• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Flask

I play all this old 70's stuff like Andrew Gold, Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon, and Cheap Trick, and it sounds good. Old as all hell, but good. I like a lot of 80's tunes too. But the 90's, 2000s and 2010s is full of all this God awful mainstream stuff, which is odd, because every decade full of pop music is also classed as mainstream. Stuff like, bleep, bleep, we'll just drum machine the heck out of this song and that song, plus me singing into a machine, "My gal left me, oh oh oh oh, and I am all A-L-L-L-L-O-N-E, so oh my God, baby, I just G-O-O-O-O-T over you, but I cried all night about you, and then I found somebody new, so S-H-A-K-E that A-A-A-A-S and oh oh oh!" - kind of nonsense!

Whenever I go on YouTube to watch a *REAL* band perform, like U2 or Sting and the Police or something like this, I'm shown a 10 second, annoying, spammy ad of some bimbo's new "music" - because my ad blocker doesn't seem to even block that crap any more, and I honestly don't think anybody has standards any more when it comes to having a good taste in songwriting. There's no real instruments or even any depth to their vocals, or what's the word? Emotion?

This lady sadly died in 1997, but when she had this hit with a cover of a Neil Young record in 1978, you can tell she had a good voice for this type of material.

I don't even think the music industry is truly about the musical side of things any longer, in general. It's like some marketing tool to brainwash y'all. I actually feel the same way about movies too. It's too... 'in your face' and gore-soaked, repetitive garbage, and "reboots" of classic films now, and everything lacks a good story. In fact, I think they shy away from using the term 'remake' nowadays, for some reason, with them now always preferring to say, it's a reboot, or reimagining.

Everything feels recycled. Women were better dressed in the era of like, 1953, and women had then could act and sing. Maybe all that snow-blowing in the 80s and the change in fashion over the last 50 years is to blame for all this nonsense. Every decade is probably gonna get worse. And I hope John Lennon isn't turning over in his grave right now at the state of today's plastic pop. I'm sure he'd have embraced electronic music too, but I'm sure he would have still kept rock music feeling relevant, like Elton John has did. Or even guys like Billy Joel. They kept up with the times because they knew music was changing, but they still made great stuff in each active decade they were making music in, through the new wave era and beyond. Although new music from Madonna sucks, I do like her famous hits.

The UK number one on this day, 3 decades ago. Now, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy this track, but it's a tolerable song.

This week's actual chart topper in Great Britain, as of me writing this post, is this song. I mean, if you love this sort of music, more power to you. But me? Nah!

My reaction: "Oh...my...God! It's...DIP!"

4fb.jpg

Last edited:
Good news.
You can listen to what ever you like.
Post automatically merged:

I actually liked that Billy ray Cyrus song.
Okay, not liked. But thought it was okay.

Last edited:
Well, I was born in 1986. A lot of people I spoke to years ago were amazed that I knew about all these Aussie groups, despite being young and Scottish. It's all thanks to nzoz1982 on YouTube, and his other channels. :p

I also really like this site. It's about music in Canada. It has all the hits listed since their charts started in 1964.

Back