• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
110210angela_mcanulty405.jpg

The girl's body looked small for a 15 year old - so small, the fire captain at the scene, Sven Wahlroos, asked Angela McAnulty several times about the girl's age.

Maples had no pulse. Paramedics tried CPR and put a tube into her lungs in an effort to make her breathe.

Angela McAnulty appeared agitated, then quiet, then hysterical. Then she laughed a couple of times.

“I just remember it was an odd response," Wahlroos told the jury weighing whether Angela McAnulty, who pleaded guilty to her daughter's murder, should spend life in prison, have a chance for parole after 30 years - or, as Lane County prosecutors contend, face the death penalty. . .

The girl's front teeth were broken, and there were severe wounds on her legs and back.

Hilton met with the family, and Angela told the doctor Maples had been eating but had gotten very skinny lately.

The charge nurse asked Angela where Maples went to school.

She told the hospital staff Maples was homeschooled.

---

Angela McAnulty entered the courtroom sobbing Thursday morning, saying she knew what she did was wrong.

A member of her defense team consoled her.

She continued to cry, wiping away tears with a tissue - and putting her head on the table sobbing during opening arguments about whether she should spend her life in prison or die for the murder of her daughter, Jeanette Maples.

The death penalty phase is expected to last until at least Feb. 27.

McAnulty's husband Richard, who was Maples' step-father, goes to trial in May.

Prosecutor Erik Hasselman said the state would show that, by the time she died on Dec. 9, 2009, Jeanette Maples had suffered for months.

The prosecutor said paramedics thought Maples was already dead when they arrived, even as McAnulty insisted the teen had been fine until just an hour earlier.

The prosecutor said Maples was starved and dehydrated. Her lips and mouther were pulverized from being hit with belts and sticks over a period of months. Her face was disfigured, her head in bandages. On her hip, investigators found a wound where the flesh had been so torn away as to expose the bone.

She had the "appearance of a concentration camp victim," Hasselman said.

---

Here is how prosecutors described the girl's treatment and history:

Maples was forced to sleep on cardboard in a room with blood spattered on the walls, floor and ceiling.

In the house, investigators found leather belts and torture devices, as well as chunks of Maples' flesh.

"Jeanette was constantly in trouble with her mother," Hasselman said.

McAnulty would take Maples into the "torture room" and turn on the vacuum cleaner to mask the sound so the two younger children wouldn't hear it.

Sometimes, McAnulty would tie Maples up, the prosecutor said.

Sometimes, she would make the girl collect dog feces - then run them in the girl's face and mouth.

The State of California once took Jeanette from her mother but returned her after the birth of a younger child.

In 2002, Angela married Richard McAnulty, and the family moved to Oregon.

At first, Maples attended public school. Teachers were concerned about the girl's treatment at her mother's hands. The school confronted Maples, who told school officials that she was being abused.

Oregon's Department of Human Services visited the home, where Angela McAnulty told child welfare workers that Maples was a compulsive liar. . .

At the end of the testimony, the jury will be asked to consider four questions:

1.Was McAnulty's conduct that caused Maple's death deliberate?
2.Is it likely that McAnulty will reoffend?
3.Did Maples provoke McAnulty?
4.Should the death sentence be imposed?

http://www.kval.com/news/115758604.html

Last edited:
“It got to a point where I felt very odd,” said Wahlroos. “It was one of those feelings on the back of my neck that something was absolutely not right, and doing this for 18 years, I've never really had that feeling.”

“All I wanted to do was run away,” said Wahlroos.

And this was from a rescuer who sees horrific injuries and gore all the time. I wonder if any of these rescuers would admit to a mad impulse to kill the parents . . . I certainly have it.

There's a video of Mcanulty's interview here: http://kezi.com/news/local/204126

Last edited:
Fry. Them. NOW!

How repulsive and evil that thing is that masquerades as a human woman.

There is no redemption for acts such as she committed against that child who's will was surely as broken as her body.

From Navsec's post:

At turns apologetic and indignant in the videotape, McAnulty started out blaming her husband and Jeanette herself for the teen’s hundreds of injuries. Richard McAnulty also is charged with aggravated murder in Jeanette’s death, apparently for failing to protect his stepdaughter.

But on the videotape, Angela McAnulty changed her story over the next few hours as Lane County Sheriff’s Office detectives Aaron Hoberg and Kelly Fenley revealed that her husband and their 5-year-old son both had said she inflicted Jeanette’s injuries.

In forceful, sometimes rapid-fire declarations on the videotape, McAnulty first denied and then acknowledged hitting her eldest daughter with a leather belt, with tree branch switches, and with a wooden yardstick.

“I spanked my daughter,” she told detectives. “I don’t know how many times. But only on the bottom.”

After more questioning, she admitted that infected sores extending to the bone of Jeanette’s hips had started when McAnulty broke the skin with a leather belt.

“I did wrong. It was horrible of me. I am very sorry. I wish I could take it back,” the 42-year-old mother shouted, but insisted: “I didn’t do the injury on the head. I know she probably died from that.”

She said an open wound, which the prosecution called “a hole” in the back of Jeanette’s skull, occurred when the teen fell and struck her head. “There is no yardstick mark on my kid’s head!” she shouted on tape. “I swear to God.”

McAnulty also admitted on videotape to turning off the water supply to the kitchen tap, leaving Jeanette to drink from the dog’s water dish and even the toilet. She said she didn’t want her daughter “up at night drinking all kinds of water.”

On the tape she denied starving the teen, though the jury later saw a videotape of Richard McAnulty telling detectives that his wife padlocked the family’s pantry to keep Jeanette from “stealing food.” He said Angela had long singled out Jeanette for mistreatment, feeding her peanut butter sandwiches while the rest of the family ate Thanksgiving dinner.

While the family’s two younger children slept in beds, Jeanette slept on the floor, a piece of cardboard beneath her to keep her bleeding wounds from soiling the carpet.

Richard McAnulty said on tape that his wife considered it misbehavior when Jeanette begged her to stop a beating. Besides what he also called “spankings,” he said on videotape that Angela McAnulty punished the teen by making her stand hours at a time with her arms raised over her shoulders — even when she could not put weight on one foot because her mother had stomped and injured it. She also made the girl kneel with her hands behind her back, as if handcuffed, he told detectives.

He told detectives he did not seek help for Jeanette because he was ailing from complications of a heart attack and was afraid of his wife. Though he’s “a big guy” and she’s “a little guy,” she had hit him in the past and controlled their home to the point he had to ask her to use the bathroom because she kept the door locked from the outside and carried the only key, he told detectives.

An Oregon State Police crime scene analyst led off Friday’s testimony, telling jurors that she found a bowl containing bloody water and a sponge in the bedroom where McAnulty reportedly whipped and beat her daughter.

Despite someone’s apparent attempt to clean up the room, forensic investigator Traci Rose reported that blood was still all over the bedroom, spattered “floor to ceiling” on two walls and between tiles of parquet wood on the floor. The droplets were so dense on the walls that she could see blank rectangles where something once hung. Later, Rose said, she found hidden away blood-*spattered coloring book pages and framed pictures that had occupied the spots.

He told detectives he did not seek help for Jeanette because he was ailing from complications of a heart attack and was afraid of his wife. Though he’s “a big guy” and she’s “a little guy,” she had hit him in the past and controlled their home to the point he had to ask her to use the bathroom because she kept the door locked from the outside and carried the only key, he told detectives.

McAnulty missed her calling. She should have been a jailer. And he was afraid to call 911, too. WTF is wrong with people?

I read somewhere that the rest of the family (not Jeanette, of course) all slept in the living room around Richard? Don't they have other rooms in that house? How could an entire family be held hostage by one crazy assed fiend?

I was taking the kid for a happy meal since her dad has to work tonight and on the way back I was thinking about good ol' Rick, or DICK, or whatever you want to call him.

I don't care what the fuck was wrong with him physically, the sickest part of that man is the part that wouldn't stand up for Jeanette. There is no way in HELL I could stand by while a child was hurt the way this beautiful young woman was tortured. I would do whatever I could even for an adult in that situation. I would have a better chance of withstanding whatever that psycho monster would do that a child. How could another person sit by while that woman literally splattered the walls with the child's flesh and blood???

I think DICK just didn't give a fuck. Jeanette wasn't his kid and he didn't give the sweat off his putrid nut sack what happened to her. It pisses me off beyond measure. He is just as damn demented as his wife. I don't buy his story about the bathroom key either. No grown man would tolerate that shit for a second. I think he also had a key and helped torture the child, at least in that way, directly.

I can't WAIT til they give this bitch the needle. There is no way a jury can hear even more than we are and vote to spare her worthless fucking hide. I hope as she sits in her jail cell tonight that she feels the weight of her impending demise. Hell is waiting for her.

IDK if he had a key or not, but I'd guess that he gave up on any say long ago. That doesn't excuse that trash with me, but we have little detail on his circumstances here!

Testimony in the Jeanette Maples case is just heartbreaking, frustrating, and absolutely maddening.

Lynn McAnulty, Angela's MIL, Jeanette's grandmother:
From the beginning, Angela was harder on Jeanette than on a younger sibling, Lynn McAnulty said, showing the girl little affection and punishing her by denying her the chance to play with other children.

“She was always in trouble,” the grandmother said.

Lynn McAnulty said she began suspecting her daughter-in-law of physical abuse when she noticed that Jeanette, then a young teenager, had a series of split lips. At first, Angela blamed the injuries on a fall, Lynn said. But she confirmed inflicting the injuries when she called her mother-in-law in a panic after learning a state child protection caseworker was coming by to investigate an endangerment report from Jeanette’s middle school. Angela asked “ ‘What should I do?’ and I said, ‘Tell the truth,’ ” the grandmother testified. “She said, ‘But she’s got a cracked lip.’ ”
http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...1/jeanette-angela-mcanulty-daughter-death.csp
Angela stopped allowing Jeanette or the other children to visit Lynn starting in February 2008, but she would see them from time to time.

In the summer of 2009, Lynn's son richard had a heart attack. When the family gathered, Jeanette's appearance concerned Lynn, she told the jury.

“That’s when I asked her what was wrong with Jeanette," she recalled. "She was thin. Her hair was falling out.”

Lynn saw Jeanette again that fall. She looked weak, and the girl wasn't allowed to speak without her mother's permission.

In October 2009, Lynn helped the family move across town. Jeanette stood silently in a corner the whole time.

It was the last time Lynn saw Jeanette alive. . . .

The night Jeanette died, Angela called Lynn, she said.

“I was spanking her and I went too far, got carried away,” Lynn remembered her saying.
http://www.kval.com/news/local/116276399.html

School, friends, school counselor:
In the two years before Jeanette Marie Maples’ 2009 death from abuse and starvation, she was so hungry she would ask other Cascade Middle School students for part of their lunches and she stopped dressing down for physical education because classmates were asking about her bruises.. . . A fellow Cascade Middle School student testified that she confronted Jeanette after noticing “a lot of bruises” on her friend’s ribs and arms as they dressed down for physical education class.

“At first she gave me excuses, like she bumped into something or fell down,” said the friend, now a 16-year-old Willamette High School student. But after she persisted in asking for a couple of weeks, Jeanette admitted that her mother was beating her at home.

The friend and other students also noticed that Jeanette seemed “skinny” and always ravenous, even after eating the apple and peanut butter and jelly sandwich her mother packed in her lunch.

If the others appeared to be through eating, she would ask for and “scarf down” any uneaten portions, the friend said.

Angela McAnulty didn’t allow her daughter to go to other students’ homes after school, the friend testified. But one time, Jeanette defied her mother by forging her signature on a permission slip to ride the bus to the witness’s home.

Within 10 minutes of her arrival there, Jeanette ate five burritos and a half-bag of chips, the friend said.

The friend’s mother, Holly Sams, also testified, saying she phoned Angela to report Jeanette’s whereabouts after seeing the crudely forged permission slip and figuring the other woman would be worried. A visibly angry Angela came right over to fetch her daughter, saying she planned to punish Jeanette’s lie by forcing her to eat raw chili peppers. Concerned, Sams urged her not to do so, and suggested that the McAnultys come over for a barbecue so the families could get better acquainted.

“She told me, ‘We don’t really do that,’ ” the other mother testified. “I thought that was odd. She kind of shut me down.”

After Angela and Jeanette left, Sams’ daughter confided Jeanette’s abuse disclosure, and Sams told her to tell Cascade’s counselor.

That counselor, Jennifer Smyly, testified that she reported that allegation and several others to Oregon’s Department of Human Services child protection office. The other allegations came from Jeanette’s teachers based on her disclosure to them her punishments included no dinner for weeks at a time and kneeling for hours with her hands behind her back.
http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...1/jeanette-angela-mcanulty-daughter-death.csp

Why didn't Sams report it herself? I don't suppose it would have made the difference, but . . .

More from the counselor:
t was a note Jeanette Maples passed her 6th grade teacher that put guidance counselor Jennifer Smyly on alert.

"She told me she was always hungry, wasn't allowed to eat, that for punishment she had to put her nose to the wall and bend on her knees for 2 and a half hours," said Smyly.

After talking with Jeanette multiple times, Smyly filed her first DHS report in April 2006.

"The first report consisted of Jeanette reporting that she was always hungry," said Smyly. "On one occasion I remember Jeanette telling me she had to eat a pepper and vomited and then had to eat that, her own vomit."

A second report was filed, that's when DHS case worker, Sandra Alberts stepped in.
http://kezi.com/news/local/204539

Then, the DHS investigator:
"She talked about discipline in the home being that she wasn't allowed dinner, the last time she ate dinner was 2 weeks ago," said Alberts.

According to Alberts, Jeanette worried her mom would find out she'd been talking to school officials. And lied to Alberts about her mom's work schedule, so Alberts wouldn't talk with her mom. But when Alberts visited Angela McAnulty, she heard a completely different story.

"Their kitchen was full of fresh fruit and food," said Alberts.

Angela painted a different picture of Jeanette, according to Alberts, McAnulty reported that Jeanette was a really sweet girl but had some issues with telling the truth. In an interview with Jeanette's younger sister, Angela seemed a fair parent.

"Patience says they have to stand in the corner for a 20 minute period of time, and Jeanette had the same discipline as her," said Alberts.

But Jeanette was embarrassed about the bruises and cuts on her body and stopped dressing for gym class.

. . .

Even though it was an abusive relationship, Jeanette often covered for her mom, telling Smyly that her mom was psycho but she loved her.

A third report was filed the next year after Jeanette came to school with a bruised lip, but by that time DHS had already closed the case.

"I closed it coding it as unable to determine, it means that the abuse could possibly have happened or be happening but there's conflicting information to corroborate," said Alberts.

"Angela convinced DHS workers, Jeanette was lying," said Smyly.

In May 2006 the DHS case worker told Angela and Richard McAnulty and Cascade Middle School administrators that the case was closed. DHS didn't make any follow-up visits to the McAnulty home or to interview Jeanette afterwards.
http://kezi.com/news/local/204539

This is so totally scary. The DHS worker takes Angela's word for it, discounting other reports and what she must know about abusers occasionally singling out a child for abuse. And, instead of taking the girl to a doctor for an exam, she just closes the case. Never heard of a child covering for a parent, or talking to the child out of the parent's orbit, or even just coming back unannounced a few times to see what is going on. How about the giant red flag of a reportedly abused child being taken out of school and separated from all her friends and family? And just because a case is closed, especially when it's an inconclusive finding, what is the problem with reopening it?

If I said it once I've said it a million times, I know everyone is tired of hearing it
BUT DAM can CPS ever learn that abusers don't tell the truth and you can't just go ask them and believe everything they say
Asking the abuser and taking their word for it is NOT!! Investigating the case!

EUGENE, Ore. -- For the first time, the jury in the Angela McAnulty case saw Angela's husband in person.

Angela is accused of murdering her 15-year-old daughter Jeanette Maples, and her husband Richard admitted he did nothing to stop it.

Throughout the past few days, details surfaced about the punishment Angela inflicted on her daughter Jeanette.

But on Wednesday, the court learned about Jeanette's last day and what her parents did in the moments following her death.

Richard disclosed the gruesome details surrounding the moments just before his stepdaughter Jeanette died at her Eugene home in December 2009.

Richard chose not to be filmed by TV cameras because he feared it would affect his pending murder trial this summer.

But he told the jury that Jeanette looked terrible, skinny, weak and was constantly falling just days before she died.

He says on the morning of her last day, she was cold and mumbling after Angela went too far in hitting her over the head.

Richard says he remembers his stepdaughter asking for a blanket when she was already covered in one.

At the same time Richard says Angela was working to clean the blood off the room Jeanette had been tortured in.

When Jeanette lost consciousness and was so cold that even a warm bath wouldn't work, Richard says Angela panicked.

Not wanting to call 911 and fearing the police, Richard says Angela gave him two options: bury Jeanette's body in the backyard or drive to the coast to dump her body.

Richard says he eventually called 911, and after an ambulance got there and took Jeanette to the hospital, he says Angela threatened to take some money and run away with the other kids.

When she didn't, Richard says Angela insisted on him taking the blame for Jeanette's condition because it would be easier for him to face the law.

In the cross examination, Angela's attorneys revealed a letter that Richard wrote to the district attorney in which he pleaded to make a deal for a lesser sentence.

Richard's trial is scheduled to start in May.

http://kezi.com/news/local/204645

He says on the morning of her last day, she was cold and mumbling after Angela went too far in hitting her over the head.

Richard says he remembers his stepdaughter asking for a blanket when she was already covered in one.

At the same time Richard says Angela was working to clean the blood off the room Jeanette had been tortured in.

When Jeanette lost consciousness and was so cold that even a warm bath wouldn't work, Richard says Angela panicked.

Finally, the wet hair explained. I had visions of them torturing her in the bath.

. . . That changed after he suffered a heart attack and complications from related surgery in July 2009, he said. Only after coming home to recuperate did he see his wife targeting her oldest daughter for abuse that included withholding food and water, Richard said. Only then did he see Angela taking Jeanette behind a closed bedroom door to give her what he called “real bad spankings” that left her with broken teeth, disfigured lips and deep, and infected wounds from belt lacerations on her hips.

Under questioning by prosecutor Erik Hasselman, Richard admitted failing to give Jeanette food and water even though Angela regularly left them alone together to go shopping or drive Jeanette’s younger sister and brother to school. He also acknowledged that Jeanette sought his help on one such occasion just four days before her death. The thin, battered teen invited him to enter for the first time the bedroom where Angela whipped her, showing him blood-stained belts, sticks and switches and pointing out a bloody spot on the floor.

“I looked at that bedroom, and it was horrifying,” Richard told the jury. “I seen blood splattered everywhere. (Jeanette) told me her mom would have her strip naked and lay there directly on the floor, and she would whip her ... I was scared. I was terrified. I didn’t know it had gotten that far.”

. . . He said Angela rebuffed his efforts to intervene, telling him the girls were not his and she alone would decide how to raise them. He said she also threatened to blame him for Jeanette’s injuries if he alerted authorities.

Richard acknowledged he was so cowed that he didn’t seek help for Jeanette even after seeing her drink from the toilet because her mother had turned off the water supply to all the house’s faucets.

Angela wanted to “make sure (Jeanette) didn’t get into the water,” he said, because she was “tired of Jeanette getting her up every night to go to the bathroom,” he said. His wife had previously ordered him to put an outside lock on the bathroom door, Richard explained, because she “didn’t want nobody using it unless she was there.”

Richard said his surgery scar and other health problems made it too painful for him to bend down below the sink to turn the water back on for Jeanette.

He said Angela carried the only keys to the bathroom and to pantries she’d padlocked in the kitchen to keep Jeanette from “stealing food.” . . .

To punish the teen for such behavior as threatening to run away or call police after a beating, Angela would require Jeanette to stand for hours at a time with her hands extended above her head as she balanced on one foot “like a crane,” as the rest of the family watched television, Richard said. His wife would then get angry at the emaciated teen if she fell from that position, he said.

Angela “always fed Jeanette separate from us,” he said. While the teen got hot dogs for dinner, she had to stand or kneel in a corner, watching the rest of the family eat more nutritious meals, such as “mixed vegetables and meat” from a crock pot. Her younger sister and brother always got more to eat, he added.

When the family went trick-or-treating on Halloween, he said, Jeanette had to watch from the street while her sister and brother got candy because Angela didn’t want neighbors to see her injured face. Those injuries included repeated smacks to her mouth that left part of her lip dangling from her face, Richard said. He said he told his wife the girl needed stitches, but she insisted on bandaging the wounds herself.

The night before Jeanette’s death, Richard testified, his wife came to him upset, saying she’d “gone too far,” hitting her eldest daughter’s head “too hard” with a stick. The next morning, he said, the teen was cool to the touch and speaking incoherently, as if she had “taffy in her mouth.”

Instead of immediately calling 911 or rushing the girl to the hospital, Richard said, his wife enlisted her younger daughter, then 11, to help her clean blood from what Hasselman called “the torture room.” She took a break to go buy dinner at McDonald’s, he said, then came back and cleaned some more before informing him about 7 that Jeanette was “ice cold” and wouldn’t wake up. She tried unsuccessfully to revive her lifeless daughter in a warm bath, he said. After he called 911, she hurried to pull sweat pants onto Jeanette’s nude body so paramedics wouldn’t see “the holes in her hips,” Richard said.
http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...-41/jeanette-richard-angela-wife-mcanulty.csp
Angela McAnulty would turn up the TV in the living room to cover up the sound of her beating Jeanette Maples, McAnulty's husband Richard told a jury Wednesday.

It didn't work.

"You could hear the whips," he told the jury . . .

"It was horrifying. I didn't know what was going on," McAnulty said. "Her mom would have her strip naked and whip her.". . .
http://www.kval.com/news/local/116356174.html

You could hear the whips. You knew she was being stripped and whipped, and you didn't know what was going on?

What a sickeningly weak man. Couldn't bring himself to make a call until the girl was already dead. Then . . .

He had so many chances, not the least of which only four days before would have saved her life.

Last edited:
There is no punishment equal to her depravity, she should be placed in a 3rd world all male prison
And CPS charged with monitoring the conditions, I'm sure they would write up great reports as to how humane her treatment is and how there're no signs of abuse and they can be sure of that because they asked the prison pimp/sadist that now owns her and all the bruises and broken limbs are from falling down because she's so clumsy definitely not from mistreatment, the pimp/sadist told them so and he would't lie. And her sniveling worthless pile of crap partner should have a similar fate
:crazy:

Last edited:
Sister fills in disturbing details
McAnulty’s mistreatment of Jeanette Maples began when the murdered girl was 7, according to testimony

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...3-41/jeanette-mcanulty-sister-girl-angela.csp

The younger half-sister of a 15-year-old River Road girl who died of abuse and starvation in 2009 testified Thursday that their mother’s harsh treatment of Jeanette Marie Maples began as soon as Angela Mc*Anulty regained custody of Jeanette at age 7 after she spent six years in California’s foster care system.

That sister also told jurors considering the death penalty for McAnulty that days before Jeanette’s death, her mother revealed a quarter-sized wound on the back of Jeanette’s head and told her that if someone was “stabbed in the back of the head with a branch, it would cause brain damage.”

Jeanette spoke incoherently, the younger girl testified, asking for a blanket already covering her as she lay on a piece of cardboard where she slept on the floor. Jeanette would fall as she tried to stand with her face to the wall and her hands extended over her head — a longtime daily punishment, her sister said.

Under gentle questioning by prosecutor Erik Hasselman, Angela McAnulty’s second daughter said she had some memory of when her half-sister first came back to live with her and her mother in the early 2000s — including the fact that Angela did not allow her daughters to talk to each other. After her mother married Richard McAnulty in 2002, the younger girl testified, Jeanette was confined to a bedroom in the back of their Sacramento home, so she would “not really be part of the family.”

She also told jurors that both Angela and Richard McAnulty punished Jeanette by depriving her of food and water, hitting her with shoes and “popping” her on the mouth with the back of their hands, sometimes drawing blood. That statement contradicted Richard McAnulty’s testimony Wednesday that he caused Jeanette’s death by failing to protect her from her mother, but never injured her himself. He also is charged with aggravated murder in the teen’s death. His trial is set for May.

The younger girl said she felt sorry for her sister, but when she tried to sneak her water, their mother retaliated by yelling at her and beating Jeanette anew.

The sister also testified that Angela McAnulty forced her on several occasions to gather the family dog’s droppings from the backyard and that her mother then would smear the feces on Jeanette’s face as the girl stood as ordered with her hands over her head.

“Jeanette would cry and say it was disgusting,” the sister recalled.

. . .

Earlier Thursday, the sentencing trial took an unexpected 90-minute detour when Angela McAnulty’s attorneys told Leonard they intended to present jurors evidence detailing her husband’s alleged involvement in a September plot to escape from the Lane County Jail. The judge ruled that evidence inadmissible, however, after hearing arguments from attorneys for both sides, as well as testimony from a detective who investigated the purported scheme.

. . .

They also asked Leonard to grant a mistrial after he refused to allow the panel to hear that testimony. The judge swiftly denied that motion. Jurors were not in the courtroom for any of that 90-minute discussion.

In other testimony Thursday, Cascade Middle School cafeteria worker Michelle Mullins said she began secretly feeding Jeanette school lunches in sixth grade because she was concerned that the girl was “getting skinny.” When she once asked to see the lunch Jeanette’s mother had packed, Mullins said, she was shocked that it contained only one piece of cheese and a cracker.

A crying Jeanette came into her office later that year, saying she had to stop eating the lunches because “my mom notices that I’ve been gaining weight because I’m eating.”

Mullins said she reported the situation to state child protective services, which opened a case but closed it after an investigation.

In the younger sister’s testimony, she also acknowledged falsely reporting that “Jeanette was fine” when a state child welfare worker questioned her at school about the suspected abuse. She did so, the girl explained, because Angela Mc*Anulty reminded her children daily that “what happens in the house stays in the house.”
http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...3-41/jeanette-mcanulty-sister-girl-angela.csp

For Janette

JanetteMaples.jpg

Love is the thing you get
when it is true.

Love is the thing that can be
as true as deep blue.

Love is the thing that
can make you mad.

Love is the thing that
when broken, can be sad.

- Janette Maples

No more a place of pain and anguish...no more tears for shame...
...the light of the heavens bathe and rejoice a poet by name...
Love...Janette Marie Maples....is one in the same. ~sh

Defense case

A local woman who fatally starved and tortured her daughter lost her own mother to murder at age 5 and grew up with a violent father who also kept food from his hungry children and beat them for “stealingâ€￾ it, two of her brothers testified Tuesday.

But Michael and George Feusi of California both said they chose to break the cycle and spare their children from abuse — unlike their sister, Angela Feusi Mc*Anulty. She pleaded guilty Feb. 1 to the aggravated murder of her oldest daughter in late 2009. Her brothers testified before a Lane County Circuit Court jury charged with deciding whether she gets the death penalty or life in prison.

In a brief opening statement before presenting defense witnesses, McAnulty’s lead attorney, Ken Hadley, told jurors that her violent childhood didn’t excuse the violence she inflicted on 15-year-old Jeanette Marie Maples.

But “something like this doesn’t happen in a vacuum,â€￾ he told the jury, saying testimony they would hear from McAnulty’s relatives and from a psychologist would help them understand the conditions that warped the 42-year-old River Road area resident into someone who could commit acts he called “a horrible tragedy.â€￾

“There’s only one difference between the state and us: We’re going to ask that you not choose the death penalty,â€￾ Hadley said.

McAnulty’s oldest brother, 44-year-old Mike Feusi of Sacramento, told jurors that he was 7 and Angela “about 5â€￾ when their mother was murdered. Nancy Feusi, 22, was living with her five children in a hotel room after separating from their father over abuse and unfaithfulness, Hadley had said earlier. She disappeared in 1973 after going out dancing at a Sacramento area club, he said.

“When her body was found, she had been stabbed 29 times,â€￾ Hadley said.

Her murder remains unsolved.

More trauma followed, said Mike Feusi, who is now a Sacramento electrician.

“We were placed in foster care,â€￾ he said, until their father came and took them to his home.

“That’s when the hell really kind of started,â€￾ he said. “He was always angry. … We weren’t allowed to get food out of the kitchen at all. We could get water, but that was it. One night I was hungry, so I grabbed a carrot out of the refrigerator and was eating it in bed.â€￾

His stepmother caught him and called his father, who pulled him out of bed by his hair and beat him, Feusi said.

His and McAnulty’s younger brother, George, testified that their father beat all of his children with a belt, but was harder on the boys — Mike in particular.

“He was a mechanic, so he always had a tool in his hand,â€￾ Mike McAnulty recalled, weeping at the memory. “A lot of times … it was with a screwdriver or a crescent wrench, which was a lot harder than with a hand or a belt.â€￾

George, an Oak Grove, Calif., car dealer, recalled that the family never ate together. His father and stepmother ate food they enjoyed in the living room while the children ate rationed portions of basic fare. The couple’s combined eight children were expected to eat silently around the kitchen table so their voices didn’t interfere with the television the adults were watching.

“One time my dad was outside so we were joking around at the table,â€￾ George told the jury. “He came in and said, ‘What’s going on?’ He had this big screwdriver and he kept hitting the long metal piece in his hand as we walked around the table. When he got behind you, you were so scared. And then he got behind Mike, and he hit him so hard. It looked like he was going to pass out. And we were not allowed to ask if he was OK.â€￾

Earlier Tuesday, defense attorney Steven Krasik asked Lane County Circuit Judge Kip Leonard to rule that the state’s six-day case failed to prove one of four components necessary for a death sentence under Oregon law.

In a motion when the jury was not present, Krasik said prosecutors failed to show beyond a reasonable doubt that McAnulty posed a continuing threat of violence toward others, given that she pleaded guilty to aggravated murder and will spend at least 30 years in prison.

The state’s final three witnesses Tuesday morning testified about McAnulty’s conduct at the Lane County Jail and the access she would have to other inmates, to prison staff, to civilian volunteers — even to other prisoners’ visiting children — while serving a life sentence at Coffee Creek Correctional Facility.

Two Lane County Jail deputies described McAnulty as a manipulative, habitual rule-breaker. Both said she assumed a passive, childlike demeanor, first pouting and then being overly apologetic each time she got caught sliding notes into other inmates’ cells or otherwise flouting jail rules.

Both acknowledged, however, that none of her infractions involved violence or threats of violence. And Krasik told the judge that McAnulty was dangerous only “to a specific victim and a specific relationship.â€￾ The state presented “not a shred of evidence that this familial action would transfer to a nonfamilial situation,â€￾ he argued.

But the judge denied his motion, leaving the question to the jury. . .

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/cityregion/25921842-41/mcanulty-feusi-tuesday-angela-death.csp

“There’s only one difference between the state and us: We’re going to ask that you not choose the death penalty,” Hadley said.

Fuck off. Cunt deserves the same fate she thought was appropriate for her daughter. I do not give a shit that bad things happened to her when she was growing up. She could have been the better person, she could have given ALL of her kids the life she didn't have as a child, but she chose not to. So fuck her.

There is another critical difference between her treatment and that she dealt Jeanette -- she survived. She wasn't crippled or maimed. She wasn't starved, even if her food was rationed. Her dad was a psycho, no doubt. She had a choice and she made it to be good to two of her children, but much worse than her father ever was to one of her children.

Angela's lame apology:
"I am very sorry for hurting my daughter in a very bad way," McAnulty herself told the jury Wednesday.
http://www.kpic.com/news/local/116787483.html
Can't even own up to what she did, how she did it, and the outcome of it. Pointless.

The Prosecutor, JoAnne Miller and Erik Hasselman:
Maples tried to live. She stole food from the kitchen, she drank water from the toilet, Miller said.

And she slept on cardboard that McAnulty put down to keep blood off the carpet.
“The repeated sorries don’t cut it,” she said. She reminded jurors that McAnulty so minimized her actions that she told detectives hours after Jeanette’s death that maybe she should have taken up smoking as a “comparable alternative” stress reliever to torturing her daughter to death.

Miller also reminded the jury how McAnulty deprived her oldest daughter of possessions — even a bed.

“The only thing that belonged to Jeanette was her cardboard,” Miller said, reminding jurors that its purpose was to keep her bleeding wounds from soiling the carpet as she slept.

She reminded them how McAnulty pulled her daughter out of school when people there began to question Jeanette’s hunger and injuries.

“This was not an enraged drunk backhanding their kid a couple of times,” she said. “We’re talking about a cool-headed killer.”
http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...-41/mcanulty-death-jeanette-daughter-jury.csp
Prosecutors said even so, there was never any evidence that suggested Angela suffers from anything except perhaps depression (according to a counselor that has been working with McAnulty during her time in jail).
http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/stor...-sentence-with-or/_Xg5j0eDXUC02NLyWbzS8g.cspx
McAnulty committed assaults “every single day for months,” walking into rooms already splattered with her daughter’s blood, then having Jeanette “pull down her pants to expose the most hideous wounds that she chose to reopen again and again.”
http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cm...-41/mcanulty-death-jeanette-daughter-jury.csp

The Defense, Ken Hadley:
While he said much of Angela’s actions were bizarre and out of line, she does not pose a threat to society and rather not deliberate in her actions. Because she has never shown violence to others besides her daughter and at times her husband, Richard, society is not at risk. The lawyers said in prison, it is likely Angela will have a hard time, but since she has been in jail, she has not shown any acts of violence or needed disciplinary actions. He urged the jury to make independent decisions with no pressure and no implications; solely based on the facts, he encouraged them not to jump to the death penalty. If McAnulty is sentenced to life in prison with parole after 30 years, that would put her in her 70s.
http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/stor...-sentence-with-or/_Xg5j0eDXUC02NLyWbzS8g.cspx
"If anything, I would say this lady would be a victim if she gets to prison," he said.

Huh. She deserves to die. She does not deserve to have continuing contact with members of her family, friends, or community. She does not deserve to have saviors and counselors giving her succor. She does not deserve to have a mattress, entertainment, conversation, or sustenance. I'd say the verdict should be very simple to arrive at.

"If anything, I would say this lady would be a victim if she gets to prison," he said.

So many things wrong with this statement.

1. This is no lady. Ladies do not do unspeakable things to their children. Not sure what it is, but definitely not a lady.
2. There is no "if she gets to prison." It's all about "when."
3. Why does anybody give a fuck if she becomes a victim in prison? Why does she deserve protection from violence?

I hate this cunt. I really, truly do.

Back