• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
[....]
The girl crossed a safety barrier surrounding a black bear enclosure at about 7 p.m. PT and ended up in an area closed to the public, a zoo official said Tuesday.

According to RCMP, the girl then stuck her arm through a chain-link fence and was bitten.

Paramedics were called to the scene, including two critical care teams and an air ambulance, said B.C. Emergency Health Services.

The girl was airlifted to hospital in serious condition. Officials did not release any more details about her condition.
[....]
"The zoo team is deeply saddened and shocked by the incident that occurred yesterday," Menita Prasad, the zoo's animal care manager, told reporters Tuesday.

"I've been with the facility for 15 years," she added, "and I've never experienced something like this."

The enclosure was closed Tuesday as local police and conservation officers investigated.

The bear will not be euthanized, said Insp. Murray Smith of the B.C. Conservation Officer Service.

There are two sets of fences bordering the bear enclosure. The first is made of low, wooden posts and beams with chain-link fencing. The second, about a metre ahead, is a taller chain-link fence.
full

It's yet not clear how the girl managed to reach the second fence. Prasad said the zoo is investigating.

"If there are areas for improvement, then yes, we will make the necessary changes," she said.

Prasad said the zoo has staff on site to respond to emergencies. She declined to say how the girl escaped.

The Greater Vancouver Zoo has about 600 animals, including several bears, lions and giraffes. The black bear enclosure houses three young bears, who came to the zoo as orphans in 2017.
[....]

Likely Chinese.
Not being racist.
Just seems to be a thing common in China and Vancouver has a sizable Asian population.

The bear won't be touched as it was not the bears fault and the kid ignored safety measures that have worked for years. It is not the Bruins fault it's hers and possibly her parents. Hell they should all be euthanized for being idiots

Likely Chinese.
Not being racist.
This. I was looking to see if I could find out if she was a tourist or maybe recent arrival. Growing up in BC I can tell you that any child from about the age of 4+ (earlier depending where you live) knows bears are bad fucking news. Even city kids know this. Bears are everywhere and sometimes stroll right down city streets. Majority of people hurt in incidents involving bears are often tourists and not actual locals... and then I found this...
A two-year-old girl was airlifted to hospital Monday after being attacked by a bear at the Greater Vancouver Zoo.

Best part..Daddy dearest wants to sue. Maybe he should look for a another mother instead of a lawyer. One who will actually watch his children when she takes them to places with dangerous carnivorous animals instead of trying to make a buck off his child. Her medical will be fully covered, it's not like he even needs to worry about that.

"They were all watching the bears and the next thing you know, you hear the kids screaming and they ran over and had to, know you, get it to stop biting her," said Hanson, who was in Victoria at the time of the incident.

The concerned father was told their daughter was attacked by a black bear through a fence, and that she suffered a broken arm and lost a fingertip in the incident.

"I talked to the hospital and they said she's in stable condition. They said she has extensive injuries to her arm," Hanson said.

The little girl, who is currently being cared for at BC Children's Hospital, is going to need multiple surgeries, according to the family.

Hanson said his wife was also left traumatized by what happened. He plans to seek legal counsel.

The Greater Vancouver Zoo’s animal care manager, Menita Prasad, said the little girl was in an area not authorized for the public, though she could not say precisely where at the bear enclosure the incident took place.
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/greater-vanco...g-after-2-year-old-attacked-by-bear-1.4538070

This father sounds like a damn idiot.

And I just knew it would be a little girl. Sticking your arm through chainlink is not something an older child could do... well at least easily

2 years old, got over a fence and was there long enough to stick her arm into an enclosure. Yeah, somebody was not watching her very closely. NOT the zoo's fault. Hope the case is dismissed and CPS (or whatever they have in BC) is looking into these parents' parenting skills.

Back