link them, it's all easy enough to find. A lot of phrases are copy and pasted, again, can't be bothered
(p.s. dissertations are viva voce, dumbity. Haha..)
thanks for the info :) and don't really know the laws in canada as i or my family or friends ever had a negative probs with the law,, and i find trying to find out what happened after the innitial story in papers or online is very to hard and nearly impossible. it seems like updates aren't something news worthy

Back