• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Should the Doctor lose his job?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
More than 83,000 people have signed a petition backing a British doctor who could lose his job for asking a Muslim woman to remove her veil.

Dr. Keith Wolverson, 52, insists he only asked the woman to remove her niqab, a veil covering all but the eyes, so he could hear her while trying to diagnose her daughter at Royal Stoke University Hospital last June.

“I asked a lady to remove her face veil for adequate communication, in the same way I’d ask a motorcyclist to remove a crash helmet,” insisted Wolverson, a primary doctor for 23 years, according to the Independent.

But the unidentified woman complained, and now Wolverson says he is “fearful of the consequences” of a formal probe by the UK’s General Medical Council (GMC) as well as a racial discrimination inquiry.

“I’m a little bit sad the country has been committed to depths such as this,” he complained, having been suspended during the investigation, according to the report.

News of the probe sparked a change.org petition, “Stop Dr Wolverson getting fired,” which as of Sunday morning had more than 83,000 signatures.

“I have been absolutely bowled over by the support,” Wolverson said. “I am going to fight it until the bitter end.”

The Doctors Association called on the GMC to issue “clear guidelines to protect both doctors and our patients,” according to the Independent.

“It is of utmost importance that the religious wishes of our patients are respected,” a spokesperson added.

And if the Doctor failed to diagnose the child properly the mother would be able to turn around and sue the doctor. Maybe she should have sought out a doctor that was better able to provide her child with care.

Talk about damned if you do, damned if you don't. Was this the first time she had ever been to a hospital in the West? I'd be interested to see if any other doctor ever requested that of her. Complaining about it to the hospital board or whomever seems a tad dramatic. He didn't rip it off her head.

She hasn't got anything he hasn't seen before.
You want medical help but tie the docs hands over some Bullshit.
Blacklist her from healthcare access.
Reinstate him pronto!

Back