• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
There's nothing more heartbreaking than the moments before a family pet dies. But what about the moment before a dog you've never even known dies and you were the only person who could help it?

Katie Nicole Flowers wrote about a moment that happened to her last Wednesday involving a dog.

"You didn't die alone today," the post begins.

Flowers says she was driving to work when she saw a 50-pound dog in a ditch that could not move.

"You were skinny, covered in dirt and ticks," Flowers wrote. "You whined at me, licked my hand, tried to stand up. But you couldn't. Your back legs wouldn't work."

Flowers said she sprung into action to get the dog into her car and off to the vet. The drive there was tough, Flowers indicated.

"I kept my hand on you the whole way so you knew you weren't alone," Flowers said. "I gave you some water, and you drank the whole bottle. How long had you been alone in that ditch without anything to eat or drink?"

Flowers said she made it to the vet and needed help to get the dog inside because she was afraid to hurt the animal any further.

"But while we waited, I stroked your head," she wrote. "Talked to you, let you know everything would be okay."

Flowers said the vet's diagnosis was grim. A broken back. "There was nothing they could do," she wrote.

Instead, the discussion turned to end of life care.

"They told me that have a nice man that buries the ashes of the dogs on his farm outside of town," Flowers said. "I don't know if that's true or not, but I like to believe it is."

It was time for the dog to go. Flowers steeled herself for the moments ahead.

"I stroked your fur while they put you to sleep, and I cried when you took your last breath. I don't know if you ever knew love before today. I hope that you did. But even if you didn't, I hope you know that you were so loved in your last moments. You mattered to someone. And I'll carry you with me forever," Flowers said.

Nope. No tears. I guess I'm heartless.

I'll bet you felt a twinge of sadness.
Post automatically merged:

Ok. Now I'm bawling.
I literally just brought my pretty princess's remains home, and relived the painful loss of my sweet girl all over again.
This story makes my heart ache.

Spazzy my love, I'm still so sorry for your loss, but remember she'll be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.

I am not impressed by people who post long social media stories about how they felt all the proper emotions.
Good for her taking the dog to be put out of its misery. Bad for her turning it into a maudlin internet story where - guess what - she ends up getting praised!
[

Back