• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A white woman was fired from a North Carolina Hampton Inn after her employers refused to punish a black employee who allegedly hurled racial slurs at her and her co-workers for more than a year, a lawsuit claims.

The lawsuit, filed by the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on behalf of at least three white employees, said the black co-worker repeatedly called Rhonda Kendrick and the other plaintiffs 'white trash,' 'white ho,' and 'white b******' from April 2017 to October 2018.

It also claims that when Kendrick finally complained to the hotel owner about the situation, he said 'he was done with the conversation,' and she was fired, EEOC lawyers said in the lawsuit.

The EEOC filed the suit at the U.S. District Court in Statesville and is seeking damage payments for the victims from the hotel, as well as back pay for Kendrick.

The lawsuit names Kendrick, Jennifer Sipes, and Candice Sanders as key victims of the Black employees racist actions, The Charlotte Observer reports.

The three women, along with other white employees, were routinely harassed based on their race, with the black employee even chastising other employees of color for sitting near them, the lawsuit said.

'I can't believe you are sitting with the white tree people,' the black housekeeper would allegedly say according to the lawsuit.

The harassment got to the point where Kendrick would alter her schedule and other aspects of her job duties to avoid 'the housekeeper's hostility,' the suit added.

The hotel's general manager, who is not named in the suit, was said to have heard the 'white tree people' reference but did not do anything to correct the behavior, the suit said.

It is not clear if the black employee named in the lawsuit is still working for the Hampton Inn in Mooresville.

The victims also allege that the black employee repeatedly undermined and attempted to 'sabotaged' them when they were promoted.

He would strip hotel rooms assigned to Kendrick to make her seem negligible at her new positions as Room Stripper, the suit said.

Similar types of sabotages occurred with Sanders and Sipes.

'The Housekeeper hid items in cleaned rooms so others checking Ms. Sanders' work would find the items and think that Ms. Sanders was not adequately inspecting the rooms,' the lawsuit said.

'By delaying inspection of her rooms until the end of the Housekeeper's shift, the Housekeeper caused Ms. Sipes to stay later than normal to inspect the rooms and perform additional work that otherwise should have been resolved by the Housekeeper before the Housekeeper left for the day.'

While Kendrick left in August 2018 after management ignored her claims, the suit claims the harassments carried on with the other white employees until at least October 2018.

In May 2020, an EEOC investigation found that the white workers had been racially harassed, but the agency could not get the owner to agree to terms that would stop the harassment, the lawsuit adds.

Document it over and over. Create a log of every instance and prove systematic workplace hostility. Then find a good lawyer and go to town. That being said, I completely understand what she means by "white tree people". I personally call those people crunchy or granola. Sounds to me like all these folks need to grow the fuck up and act like adults while in the work place.

I. personally, have never heard the term "white tree people". I wanna know what it means so I can know whether or not to be insulted. Around here, we mostly go along to get along, the ones that cause me some concern are the young peple, younger than about 25-30,, black, brown, white, green or purple, they are the ones who don't give a shit about anything but themselves.

I. personally, have never heard the term "white tree people". I wanna know what it means so I can know whether or not to be insulted. Around here, we mostly go along to get along, the ones that cause me some concern are the young peple, younger than about 25-30,, black, brown, white, green or purple, they are the ones who don't give a shit about anything but themselves.
I think it's like "tree hugger".

I. personally, have never heard the term "white tree people".
Neither have I.

I think it's like "tree hugger".
Ah! That I have heard. We have lots in the Seattle area. I might even be considered one of them, since I often wear Birkinstocks (with socks in the winter). Perhaps the racist black employee is too stupid to understand that it's "tree huggers", not "tree people".

Press Release 08-24-2022

– T.M.F. Mooresville, LLC, operating in Mooresville, North Carolina as Hampton Inn & Suites Mooresville / Lake Norman, has agreed to pay $60,000 and provide other non-monetary relief to resolve a lawsuit filed by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the federal agency announced today.

According to the EEOC’s complaint, from at least April 2017 through October 2018, a Black housekeeper employed by the company created a racially hostile work environment for a class of white housekeeping employees. The Black housekeeper referred to the white employees in racially derogatory terms, routinely chastised them, and interfered with their ability to perform their jobs.

The white employees reported the racial harassment to the company on multiple occasions, but instead of taking action to remedy the hostile conduct, the employer allowed the harassment to continue and escalate. The harassment resulted in emotional distress for several of the class members, one of whom was forced to quit her job as a result of the hostile work environment, the EEOC’s complaint said.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 protects employees from race discrimination and harassment in the workplace. The EEOC filed suit in U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission v. T.M.F Mooresville, LLC, Civil Action No.: 5:21-cv-00128-KDB-DSC) after first attempting to reach a pre-litigation settlement through its voluntary conciliation process.

In addition to providing monetary relief, the two-year consent decree settling the suit requires T.M.F. Mooresville to implement a revised anti-discrimination and retaliation policy and train employees, supervisors and managers on the requirements and prohibitions concerning discrimination and retaliation under Title VII. T.M.F. Mooresville is also required to provide periodic reports to the EEOC.

That's because, as George Orwell wrote in "Animal Farm", all animals are created equal; but the pigs are more equal than the other animals.

It's kinda like feminism, where equality means that, in divorce, the house is evenly divided: the man gets the outside half.

Fuck race hustlers. These assholes are anti-black racists:

Last edited:
and i have noticed in the article than Black was with a cap. letter while white was all lower case all the way through the article.. why is that ?? does that mean that black is a person but white isn't??
That's a really good question @runninfawn, and I had to do a lot of reading to grasp a sort of answer.

The Chicago Manual of Style has been the authority for journalistic grammer for a long time.

It says :
"“Names of ethnic and national groups are capitalized.”"

As in Asian, Hispanic, Native American, French, etc.

In the absence of the identifiable ethnicities amongst the African diaspora, Black with a capital B takes the place of Senegalese, Gambian, Angolan, etc.

Lowercase "black" is the description of a color, as in "His black skin contrasted with the white cuffs of his shirt." or "She is a black South African".

It's a purposeful decision by news outlets like AP in 2020.

However, like a lot of decisions made that make Blacks seem 'difficult' Blacks weren't really consulted about this and even though there's a reasonable justification (above) it looks bad and Black journalists know it....

1000006921.jpg

And...

1000006922.jpg

-Medium

I'm glad you asked @runninfawn, gave me an excuse to learn something new.
There's more nuanced explanations out there, and slightly different ones, but this is my take.

Meh.

Back