• You must be logged in to see or use the chatbox

DIAFplease

New phone, who dis?
Bold Member!

ME!!

Being a die hard zombie apocalypse fan and a TWD fan, I am supa dupa excited. It looks completely different and really scary. If something like this would ever happen, be it a crazy rabies strain or whatever, you know for the first few days people would assume it was some sort of joke. Just from the trailer alone, it really gives this sense of dread and panic. I am not sure how long the first season is but it would really make my little dark and twisty heart happy if it played on through until October.

Here's a trailer if you hadn't seen it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
Yep, I'm thinking about hooking my cable back up just because of the Walking Dead.

DIAFplease

New phone, who dis?
Bold Member!
I've been watching the old episodes on Wednesday nights (basic cable channel here) because I am a nerd. :sorry:

Macabre

Black Cat Mafia
Bold Member!
I'm really feeling this, because unlike TWD these characters will not be as well established within a fan base. Less points of conjecture and comparison for a viewer like myself.

I would honestly be pleased if this series did it's own thing entirely.

brokenandtwisted

Trusted Member
I'm not sure how I feel...kind of want to watch it. I bailed on TWD after season four. Didn't really care for the story. I don't sense an outbreak investigation, and whatever the aetiology, it seems rather tame. I was sort of hoping for something resembling 28 Days Later or Dawn of the Dead ('03) - not the fast-zombie bit, just sudden cascading failure.

DIAFplease

New phone, who dis?
Bold Member!
I don't have any idea where they are going but they are starting with the outbreak which we didn't see in the TWD. I know that it is completely different and will have no correlation with the other show.

DIAFplease

New phone, who dis?
Bold Member!
Welcome lurker!

I had a thought last night as I was watching TWD marathon.... again (don't judge me!) and the scene in "A" when Rick eviscerates the guy that was trying to hump on Carl would be the perfect gif to sum up our collective emotions here at DD when we read about these freaky perverts.

Also, I still get all sorts of feels when Hershel meets his grisly end. :(

A lot more in depth trailers for FTWD over the marathon and it really looks good. "When the world ends, it ends fast."

DIAFplease

New phone, who dis?
Bold Member!
And it was kinda slow. I understand they have to build the story and I am sure the entirety of the show will move at a fast pace from this point on but so far? I was hooked on TWD in 5 minutes flat. I was yawning and looking at the clock.

I did enjoy the day long marathon though? :shrug:

Valasca

Death, horror, torture
Discount Johnny Depp was pretty good. He's a whiny addict now, but I can see him becoming discount Darryll Dixon.

DIAFplease

New phone, who dis?
Bold Member!
Yeah, he's the only one I am kinda feeling. Sure, step dad, go back to the junkie hovel, alone, at night and investigate the cannibalism the doped out step son told you about. Genius. These people obvi have never known a junkie before because most people do not care this much about them, especially if it's been going on a long time. It is cool seeing the fresh zombies though.

DIAFplease

New phone, who dis?
Bold Member!
This weeks episode was much better. I got that panicky feeling. I already can tell I am going to hate the daughter. I liked that after mom offed the zombie that she was all drained and upset. These zombies will be a lot tougher to kill, less mushy and rotten and it's not that easy to bash a human skull in. I also like the rampant violence and looting because we all know that if some pandemic were to spread like this, that most of the killing/fire/damage would come from the perfectly healthy people in the beginning. It's got a very claustrophobic feeling. 2 weeks until the next episode though. :shifty:

ScarlettHarlot

I was only able to see the first two episodes last night, and while I agree that the first episode was a little slow as it set the tables, I thought they did a good job at characterisation. These feel more like fully fleshed out real people than the people did in early TWD.

I agree with Mac that I hope they can have fun with this without the constraints placed on them by a pre-existing series. I mean, remember how weak the female characters were in the first series of TWD? Even in the second series. The one character who was meant to be a badass was instead a simpering moron who thought she was a badass, but should have stuck to laundry duty. Terrible, terrible characters. In FTWD, they seemed determined to show that the mom was a three dimensional person, and not some feeble female. Or an out and out badass from the beginning.

I'm hopeful that they can take the things I love about TWD, and really run with making their own show and their own story, not based on comics Kirkman wrote in his twenties. I saw hints of what makes TWD great (like when the dealer, Cal was run over, then stood up on his broken leg) but with more realistic characters. I know the daughter is a bit of a brat right now, but I think she's still likable.

That said, I still love TWD, and can't wait for next week when we can have both series on!

Mata Hari

Dirty Gutter Bitch
I am starting to not like Travis. He's a real pussy if you ask me. Then again, it's not like he knows what we know. I really liked this last episode, except - put the fucking flashlights down people! I am interested in seeing how this all plays out with the Army and what not. Maybe LA did manage to keep a little town going, just like those people on the reg WD???

DIAFplease

New phone, who dis?
Bold Member!
You know, I wonder if they thought about that when they started the show? Every one of us are like - you stupid fucks, turn off the lights and shut the hell up!!! We're used to our warriors putting down walkers like bugs. We're used to them knowing exactly what to do and humans/hords being the danger. A single zombie? Sphht. Judith could handle that.

But I was surprised about the military showing up, I think I will be more interested in seeing the big city go down in the flames rather than a rag tag group end up in the desert. They better serve up some twists if they want to keep this audience entertained.

Fuck that junkie. If that we're my kid sitting there pouting because he didn't have enough oxy, I'd turn right around and say - if you hadn't noticed people are eating each other and I killed a man. The dog was just eaten by our neighbor and the lady that baby sat you is a walking corpse banging on the fence, how about you shut the fuck up and detox like you have a set of balls, you whiny bitch!"

Morbid

Big Daddy Yum Yum
Staff member
I get the complaints, but I am liking it so far. More than I have entire seasons of Walking Dead. I agree, the military is going to be interesting - especially since we haven't seen much of them at all in the WD timeline.

Mata Hari

Dirty Gutter Bitch
Fuck that junkie. If that we're my kid sitting there pouting because he didn't have enough oxy, I'd turn right around and say - if you hadn't noticed people are eating each other and I killed a man. The dog was just eaten by our neighbor and the lady that baby sat you is a walking corpse banging on the fence, how about you shut the fuck up and detox like you have a set of balls, you whiny bitch!"
OMG This. I cannot fucking stand his whiny ass.

Morbid

Big Daddy Yum Yum
Staff member
Folks were bending over backwards to help his whiny ass and he just keeps on whining!
Junkies aren't known for their appreciation and sacrifice. To me, he is acting no differently than most, if not all, of the people I have watched on Intervention. Selfish, unlikable, self-centered and a leech. I don't like his ass either, and I think that is entirely the point. It's a great start for a character if they plan on having any sort of actual character development throughout the series, especially if he becomes one people end up rooting for.

I'll take that over fucking Carl, or 90 percent of any of the Walking Dead characters. Totally interchangeable and would not be missed after a week of being gone. Aside from Carol and Rick, none have shown any character development whatsoever. Maggie? Glen? Daryl? Carl? Michonne? Abraham? Eugene? Rosita? Pffft. We know as much about them now as we did when we were introduced to them years ago.

ScarlettHarlot

I would argue that Michonne has a lot more depth to her character than the comic book character who first appeared at the end of season two. I like that she's far more deep than a sword swinging badass (who also happens to be a sword swinging badass). I've really loved the developing friendship between her and Carl, and the few moments of humour she has displayed. God knows she's the only one to show flashes of humour. Carl's transition from a kid who never listens to a burgeoning psychopath then to a fairly wise young man who isn't as hardened as his father I thought was handled fairly believably and with some grace. They haven't done nearly enough with the others though, you're right.

I agree that while Junkie Depp's whining is irritating, it's totally fitting for where his character is in terms of being an addict, and for his inevitable redemption arc. Maddison's determination not to give her daughter a heads up about the dangers annoys me more, and Alicia's sulky teen act as they tried to leave the house ("I had to pee", as she slumps out the house dressed to hang out at the beach) bugged me more. I kinda think that after being attacked by the dead neighbour and seeing another neighbour eating a dog in their living room, she would have dropped the bratty act. Also, when you know at the very least that people are being violent and dangerous, maybe don't spend six hours playing Monopoly? Gather some water in tubs maybe? Make Junkie Depp shower and change out of nasty old man clothes? Try to secure your house a little rather than leaving the door open while you go on a late night scramble carrying no weapons at all. Not even a big stick.

I love the walking dead, so I forgive them a lot. I'm willing to cut Fear a lot of slack because I know the characters don't know what we know. But the characters are making some really dumbass choices, and there are quite a lot of times where you know they're doing it to drive the plot forward. I'm kinda hate-watching it now. But that's enjoyable too.

Countess Olenska

Nice Asshole
Bold Member!
I realize they are clueless about what's happening, but DO SOMETHING! It's so funny how annoyed I get at them not going into full survival mode like I think I would.

Sigh. I'm hooked. Shuttup.

biteme

The Rev, Molon labe
living dead running wild and we have an antigun nut star of the show, WTF are the idiots going too come up with next

Morbid

Big Daddy Yum Yum
Staff member
Anti-gun and anti-hammer, cause "what right do you have to play god!?
Only because you have foreskin... er, foresight. All these people know is that people are getting sick. In the world of Walking Dead, zombies in popular culture do not exist, so they have nothing to draw from. To just accept dead people are walking around is as asinine to them as it would be to us. The guy was 100 percent correct in his thinking, even though it was infuriating to those of us who know what the neighbor actually is. He did not see the neighbor as dead, just sick and with the potential to be cured.

I find the real obstacle the show has, that Walking Dead does not, is the violence. The Walking Dead people say they are amazed at what they can get away with on their show but say the censors don't give two shits what they do to a zombie on screen - as long as they do not show live people dying for an hour. This show has an issue in which, for now, there are more live people than zombies. Interested to see how they handle that.

Staff online