• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Muriel Schwenck

Beloved Curmudgeon
Recently, it was banning beef on a university campus for climate control, but let's not forget about the sexual exploitation of dairy cows!!

Aug 15, 2019
[...]

Titled “Readying the Rape Rack: Feminism and the Exploitation of Non-Human Reproductive Systems,”the paper was published Friday in a journal called Dissenting Voices, which is published and edited by the Women’s and Gender Studies program at the College at Brockport State University of New York.

[...]

According to the publication, “the dairy industry is a host for sex-based discrimination,” and a “site where sexual assault and objectification based on biological makeup are highly prevalent but ignored as we choose to neglect non- humans with whom we share a planet.”

The paper argues that “in order to fully fight gendered oppression,” society must also address the plight of dairy cows, which it asserts are “still subjects to sex-based discrimination and violence,” despite their voices being “not always lifted or comprehensible.”

[...]
But author Mackenzie April, an intern [LMAO] for Brockport's Women's Studies Department, goes further than the assertion that milk is bad for humans, by claiming that the practice of dairy farming “also supports and exemplifies the degrading way in which we treat female bodies and reproductive health,” adding that she hopes the publication will inspire feminists and other “social justice”-minded individuals to “incorporate non-human bodies into their own feminist perspectives.”

“If we are going to argue fairly for the rights of all beings in a world soured with sex and gender-based oppression, then dairy cows deserve to be taken into account when discussing issues of reproductive women’s health,” April, who then compares barren female cattle to human women who choose not to have children, writes.

“If women do not choose to become mothers, they are shamed. If a female cow is incapable of successfully bearing a calf, they are sent away for slaughter. Their reproductive system is useless, therefore, they, as a being, are useless,” April notes, arguing that this is indicative of a “double standard,” as civilized society would cringe at the thought of murdering women once they become infertile.

“The outdated stereotype about women being caretakers and most importantly child-bearers remains consistent in the dairy industry, especially when we take into account the means through which these animals are exploited,” April argues, pointing specifically to the insemination of cattle, which she compares to “rape,” the milking of cows, which she compares to "sexual abuse," “emotional trauma related to pregnancy,” and “nonconsensual hormone treatments.”

April encourages readers to attempt to “place the importance of animals’ lives as equal to your own,” and address the plight of dairy cows “similar to how you might validate and advocate for the struggles of women that you personally do not endure due to the privilege of race, gender, class, etc.”

[...]

I don't know how comprehensive this paper is, but goats and ewes are valuable for commercial milk production. I hope our despairing feminist vegan SJW has not forgotten about those poor exploited creatures.

Also, while she bemoans the slaughter of barren dairy cows, does she address the fact that every male calf born of a dairy cow is slaughtered for veal unless it is that rare beast qualified to become a breeding bull?
How does almost total slaughter of young males rank in the violence and gender oppression Victim Competition?

Last edited:
Now I have to worry about gender oppression in livestock? How does someone submit this type of paper seriously? I'mma go write a thesis on transgendered orca and how they're being oppressed by the tide now... BRB. :finger:
Check out the grievance studies hoax. Featuring Portland's own, Dr. Peter Boghossian, who received personal threats for poking fun and exposing academic foolishness. Their dog park study wasn't much different from your orca idea.
This is a good overview.

Last edited:
Dr B! I attended a class of his eons ago. Interesting fellow. I love his take on a lot of things... If nothing else, it's good for a laugh! I'll look at this at home. Sooner if Bossman takes of early for the coast. ;)

Recently, it was banning beef on a university campus for climate control, but lets not forget about the sexual exploitation of dairy cows!!

I don't know how comprehensive this paper is, but goats and ewes are valuable for commercial milk production. I hope our desparing feminist vegan SJW has not forgotten about those poor exploited creatures.

Also, while she bemoans the slaughter of barren dairy cows, does she address the fact that every male calf born of a dairy cow is slaughtered for veal unless it is that rare beast qualified to become a breeding bull?
How does almost total slaughter of young males rank in the violence and gender oppression Victim Competition?
Idk if anyone recalls what I said the other day about not judging a group by its fringe elements, but... Please don't think that all people concerned with social justice automatically support this quackery. Let me just speak for the vast majority of people associated with feminism, liberalism, academia, animal rights, etc, when I say that this paper is *complete nonsense*.

Idk if anyone recalls what I said the other day about not judging a group by its fringe elements, but... Please don't think that all people concerned with social justice automatically support this quackery. Let me just speak for the vast majority of people associated with feminism, liberalism, academia, animal rights, etc, when I say that this paper is *complete nonsense*.
Duh. We know that, and reserve the right to heap scorn on the idiots.
Like nazi, white supremacist, racist, the term social justice has become completely useless because it's been hijacked for every little reason by smug, self righteous, lazy thinkers.

Last edited:
I wonder if she knows how the soybean crops that produced her (undoubtedly) vegan sustenance were mated and ultimately harvested against their will, physically abused as their soil was pumped full of chemicals forcing their yield to swell, only to be plucked before they could bear the fruits of their labors naturally. Maybe the soy plant just wanted to grow free, spreading its leaves to meet the summer sun, and not worrying about bringing more innocent little beans into this crazy fucked up world of ours... but we stripped them (<- preferred pronoun) of that choice.

So many parallels to the plight of the poor dairy cow.

We're monsters. :penguin:

I give zero toots about how a cow identifies.
It is a cow.
It makes milk.
Milk is yummy.
Cows are beef.
Beef is yummy.
Seeing a pattern?

I have the higher brain function and opposable thumbs.
Guess who eats steaks smothered in burgers washed down with milkshakes?

I feel strongly that any animals raised for consumption should be well treated and never abused. But Migod, this is idiotically fringe goofiness.

Now if you will excuses me, it is time for 6 a.m. beef eating.

“The outdated stereotype about women being caretakers and most importantly child-bearers remains consistent in the dairy industry

Unless Ive missed something recently..women aren't child-bearers because we want to hog that profession or even because we choose to be..its because we are the only ones with bodies designed to do so. Women around the world will rejoice and celebrate the day men are capable of bearing children on their own.

Im pleased that this is the thesis she choose for her dissertation. First step is to write the thesis and get it published in a scientific journal. Next is to go in front of a panel and defend that thesis, which she's not going to be able to do with this topic. Hopefully she minored in something useful :D

Here's a lecture at Univ of British Columbia from Natalie O'Laughlin, doctoral candidate in Feminist Studies at the University of Washington.
The brown pelican, beloved symbol of Louisiana is "symbolically and materially implicated in a history of racialized, sexual violence".
It's a big circle jerk. They lecture each other because no one else believes this hogwash.

Queer Toxic Ecologies: Analyses and Implications of the Pelicans of the BP
When: Friday, January 12, 2018 9:30 AM - 10:30 AM

Abstract:

The 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico had staggering effects on the coast, and oiled brown pelicans were haunting representations of the extent of this catastrophe. But what do these pelican images tell us about gender, race, and sexuality in ecological contexts? Utilizing feminist discourse analysis of pelicans in post-spill popular media and historical analysis of pelicans as the state mascot of Louisiana, this presentation articulates how this bird is symbolically and materially implicated in a history of racialized, sexual violence. I explore how this history is diffracted in contemporary discourses and argue for acknowledging the reproductive harms of environmental toxins without reifying norms of white, hetero-reproductive families.

All are welcome to attend.
Cost: Free

Last edited:
Back