• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

A chilling, six-second-long recording of a phone call may hold the key to finding out what happened to a 14-year-old girl who disappeared 45 years ago in New Jersey.

The FBI on Monday released new information about the disappearance of Margaret Ellen Fox, who was last seen boarding a bus in Burlington City, heading for Mount Holly on June 24, 1974.

Fox left her home that morning to go to a babysitting job, which was the last time her family would see or hear from her.

“The disappearance of Margaret Fox has haunted this community for decades,” Burlington City Police Chief John Fine said in a news release. “As many local residents and police officers would tell you, they would hear the message every week at the end of church services to pray for a safe return of Margaret Fox. As chief of police, I want to bring closure to this case and bring home an answer to the Fox family and community."

The 14-year-old left her Burlington City home, about 20 miles northeast of Philadelphia, on the morning of June 24 and took the 8:40 a.m. bus to Mount Holly to meet a man who posted an ad in the newspaper for babysitting work. It would have been her first job.

The man had told Margaret he would pick her up in Mount Holly at the corner of Mill and High Streets, and witnesses reported seeing a young girl matching her description getting off a bus that same morning, according to the FBI.

Hours after Fox was reported missing, a phone call was placed to the family's home that purported to be from a man claiming he had Margaret in his custody and demanded money for her return. On a portion of the call that was recorded, the unknown caller made a haunting demand to her parents.

"$10,000 might be a lot of bread, but your daughter’s life is the buttered topping," the unknown caller says. Margaret's mother than replies "Who is this?" as the call ends.

The FBI said Monday that phone calls were being recorded at the Fox family home in the hours after Margaret was reported missing. Law enforcement officials released the new enhanced clip of the audio recording in the hopes that someone may recognize the voice.

I realize we live in an era of pussified helicopter parents but who in their right mind thought this was even remotely a good idea? 14 year old girl taking a bus to meet a strange dude? Are you kidding me?

The 14-year-old left her Burlington City home, about 20 miles northeast of Philadelphia, on the morning of June 24 and took the 8:40 a.m. bus to Mount Holly to meet a man who posted an ad in the newspaper for babysitting work. It would have been her first job.

Back