• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
On July 9, 2018, a 3-year-old girl left in the care of Jeremiah R. Smith was burned so severely by scalding water that she ended up spending three weeks in the Westchester Medical Center burn unit and was forced to undergo plastic surgery.

In Ulster County Court on Tuesday, a prosecutor told a seven-woman, five-man jury that Smith intentionally caused the first- and second-degree burns to the child's lower body by holding her down in a tub of scalding water.

The defense, meanwhile, said the child was burned in a tragic accident when Smith, who was babysitting at the time, left the child unattended in a tub filling with water.

In her opening statement to the jury, Assistant District Attorney Kathleen Klein told jurors she will present evidence that will leave them no doubt that Smith intended to inflict the injuries that left the little girl screaming in pain.

She said jurors will hear from emergency personnel that the child cried "no more tubby, no more tubby, he held me down," and from the doctors who treated the child that she screamed in agony from the pain.

Klein said doctors will testify about the "dire condition" the child was in when she first arrived by ambulance in the emergency room at HealthAlliance of the Hudson Valley's Broadway Campus in Kingston and about bruises she said "ominously" began to appear on the child's torso as doctors worked to stabilize her.

Defense Attorney Joseph O'Connor conceded Smith was responsible for the child being burned, but he said what happened was an accident.

O'Connor said Smith put the child into a tub with the water running, then left the bathroom to do some cleaning and heard the child scream.

"My client violated a rule of parenting: Never leave a child unattended in a bath," O'Connor said. "He's a dope," the lawyer said. "He's a moron. ... If you're a parent, you want to grab him, choke him."

But, O'Connor said, jurors will hear that when Smith heard the child cry out, he rushed back into the bathroom and grabbed her from the tub, tried to splash cold water on her and then "raced her to the sink" then to the air conditioner to try to cool the her burns. Also, the defense lawyer, said, it was Smith who called 911.

"At the end of this case, we will show you a list of reasons to doubt this injury was caused intentionally," O'Connor said. "You'll want to scream at him ... but you will not at any time say he intentionally injured that child."

A Port Ewen man has been acquitted of intentionally burning a 3-year-old girl with scalding water.

A seven-woman, five-man jury in Ulster County Court found Jeremiah R. Smith not guilty of two felony counts of assault, but he was convicted of the misdemeanor of endangering the welfare of a child.

The jury returned its verdict Friday afternoon following a four-day trial.

Smith, 30, of Salem Street, was arrested in July 2018. Authorities alleged he held the girl down in a tub of scalding water, causing her to suffer first- and second-degree burns to her lower body.

Smith was babysitting the child for a friend at the time of the incident, authorities have said.

The child first was treated at HealthAlliance of the Hudson Valley's Broadway Campus in Kingston, then airlifted to the Westchester Medical Center burn unit, where she remained for three weeks.

Last edited:
Bullshit. Even at 3 years old she wouldn't have just fkin SAT in scalding hot water. No, that moron was holding her down to punish her and $100 bucks says she "soiled her clothes". If not, then what the hell was he doing BATHING her? It just really pisses me off that the baby freaking TELLS them he held her down and no one believes her. GAH. I got to go punch something now (but it will NOT be a baby or an animal!).

I have a child, his first and only, with this scum and I'm so glad that he decided not to do 6 months of parenting classes during this case to be able to have visits with MY daughter. He was never really involved from the start. I have Full custody of her and make sure to not raise a potential criminal, if you search his name you'll see why I said criminal. He can say that he loves and cares for her but in reality he uses other people to get things for her, he slept while she visited, he lives with his mother who continues to enable his violent ways upon her and others. Numerous times out of spite he'd call CPS on me because my daughter was being instructed by him to disrespect me, siblings, and child care providers and I stopped taking her to her grandma's house for his biweekly weekend visits.

Yes I made a mistake but I learned. I learned more things about him late and wished people who knew things about him were honest about it with me.

He is a women beater, and doesn't care who sees, children included. I hope these other women, yes more then one currently 2021, who have children not related to him keep their kids and themselves safe and leave him alone. He's not relationship material, he cheats, he's abusive, and just a terrible human altogether. Just because the "D" is good doesn't mean the heart/intentions is/are. Just saying. This is what happens when prison life is a huge majority of a person's life and no help was mandated, just time served.

The mother of this child even after this case continued to contact him. Some women can be so selfish to satisfy their sexual wants or needs instead of doing the right thing. He left your child in the tub!! That's the part you don't get! He's at fault, not the temp of the water in your apartment to place the blame on the landlord.

Back