• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The subject of the TLC show “The World’s Fattest Man” is fleeing the US for Britain — for an estimated $137,000 in free health care.

Paul Mason, who weighed almost 1,000 pounds before having gastric band surgery in 2009, has been almost constantly hospitalized in Athol, Massachusetts, after starting to regain weight after a bad breakup.

He feared being crippled financially by US medical costs — so is instead moving back to his native Britain this week to get the work covered for free by the National Health Service.

“We all fall apart when things get tough. Doing it over here in America has been the worst thing I could have done because there’s no support. But there is in the UK.”

Paul, 58, who now weighs more than 500 pounds from a low of 275, told The Sun that he needs surgery to replace his knees, repair eight stomach hernias and adjust his bypass.

He also needs continual medication, monthly iron transfusions, counseling sessions, mobility aids and home modifications.

The Sun estimated the procedures will cost the NHS at least $137,000 — and could be even more if he gets free housing.

“As a British citizen Paul is entitled to free health care — but this really takes the biscuit,” complained James Roberts of the TaxPayers’ Alliance. “The NHS should not be a backup option for health problems abroad.”

“I can understand people in Britain saying, ‘Why should my tax pay for him?’” he said. “But I’m no sponger — I deserve it as much as any Brit.”

Paul first moved to the US in 2014 for surgery to remove the flaps of loose skin left by his weight loss.

He stayed after he met a pathetic woman willing to date him. He states the cause of the breakup was his binge eating.

His big toe was so disgusted with his fat ass it got amputated.

The fatty has an outstanding fine of $250 for stealing $1,000 in food.

“As a British citizen Paul is entitled to free health care — but this really takes the biscuit,” complained James Roberts of the TaxPayers’ Alliance. “The NHS should not be a backup option for health problems abroad.”

Yep, he really took that biscuit, and about a thousand more followed into his never-ending consumption hole.

Bottom-right photo...is powdered sugar all over his shoulders?

And his former girlfriend's name...not making this up....Rebecca Mountain. :woot:

If James Roberts of the TaxPayers Alliance were to go on holiday and sustain a bone fracture, you can bet your bottom dollar he would be using the NHS to get it tended once he returned to the UK.

--Al

Most likely, but his ankle injury also probably wouldn't cost more than a £ 1000 unlike lardo, who lost all this weight and has now put himself in the predicament of needing very expensive medical treatments by overeating and (probably lack of exercise)....if its his own fault, then he should have to pay for it (or at least a good chunk of it)

Most likely, but his ankle injury also probably wouldn't cost more than a £ 1000 unlike lardo, who lost all this weight and has now put himself in the predicament of needing very expensive medical treatments by overeating and (probably lack of exercise)....if its his own fault, then he should have to pay for it (or at least a good chunk of it)
Mr. Roberts's objection seems to be not that the dude is seeking medical services, but that he is seeking them for conditions incurred outside the country. I am wondering if he would be so aggrieved if Mr. Mason had loved, and lost, then doubled his weight while living in the UK instead of doing all three while out of the country.

--Al

The stuff that passes for journalism these days..
That's @Sugar Cookie's edit, Suds.

TBH, when I got to that part of the post I wondered. Then when I read that his toe was so disgusted it got amputated, I had to go to the linked article.

I actually have seen linked articles that read like something put through multiple translations. They leave me scratching my head and saying, "WTF did I just read?"

--Al

29 September 2019

The former world's fattest man has implored the NHS to save his life and admits he is 'in the last chance saloon' after his weight ballooned back to 36 stone.

Paul Mason, 59, once more than 70 stone, has been rushed to hospital four times since he arrived back from five years in the US in June.

Earlier this year he said he needed to return to the UK 'for the assistance I need to get my life back on track.'

Now, Mr Mason says he will need multiple surgeries, including new knees, a hip and numerous hernia operations, costing the NHS over £100,000.

Speaking from an undisclosed location, Mr Mason told the Mirror: 'The NHS have saved my life time and again. I could be dead without them.

'I'm determined to get my health back so I don't let them down – I just need them to help me one last time.'

Mr Mason soared to fame on TLC show World's Fattest Man and his ex-fiance Rebecca Mountain proposed to him live, but the former postman from Ipswich says he failed to ever bring his eating under control.

'I destroyed people's lives through my eating, I tore our family apart,' Mr Mason told the Mirror. 'I know I am in the last chance saloon, you can only push your body so far before it starts kicking back at you, I have definitely got to do something.

'I have thought about taking my own life but I cannot let it come to that.'

Mr Mason said earlier this year that his eating spiraled after breaking up with Ms Mountain and he gorged on pizza in his sorrow.

Before moving to join Ms Mountain, an eight stone vegetarian, in Massachusetts in 2014, Mr Mason's care was costing UK taxpayers £100,000-a-year and an estimated £1.5million in total.

In a 2002 medical emergency, fire crews had to take out a window and brickwork so a forklift could take him out of the house and to hospital in a five-ton ambulance specially built for obese people.

By 2009 he needed a life-saving operation after putting away 20,000 calories a day, including three family-sized takeaway meals an evening.

Then in 2010 he had gastric bypass surgery that shrunk his stomach to the size of an egg.

In 2013 Ms Mountain contacted Mr Mason after seeing a documentary about him.

The pair got engaged and in May 2015 he had four stone of excess skin cut from his body in a nine-hour procedure in New York.

The NHS had refused to do the £30,000 operation until his weight had been stable for two years.

Despite him getting down to 19 stone, the couple called off their engagement in September 2015.

1589061855556.png

Last edited:
Back