• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Morbid

Rooster Illusion
Staff member
In an effort to close the site but keep it online, so myself @Jaded and @Old Man Metal can move on to screamindemon.com, I was approached by a handful of people with ideas to make that happen.

During the course of these discussions, one I had with Old Man Metal seemed the most promising and made me realize I may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. If it works, it will conclude with everyone getting what they want. The core community gets to continue here as usual reading all the horrible news you can fit into your head, and I can step away and work on what I want to do.

After speaking with @Knox last night to iron out some details, I think we will move forward with that plan, which is as follows:

Dreamindemon.com will remain open, although and the new Front Page will now be a handpicked selection of forum articles as we have been doing over the last month or two. For anyone confused about the "front page" -- it's the site's landing page (dreamindemon.com). You are currently in the forums (dreamindemon.com/community).

I will be handing over the DD side of the forums to @Knox. She will be picking a couple of moderators to help her run the place. I will continue to handle the technical stuff, but otherwise, I will only be moderating the Screamin' Demon side of the forums.

The only changes coming to the forums will be that we will reopen Three Things and the Bold subscriptions will change. We will be going to a Patreon only method of upgrading. It works the same way, but instead of paying $20 a year via Paypal for a Bold membership, you just pay $1 a month ($12 a year) via Paypal to Patreon. There are various reasons why we want to go this route, but one of the big ones is we want the Bold membership to be a perk of being a Patreon for the site - along with some other things that are not forum specific.

As for Screamin' Demon and how it ties into this site:

As I stated before, with SD, we plan on focusing on horror movies, metal, video games, etc. Instead of creating an entirely new forum for it, we will be using these same forums (or the lower half) in an "unoffical" capacity. I will moderate those forums and grab a couple of people to help out.

Screamin' Demon will be heavily focused on video-based content such as podcasts, livestreams and edited video content. We currently have a few things lined up.. a podcast for movie reviews with myself, Jaded and Old Man Metal - along with some special guests. The Pulpit of Doom will return but will not focus entirely on true crime... we will pick a few popular crime related stories for that week but also discuss a bit of everything (so not that much different, really).

Two others (a music reviews\reactions segment with myself and Old Man Metal as well as some video game streaming) will be out around April and I will be on camera for those. Patreon members will have access to this content weeks before they are published to Youtube.

So that's the idea. We are hoping the Patreon side of the house can, at minimum, keep this awesome server paid for and get us to the point that SD brings in some new blood and allow is to advertise again. All I really have to do at this point is modify our Patreon page (https://www.patreon.com/dreamindemon), get Patreon linked to our forums and just start working.

The DD handoff to Knox will take place after this coming weekend. She may (or may have) reached out to a couple of you regarding moderating. She will need help getting articles "promoted" which is what gets an article on the front page (and, in turn, generates the most views). So if you'd like to get an article promoted, work on those titles! :p

There's probably more I am forgetting but I'm sure it may come up in any of the upcoming comments\questions. And look, I don't know if this will work, but if it does we all get what we want. After all of the emails and messages I have gotten since I announced shutting things down, I feel it is worth a shot.

Edited to add that while I was checking on one plugin, I found we are behind in a handfull of them... including a MAJOR xenforo update. So I will be updating the forums... starting with the major Xenforo update. It's an API update, which is a big deal as a lot of the plugins had to be re-written to account for this (also why the Patreon plugin is not currently working).

I will make a forum upgrade thread later today and will be on Discord while it is ongoing in case there are issues... which there very well could be.

Attachments

• DDPulp5_Writers.jpg
    DDPulp5_Writers.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,815
Last edited:
It's totally worth the shot! I am happy and excited to step in and help. I'm going to reach out to a couple of people this afternoon to see if they want to take this crazy ride with me. Nothing much is going to change, so no worries everyone. But thank you Morbid and all the gods or non gods that we have the chance to keep the old girl!

Seriously! I am doing the happy dance (at my desk, in my chair, incognito).
translated (in my head) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm already doing the $1/month Patreon thing for DD, so I guess nothing changes there?

Correct. The only issue I am having is that it is not currently automated. There is a plugin I was going to buy that automated all of that but, guess what! It's now unmaintaned and the creator is saying to hold of purchasing it until he gets it fixed.

What does that mean? That means I just created a real big hassle for myself as now I will have to verfiy each patreon individually to ensure they are made Bold when they buy the subscriptions and are unbolded if they stop. Woo hoo! No idea how to do that until he gets his plugin updated... but I guess it would be some kind of daily cron job that cross-references a Patreon email address with activation date against a forum member's email address, then adjust their profile accordingly. Which means, I AIN'T GOT TIME FOR THAT!. Jebus.

I'll have to do some thinking on that. Hopefully the plugin author will have something working soon.

Correct. The only issue I am having is that it is not currently automated. There is a plugin I was going to buy that automated all of that but, guess what! It's now unmaintaned and the creator is saying to hold of purchasing it until he gets it fixed.

What does that mean? That means I just created a real big hassle for myself as now I will have to verfiy each patreon individually to ensure they are made Bold when they buy the subscriptions and are unbolded if they stop. Woo hoo! No idea how to do that until he gets his plugin updated... but I guess it would be some kind of daily cron job that cross-references a Patreon email address with activation date against a forum member's email address, then adjust their profile accordingly. Which means, I AIN'T GOT TIME FOR THAT!. Jebus.

I'll have to do some thinking on that. Hopefully the plugin author will have something working soon.

Hey. What's your word of the year? Hmmm?

This is just TEH AWESOME - a bit of brainstorming, a touch of membership CPR and viola (or a violin!) and DreaminDemon lives!
Now I just need to know when the Patreon site is up and ready for us, and can we donate more than just a dollar a month?

This is just TEH AWESOME - a bit of brainstorming, a touch of membership CPR and viola (or a violin!) and DreaminDemon lives!
Now I just need to know when the Patreon site is up and ready for us, and can we donate more than just a dollar a month?

I think Morbid is doing an update this afternoon he said so fingers crossed it may be up after that. Yeah, and I'm with you on supporting the site!

Just made a new thread regarding the Bold Memberships. If you ever want to make a straight, one time donation because you are feeling like spreading the love, you can do so here: https://paypal.me/dreamindemon?locale.x=en_US

Later I will add that to the sidebar as well so it isn't so buried.

Thanks @Morbid. I should have searched around the site more b4 asking. I quit Patreon because of" L'Affaire Sargon" The people I funded were: Sargon of Akkad, Sam Harris, Jordan Peterson, Dave Rubin + 2 other people.
Well, when Sargon was forced out, and the three big guys quit on principle, I did too. I've found alternate ways to support all my folks.
Thought i read patreon is going out of business

Let's just say a combination of business plan and a harsh PR blow have made them stagger.

I don't have PayPal ..
Join paypal and use your visa to pay. It is free to join and send money.

Thanks @Morbid. I should have searched around the site more b4 asking.

It's not an issue. I've been making a lot of changes and firing off updates so I know it's tough to keep track of what the hell I am doing.

No way to pay for Bold membership using Visa?

Sorry, but not at this time. But like @Muriel Schwenck stated, Paypal allows you to do straight Visa transactions. I use it myself for when I need to use Paypal but don't want to use my Paypal funds gathered from here to buy something that isn't site related.

Back