• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
1707414803419.png

Two moms from Kentucky are speaking out after they were allegedly drugged and raped in the Bahamas Sunday after the US issued a travel warning for the vacation hotspot.
Longtime friends Amber Shearer and Dongayla Dobson said their first kid-free vacation ended with a traumatic, broad-daylight assault when they decided to go to the beach after the Carnival cruise ship they were on docked at the island country.

Now they’re warning other women.
The moms were relaxing on a Grand Bahama beach when a resort staffer offered them a two-for-one drink deal, they told NewsNation’s “Cuomo.”

They accepted and took photos with the tropical drinks — one in a pineapple and the other in a coconut.
But they soon felt like the drinks were much stronger than expected.

Even their loved ones back home grew concerned when the women sent back videos where they seemed to be highly intoxicated just 15 minutes after their first sips, Dobson told the station.
“Less than a few [sips] into the second drink, we knew something was wrong. Something was terribly wrong,” Shearer said.

They went to look for seashells to bring back to their kids when a male resort staffer offered to show them the best spot to find shells.

But the next thing Shearer could recall was waking up while she was being assaulted by a uniformed male resort staffer.

“I came to in the process of my rape,” she told NewsNation, breaking down.
Bahamian authorities and other staffers at the resort were able to immediately identify the two men accused of the noon assault through surveillance footage.

One of the attackers had only been employed by the resort for about a week, according to Shearer.
Royal Bahamas police arrested two men, a 40-year-old of South Bahamia and a 54-year-old of Eight Mile Rock, in connection to the sexual assault, the department said in a news release.

Police are continuing to investigate, but the women say their allegations weren’t properly handled and that the local cops did not administer proper rape test kits despite their pleas.

Back on the cruise ship, the moms received the results of their toxicology tests — which showed they had a plethora of drugs in their systems, including benzodiazepines.
Now back in Kentucky, the women have hired a lawyer to get justice and are receiving medical care — including $4,000 in HIV prevention medication, according to the local station.

The mothers are also angry with Carnival — which they say failed to tell them about the US State Department travel advisory for the Bahamas until after their horrific assault.

The State Department issued a level 2 advisory on Jan. 26, just over a week before the two American women were allegedly raped.

The advisory advises US travelers to “exercise increased caution” when visiting the Bahamas due to crime and gang-on-gang violence that have resulted in 18 murders in January alone.

It would be nice if they were warned about the dangers, but at the same time they should have researched if there were any travel warnings.

I don't care how progressive women think the world is or should be -we must always be vigilant about our safety.

I don't even kn ow how this could have been prevented because I think I would and most others too would trust that an employee would not harm us.

These women should be thanked for their courage of sharing their story and maybe saving the next woman from experiencing anything like this.

1707415180322.png

Add Dominica to the list too.

A Bahamas resort where two Kentucky mothers claim they were drugged and raped by two employees said that the women’s account of what happened does not match its security footage.

Amber Shearer and Dongayla Dobson said they were assaulted in broad daylight by staffers at Pirate’s Cove while relaxing on the beach while their carnival cruise ship docked on the Grand Island in the Bahamas.
“Upon further review of the surveillance videos, the allegations made onsite, and in subsequent social media posts and news stories, conflict with what the time-stamped surveillance videos contain,” Pirate’s Cove beach resort said in a statement without divulging further, The Daily Mail reported.

Pirate’s Cove also confirmed that the two employees have been fired, saying that whatever conduct they engaged in on tape “indicates that at a minimum, they violated our zero-tolerance policy.”
Carnival Cruise confirmed to the Post on Wednesday that two guests aboard the Carnival Elation reported the sexual assault, which occurred while on “an independent shore excursion.”

“Our onboard Care Team provided support for the two guests as they sailed back to Jacksonville,” the cruise company said.

All I can say is that when we were there in September (2023) we didn't ever feel endangered. Granted, we were two women in our early 50's, and we might not have made any of the native Bahamians 'restless' in that way, but we spent hours on the beach and at the bar, not drinking but watching the shark feeding, and meandering through the port shops. Spent too much money on tchotchkes for the folks back home and re-boarded the ship. It was a great day... :shame:

Back