• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
An Asheville couple was terrified after a trip to Pack Square Park when a woman tried to grab their baby, WLOS reports.

The couple said on Friday, Aug, 9, they had taken their 1-year-old son to the splash pads.

The father said things quickly escalated.

“I tripped as I was pulling him out of her hands, and, at one point, I was above her pulling my son up and she was stabbing me in the stomach with a cane,” he said. “[My wife] got on top of the woman and pulled her fingers open to get her to finally let go of my son.”

The father said he is thankful his son wasn’t seriously injured.

Asheville police identified the suspect as Shannon Adams.

Adams was arrested for two counts of simple assault on Aug. 9, and the following day an additional charge of assault on child under 12 was added, police say.

The magistrate did not find enough elements to support a charge of kidnapping.
1566305759761.png

"Adams was arrested for two counts of simple assault on Aug. 9, and the following day an additional charge of assault on child under 12 was added, police say.
The magistrate did not find enough elements to support a charge of kidnapping."

Don't understand why charges did not include attempted kidnapping...

I'm incredibly naive I guess. I thought this stuff only happens in crappy W network made for TV movies. I'm just so relieved that the little one is ok and praying his momma and daddy get over the shock and upset.

In NC, you have to move someone from point A to point B for it to be kidnapping; since she didn't do anything but grab the kid and hold him in place, no kidnapping. That said, what she did does seem to rise to the level of common law unlawful restraint; I'd have at least tried for that.

And for reference... as much as I like Asheville, it is filled with hippy freaks, who sometimes take more drugs than they should, and Pack Square is Hippy Freak Ground Zero. Huge drum circle there every Friday night; this is from a 2016 beercation visit:

asheville_pack_square_drum_circle_091616.jpg

Back