• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
octopusbeak.jpeg

TACOMA, Wash. - When Jamie Bisceglia met up with some fishermen who had hooked an octopus during a fishing derby in the Tacoma Narrows August 2, she saw an opportunity for an unusual picture.

"It was a photo contest in the derby. So, crazy me, hindsight now and looking back, I probably made a big mistake," Bisceglia said.
[....]
"It had barreled its beak into my chin and then let go a little bit and did it again," said Bisceglia. "It was a really intense pain when it went inside and it just bled, dripping blood for a long time."

Bisceglia said the octopus was a smaller juvenile version of a giant Pacific octopus, although a spokeswoman at the Point Defiance Aquarium says it could have been a Pacific red octopus. Both have a powerful beak used to break and eat crabs, clams and mussels. And their bite contains a poisonous venom to immobilize their prey.

Bisceglia says that venom left her in incredible pain. But as owner of South Sound Salmon Sisters, she kept fishing for two more days before she finally went to the emergency room.

"And I'm still in pain," said Bisceglia. "I'm on three different antibiotics. This can come and go, the swelling, for months they say."

She says the whole painful experience taught her a valuable lesson about handling a live octopus.

"This was not a good idea," said Bisceglia. "I will never do it again."

Last edited by a moderator:
All octopuses have beaks. All octopuses can bite. And all octopuses are venomous. I'm a little surprised she didn't know that.

--Al

I'm not surprised, since I didn't know that either (although I don't make a habit of handling wild animals, ever).

But how the hell did the fisherman not see this coming? Or maybe she really sucks and they wanted to see her face sucked. Who knows.

Oh I'm seeing the fishermen that gave it to her nudging each other and having a hard time keeping a straight face when she did this idiocy. And a $5 bill being passed between two of them in the back who bet whether or not she'd do something stupid with it. Always bet on the stupid, you usually win.

Back