• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ells9824

Bold Member!
In her lawsuit filed Nov. 16 in Washington Superior Court, Campbell also claims the Richfield-based company failed to immediately notify her of the possibility of identity theft. She is seeking punitive damages, plus the cost of her computer and expenses for identity theft protection.

A Best Buy spokeswoman said the company already gave Campbell $1,110.35 for the cost of the laptop and warranty, as well as a $500 gift card for her inconvenience.

She wanted to give the card back but they wouldn't talk to her,so she donated it.

http://tinyurl.com/2cx355
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First rule of customer service : Don't lose stuff.
Second rule: if you screw up #1, make it right.

I really hope this lady's case gets thrown out. Anytime I have EVER sent out a computer I've erased saved passwords. That's just smart. You never know what 10.00 an hour pc tech will decide to look at. I really don't see how BB can be held any more responsible than they already have.

Last edited:
She took a broken PC to BestBuy for repair? And now she want sympathy?

No way.

I really hate scumbag lawyers and their oportunistic clients that take part on this retarded frivolous lawsuits... 54Mill? sure bitch, your credit is that good you need that money in case identity theft happens and they buy a fucking island under your name...

Anyway, the loss of said computer resulting in identity theft because someone physically stold the computer is the exact same as if they had stolen her info while it was under their posesion. The grand and 500 GC should hold her rigth.

In this case, I'm going to have to side with her. I think the number is obscene, but that can get fixed in court. No sense in letting the number hinder an otherwise legitimate case.

Care to elaborate why? They are paying her the cost of the computer, warranty plus an extra 500(nearly 50% more of the cost of what she lost).

Identity theft is a risk in this places, and rigth now she is not more at risk as if they had the computer in their possesion pretending to fix it. The only point I can see for a lawsuit is if she had valuable stuff in the hard drive but the article makes no mention of it.

The way It looks at me is as if as someone gets their shity economy car 2003 stolen from a valet parking service and then is not content with the shity economy car 2008 they are giving him and instead demands a Porche.

I think the data risk is what makes it valid. Even if there is no identity theft risk, it reveals personal details that, if misused, could be very damaging to her and her career.

Well but wouldnt those risks be there at the moment she put the laptop in their hands? It wouldnt take long to duplicate her whole hardrive, Like I said about identity theft, she is no less secure now than the first moment she took it to em.

If there is something higly damaging or compromising(or ireplacable for that mather) for her she should have had the hindsight to back up and remove it if posible and if not she should have contracted a private tech she could oversee trougth the whole procedure even if it was more expensive.

There is a saying, If you pay peanuts you get monkeys, she went to a cheap place where everyone with half a brain knows its not particularly secure, maybe she bougth it there with an insurance or maybe she just wanted to pay less, its still irelevant, she went to the place where she would pay peanuts instead of a competent private tech.

Im sure BB does a good enuff job at protecting things from geting stolen as having to reinburse clients aint economically sound not to say the bad rep if this was a comon ocurrance but sometimes shit just happens and they lost more than her due it, she got enuff for a new comp from them wile they got to pay that reinbursment witougth even geting the broken one for spare parts.

And anyway, If anything the fact it was stolen(if it isnt simply misplaced) likley means they wanted it for the physical pice and its likley already formated.

Sure there is a risk if they have the computer. But the assumption is that nothing will happen, as they are a business with responsibilities, and will respect her privacy. When lost, there is no telling where the data is, or how it is being used. The malicious potential makes her case valid.

As per data, it may not be that she needs it, as much as it is that sensitive personal data is on it and waiting to be abused. So the security threat is real, much like the AOL search leak a couple of years back.

I wonder what the precedent in law is for losing someone's personal pictures at a photolab. I really can't see her getting any more than what Best Buy has already offered her.

Last edited:
I agree with the women on this one. When you take your computer someplace to get it fixed... you have a certain level of trust that the company is going to be professional and not steal your personal information.

I know from the couple of times I've taken in my PC to get it fixed, the last thing on my mind was "will Doug be stealing my passwords so he can go buy a boat in California with my credit card number". Now be it I took my PC to a guy that I actually knew and not a large corporation, so there was more of a level of trust.

Anyhow... her PC was stolen, who knows who took it or what they're doing with it. If someone is stupid enough to steal, then they're probably stupid enough to want to use any kind of information they can find on it.

I agree she should sue, especially since they jacked her around for so long. Best Buy is at fault here. I hope she wins, and I hope she wins for a ridiculously large sum... like five million in damages.

Anarchy in the UK! :D

~Kyle

Back