• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Authorities tell ABC Action News they found the woman suspected of dumping her pets on the side of the road in Ruskin.

Critter Adoption and Rescue Effort, or C.A.R.E. Animal Shelter, told ABC Action News that the woman tried to surrender 10 cats and an elderly dog Tuesday morning.

The shelter told the woman they couldn't accept the pets because the shelter was full.

The woman was then caught on camera dumping all 11 of the pets on the side of the road. Authorities say they found the woman but did not release her identity.

Hillsborough County plans to charge the woman with 11 counts of animal abandonment, which is a misdemeanor charge.

“She didn’t know what to do and didn’t think it was illegal to abandon the animals," said investigator Roger Mills. “There’s always options. There’s hundreds of rescues out there. If you go online, people will come to you."

Animal investigators told ABC Action News that most of the animals left on the side of the road have been found and will be up for adoption at a pet resource center. Investigators say they are still looking for "a couple of cats and the elderly dog."

I am not IN ANY WAY condoning her actions, but have been in that situation - sort of. I live in a rural area where people frequently dump animals. Came across a momma cat and 4 kittens. Took them to the only shelter in my area, which is also a no-kill shelter, and was turned away due to them being full. Called every shelter in the nearby counties, same thing. Finally found one that would take them if I made a "donation", which I did. I do not support no-kill shelters for this very reason. Once they take in x number of animals, that's it. Until some are adopted they just turn animals away. What to do? I'm sorry but I'd rather see an animal humanely euthanized over being chucked out on the street.

I have heard someone say the animal(s) "have a chance of being found and adopted if I dump them" when, really, the chances are they'll be run over and killed which is much less humane than euthanasia.

Back