• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Dakota

FORUM BITCH / Beloved Cunt
Bold Member!
The search continues Sunday morning for 13-year-old Dylan Redwine, who disappeared from his father's home in La Plata County last Monday.
[...]

Dylan had been staying with his father as part of a court-ordered Thanksgiving holiday visitation, according to a news release. The boy, his mother Eliane and his brother recently moved to Colorado Springs.

Mark Redwine told investigators that he left the home early Monday morning to run some errands. When he returned four hours later, he said Dylan was gone. He reported the child missing around 6 p.m after reportedly searching the area that afternoon.

A nearby resident who knows Dylan reportedly saw him walking with another young boy along La Plata County Road 501 in Vallecito Monday afternoon, but the resident didn't know Dylan was missing until Tuesday.

"We have to consider everything from foul play to a runaway," said La Plata Sheriff's spokesman Dan Bender said
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22063185/sunday-search-launched-missing-boy-laplata-county

Ryan Nava, 13, a friend of Dylan’s said in a phone interview Saturday that Dylan was originally going to Bayfield to visit his friends Sunday night but then changed that to meet them at 6:30 a.m. Monday.

Ryan said he and his friends expected Dylan’s father to drive him into town from Vallecito, but Dylan never arrived.

Mark Redwine showed up later asking where Dylan was but the three friends didn’t know.
[...]

The boys said Dylan wasn’t shy about hitching rides.

“Honestly, I think he was walking into Bayfield and got taken away,” he said.

Wesley agreed.

“I don’t think he’s one to run away,” he said.

At one time, all four friends attended Bayfield Middle School. Bender said in the news release that “Bayfield is where Dylan spent much of his time when he lived in the area until this past summer when he, his mother and his brother moved to Colorado Springs.”
http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20121124/NEWS01/121129756/0/s/Mystery-lingers-over-missing-teen

The mother of a 13-year-old boy, whom authorities have been searching for since he disappeared Monday around Vallecito, is convinced he didn’t vanish on his own volition.

“He didn’t go on his own,” Elaine Redwine said of her son, Dylan
[...]

“Dylan wouldn’t have left willingly,” Redwine said during an interview at the home of a friend Friday afternoon. “If there was any way to communicate he would have called.”
[...]

Dylan was picked up Sunday by his father at Durango-La Plata County Airport, his mother said Friday. Dylan announced his arrival in a text message and ended it with the emoticon that is interpreted as a scowl, she said.

She declined to talk about her former spouse except to say he rarely exercised his visitation rights.

The last time Dylan visited Vallecito from Colorado Springs, where she moved this summer, was on Labor Day weekend, Redwine said.
[...]

Elaine Redwine won’t hear of Dylan being a runaway and discounts reported sightings of the boy Monday and Tuesday afternoons.

A Vallecito resident who knows Dylan reported seeing him walking with another boy of about the same age on Monday. Each boy had a backpack.

Redwine believes her son’s disappearance was involuntary. “Someone knows where he is,” she said.

The last time anyone she knows talked to Dylan was Sunday night, Redwine said. Dylan and a friend from Bayfield were to meet early Monday, she said.

Dylan didn’t like the remoteness of Vallecito, his mother said. He was oriented to Bayfield, where he had gone to school until this fall and where he had friends, she said.

“Dylan is a generational kid and tech savvy,” Redwine said. “He wouldn’t have gone off to the mountains to pitch a tent or build a fire.”

But his absence is a heart-rending mystery, Redwine said.
[...]
http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20121123/NEWS01/121129810/‘He-would-have-called’

Last edited:
It's POSSIBLE he could have gone off by himself, just not likely.
So far I'm saying Dad is innocent of any wrongdoing.

I'm pretty sure Dylan ddn't want to be there, away from family he thought cared a great deal more for him than an absent, distant father. And really why would you go off on "errands" for 4 hours when you only just got your kid off an airplane, I'm not saying Dad had anything to do with this, only that I think Dylan had good reason to feel like he want to be there.

I'm pretty sure Dylan ddn't want to be there, away from family he thought cared a great deal more for him than an absent, distant father. And really why would you go off on "errands" for 4 hours when you only just got your kid off an airplane, I'm not saying Dad had anything to do with this, only that I think Dylan had good reason to feel like he want to be there.

Until the last year, I would have agreed with you. Now, however, I'm not so sure, but wouldn't disagree too quickly either. My daughter turned 14 over the summer, and I swear I have a pod creature from outer space instead of my darling. She's a great kid, and if anything ever happened, I'd quickly be able to discount running away as well, but honestly *I* may be the one making the news as the runaway one day. If Dylan is going through any kind of phase like my pod-creature, I can totally see just going on to do my errands. I know it sounds horrible, but I feel sometimes like a parent of a baby, and when those stresses get to you, the ONLY thing to do is just make sure the child is safe in the midst of their tantrum and walk away. I never, ever could imagine abusing her as a baby, and not now either, but I've never really literally felt like ripping my own hair out until the last while.

So Dylan is already pissed at the move he had to make from his friends, and even though it SEEMS like he'd be happy as a lark to have this visitation with his dad (and at this age, honestly it's probably his friends who were the top of his list to see), my newly minted Parents' Almanac would suggest that the storms are not confined to the logical area of unhappiness and I'd bet that he also was pretty pissed while at his dad's. If dad was indeed distant, or even appeared to be distant, then Dylan could be falling back on anger and giving everyone a hard time. The kid is hurting in genuine ways with probable confusion and wishing things were back to "normal," but he's got a teen mentality and bursting with those terrible new hormones any moment. Thus, you have a kid not only pissed at the logical and obvious areas, but ready to just be a big prick in order to avoid pain. If Dad is a decent dad and dealing with his own feelings of loss and wishes for other endings, then I can see the 4-hour errand run. At the age of 13, most of us would not really be overly concerned, especially if thinking he was going to be meeting friends anyway.

As usual, I talk-type too much, but this is hitting me close to home as I'm dealing with the whole body-snatched kid and something that happened this weekend with her that really breaks my heart with this one. I hope that dad had nothing to do with it, and that Dylan is found safe somewhere, somehow, because if my over-emotionally imagined story happened, there will be an amount of heartache and guilt beyond all hell if anything irreversible happens.

It doesn't sound like a runaway IMO--again, that's just by imagining my own kid, though. I can see her being a brat, being a total and oblivious heartbreaker to me, but she would not run away because she's ultimately smart enough to see the danger in the overt action. She WOULD, however, maybe take a ride with someone if she had any other parent than me, and had not had the long boring lectures over and over about the dangers of even taking rides with people she knows before she gets in touch with me or her stepdad. But I hope he has run away and will be back without scars but with a lot of apology and will never do anything so stupid again. Please let that be it. :(

I do agree with you [MENTION=975]ScribbleMuse[/MENTION], I had a couple of them, teenagers, but boys, and don't let anybody tell you that boys are not hormonal, cause they are! Anyway, I can see Dylan being a brat and not wanting to leave home and go to see a dad he hasn't seen much lately and just acting out and thinking something along the lines of, "I'll show him, I'll go anywhere I want to." Not intending to run away but not intending to come back easily either. This is still a child in emotional pain, whether he ran away or was snatched, I really hope he shows up. My nephew is named Dylan and he just turned 15, and he is hormonal right at the moment too, my sster has horror stories! LOL

That is a very insightful and sensitive post and I hope that is all it is. A pissed/hurt teenager boy who is showing his folks he's a man. My boy is only six but a very complicated little soul. I just can't wait till I wake up with a pod creature. I pray this kid is holed up somewhere, anywhere. Maybe he got drunk for the first time and passed out somewhere weird. Anything but the worst.

Mother Suspects Ex-Husband in Son's Disappearance
The mother of 13-year-old boy Dylan Redwine, who disappeared a week ago during a court ordered visit to his father, fears that the dad may have done something to "remove Dylan from the situation."
[...]

"I was married to Mark for a lot of years, and I know the way he reacts to things," Elaine Redwine told ABC News. "If Dylan maybe did or said something that wasn't what Mark wanted to hear, I'm just afraid of how Mark would have reacted."
[...]

Elaine Redwine told ABC News she believes her ex-husband was upset that she was the court-mandated primary custodian of their son.

"I don't think Mark treats him very well," Elaine Redwine said. "I would not put it past Mark to have done something to remove Dylan from the situation. You know, like 'if I can't have him, nobody will.'"

Dylan had been with his dad in Vallecito, Colo., for just one day before he went missing. Mark Redwine told police that his son was in his home when he left to run some errands at 7:30 a.m. When he returned four hours later, the boy was missing.

Elaine Redwine told ABC News she was having a difficult time getting in touch with her ex-husband about their son.

"He hasn't had any contact with us. [My older son] tried to get a hold of him by texting him, and he wouldn't respond," she said. "I just find it odd that at a time like this, he would be so evasive."

Mark Redwine declined to speak to ABC News.
[...]

Dylan's mother and older brother both insist Dylan wouldn't run away without contacting them, or if he did run away from his dad's home, he would have gone to them.

"When he was afraid in any situation, he knew he could call me and I would drop everything and go out there, first thing," Dylan's brother, Cory Redwine, 21, told ABC News. "He knew that me, my mom, my step-dad, any of us, if he called us and said, 'I need your help,' he knew we'd be there."
[...]

Elaine Redwine told ABC News she thinks somebody must know something, and she hopes they come forward.

"Vallecito is a small community. If anybody has seen anything or knows anything, no matter how big or small it seems, please tell us," Redwine said. "Everything right now is crucial to bringing my little boy home."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-bo...-disappearance/story?id=17813458#.ULPwUYawX78

If her ex is that vindictive why hasn't he been exercising his rights to the boy? It really seems plausible that the kid took off to go to a friends and met up with foul play along the way.

If her ex is that vindictive why hasn't he been exercising his rights to the boy? It really seems plausible that the kid took off to go to a friends and met up with foul play along the way.

Then again, if up until now he......

rarely exercised his visitation rights

... why did he suddenly decide to do so now? And then bugger off and leave the boy alone for four hours? :stupido3:

I don't find it weird that he did the errands himself and left the boy. He left at 7:30 am. Have you ever tried to get a teenager out of bed at that hour to do anything?

Investigators have determined that Dylan Redwine, a 13-year-old who disappeared from his father's home in the Vallecito area 10 days ago, didn't run away, according to the La Plata County Sheriff's Office.

Authorities are asking for anyone who filmed vehicles traveling on main routes between Durango and Vallecito Lake between 6 p.m. Nov. 18 and 12 p.m. Nov. 19 to provide copies of the video to a task force investigating the disappearance. Arrangements to turn over a copy can be made by calling (970)385-2900.

A tip line has been set up for the search at (970)382-7511.
[...]

On Tuesday a community vigil was held in Eagle Park in Bayfield, the Durango Herald reported.

The event marked the first public appearance by Dylan's father, Mark Redwine, who was the last to see his son. Like many who spoke, he referred to Dylan in both the present tense and the past tense.

"That boy was my whole world," he told the crowd. "I would do anything to find him. You don't know how much I love that boy."

Elaine Redwine, made comments to ABC News Radio on Monday saying she's afraid her ex-husband might have had something to do with their son's disappearance. Mark Redwine, who said he arrived late because he didn't know about the vigil, obliquely responded to those comments during his speech.

"Unfortunately, his mother and I don't see eye to eye," he said. "I wish it could be different, because at a time like this, we should be together."

Divers spent Monday searching beneath the waters of Vallecito Lake for the boy after two dogs alerted handlers to a scent that broke through the surface.

Dogs are now helping with ground searches.
[...]

Investigators are still operating on the assumption that the boy is alive, said La Plat Sheriff's spokesman Dan Bender. "Investigators are no longer looking at the possibility of Dylan being a run-away," he said in the release, "but we still view this as a search and not a recovery effort."
http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_22083134

I don't think it's abnormal to speak about a missing child in the past tense. People always jump to conclusions when a parent does that but I think it's a normal reaction. Your child is gone, lost somewhere, and I think subconsciously our minds assume the worst.

he La Plata County Sheriff’s Office served a search warrant Thursday morning at the home of Mark Redwine, the father of 13-year-old Dylan Redwine who disappeared Nov. 19. while visiting his father on Thanksgiving break.

“We are not calling Mark Redwine a suspect,â€￾ Sheriff’s spokesman Dan Bender said. “It was only prudent to search because this was the last place Dylan was seen.â€￾

Colorado Bureau of Investigations and the FBI had tents and a trailer set up outside the house Thursday morning. Investigators wearing white scrub-like uniforms made trips in and out of the house and a travel trailer this morning.
[...]

“The investigation of Dylan’s disappearance is ongoing,â€￾ Bender said. “We won’t be revealing any list of what we find until the it’s over.â€￾

About 15 investigators and analysts are involved in the search, Bender said.

Investigators towed Mark Redwine’s two pickups from his property to an undisclosed location for further searching.

Bender said Mark Redwine allowed investigators to look through his house on County Road 500 on other occasions.

“But the meticulous nature of the search today required a search warrant,â€￾ Bender said.

Bender said he doesn’t know the wording in the warrant or why it wasn’t executed earlier.
[...]
http://durangoherald.com/article/20...ors-searching-house-of-Dylan-Redwine’s-father

"That boy was my whole world," he told the crowd. "I would do anything to find him. You don't know how much I love that boy."

Is he trying to convince the public or himself?

Nothing said about whether Mark Redwine was living alone? Any family in the area? Anybody that he would be expected to share Dylan with during his visit? (I mean, just friends, it seems but no extended family?)

Seems to me there'd be friction over the planned events of the day. Dad ran some errands and did not mention even trying to get Dylan to get up and come along, although it may have happened that way. Dylan's friend said he was going to meet up with Dylan that morning. So, was Dylan expecting a ride from Mark that Mark skipped out on or forgot? Did Mark even know?

When Mark returned home at noon, at what point did he notice Dylan missing and when did he become concerned enough to start looking?

On the face of it, it seems that Dylan probably left the home to go meet his friend, hooked up with one, and then hitchhiked to some third location. The kid he hooked up with is apparently in the wind, too . . .

Last edited:
I'm on the fence here ..
I don't know what to think yet ..

I hope he's safe but, fear hear he's not .. :(
I'm in the same boat. At this point I doubt he's safe. I'm just on the fence about what happened to him. The mother is in hell. The father is in hell if he had no part in it and is going to hell if he did.

I'm mostly on the bench on this one but leaning towards the father being involved only that it seems to work out that way most the time with the last person who saw the missing child.

“We are not calling Mark Redwine a suspect,” Sheriff's spokesman Dan Bender said. “It was only prudent to search because this was the last place Dylan was seen.”Colorado Bureau of Investigations and the FBI had tents and a trailer set up outside the house Thursday morning. Investigators wearing white scrub-like uniforms made trips in and out of the house and a travel trailer this morning.

Dylan texted his mother, Elaine Redwine, when he arrived at Durango-La Plata County Airport on Nov. 18. The boy immediately contacted friends in Bayfield where he attended school until this summer when his mother, who divorced Mark Redwine in 2007, moved to Colorado Springs.

Dylan's visit was the result of a court order by 6th Judicial District Judge David Dickinson.

In an interview with ABC News Radio late Monday, Elaine Redwine said her former husband may have had something to do with Dylan's disappearance.

“I was married to Mark for a lot of years, and I know how he reacts to things,” she said. “If Dylan did or said something that wasn't what Mark wanted to hear, I'm just afraid Mark would have reacted.”

Elaine Redwine said her former husband was upset that she had received primary custody of Dylan.

“The investigation of Dylan's disappearance is ongoing,” Bender said. “We won't be revealing any list of what we find until it's over.”

About 15 investigators and analysts are involved in the search, Bender said.

Investigators towed Mark Redwine's two pickups from his property to an undisclosed location for further searching.

Bender said Mark Redwine allowed investigators to look through his house on County Road 500 on other occasions.

“But the meticulous nature of the search today required a search warrant,” Bender said.
...more

“There’s a combination of factors,” Bender said. “There’s been the passage of time without any sightings; Dylan was not a visitor but had friends here; he has a history of staying in contact with his family and friends; and there’s been nothing on his cellphone record since he was reported missing.”
more/pic of father.

I think he was taken or taken care of. Who. we will see.
Be found safe Dylan.

My ex was extremely vindictive and he sporadically exercised his rights. That was all part of his game and the control and unfortunately my kids were the pawns. This is a really fucked up thing to say but if it hadn't been for his badge I know he would have done something like this just to hurt me.

Last edited:
On the face of it, it seems that Dylan probably left the home to go meet his friend, hooked up with one, and then hitchhiked to some third location. The kid he hooked up with is apparently in the wind, too . . .

This is what gets me, and maybe I've just overlooked it, but what happened with the friend he was supposed to meet at 6:30 that morning? Where is that friend and did they ever meet up? As a parent, I would be freaked the minute I realized I couldn't get ahold of my kid and that they were missing. As a crisis counselor, I can say I would not really go around the bend and start worrying until about the 24 hour mark with no contact based on the shared facts of this particular case. A runaway is usually located within hours of disappearing if they're just with friends, even if they won't tell you where they are or who they're with. Under the circumstances, I thought he might be a non-typical runaway and was flexing his muscle at both parents because he was angry with being yanked around and having no control over his life so I thought it might take a few more days for him to come around. This is so sad that it's been this long with no word or sign. I hope mom is wrong about her ex doing something to Dylan but I have a feeling mother's intuition may be spot on in this case.

Last edited:
This is what gets me, and maybe I've just overlooked it, but what happened with the friend he was supposed to meet at 6:30 that morning? Where is that friend and did they ever meet up?
The friends say he never showed up.

I can't help but wonder what in the heck was a bunch of 13 year old boys gonna be doing at 6:30 am except get in trouble? And if he were meeting them at 6:30 then he would have had to leave home even earlier, and Dad didn't leave for "errands" (I still don't believe 4 hours for errands) until 7, then there is a discrepancy, isn't there, didn't dad say he was still at the house when he left? I just think dad is hinky, maybe not murderer hinky but strange nonetheless.

That boy looks exactly like my 14 year old. I also have to share my kids w/ ex husband. My nightmares begin the first night but slowly fade as the summer goes on. It's been too long now. Someone would have found him. This is a very sad story :frustrating:

Yeah, with additional info, dad is ringing some bells for me. I haven't really dug too deeply into the stories but it's a little confusing as to who WANTED what and when with the visitation.
* Dad "sporadically" exercises rights.
* Dylan upset at NOT living with dad and apparently was excited to be going back to the area--I still say that it's just as likely that he's angry about the whole situation and therefore i would not expect a consistent mood history for him. If he was mad at the whole thing, likely he would have vocally expressed anger with mom and later with dad after getting what he appeared to have wanted, so his feelings leading up may not be as reliable.
* Mom felt wary enough of dad to immediately call him out, which at one point seems reasonably suspicious, but then makes you wonder why the hell was the issue ever brought up to make him appear to be a "bad" dad for his absences?

I'm always wondering why in the flying fuck any parent pushes visitation on another when it doesn't seem they want it. Even if there is no monetary issue involved, and the parent thinks that the kid will be hurt by the absence, why the fuck would it seem that the kid is better to be FORCED upon a parent who had to be wrestled into appearance? Now it seems that the issues were not that he was absent or irresponsible, but rather that he actually wanted MORE visitation? I may be falling victim to an overeager press who reported assumptions or even my own mistakes in reading, but I'm just confused and need to take the time to really study the statements that mom has definitely said in order to frame my mind around what the dad's history is through the divorce.

Also, I thought that Dylan had bros and/or sisters? So he was the only child by this particular father and therefore the only one who had this visitation apparently forced upon him? At first it appeared that perhaps he had really wanted this visit in order to at least see his friends again but now if he was the only child of this particular marriage and was forced into it, could be a different story.

I still don't see much problem with the time in errands. My hubby and kiddo will love to tell you all about how I can just "waste" so many hours doing such annoyingly purposeless errands... lol Also, living in a rural area I'm used to a travel time of at least an hour to throw into any real errand for back-and-forth from house to town, not throwing in the time of actually stopping and browsing the areas he was supposed to be in. So, with lack of other strange/suspicious info, that's not something that jumps out at me, especially if Dylan was in fact using that special super-human teen angst that I'm now finding exists.

HOWEVER... it's also a sad fact that in most situations with foul play, the ill deed is done by someone very close to the victim. I'd say it's even more likely at an older age like Dylan--a itty bitty child may disappear without any sort of knowledge outside the home, but an older child being picked up and taken by a stranger in public is much more dangerous to the average perp.

the whole statement of the hitchhiking is worrisome, as well. That opens up a whole lot more possibilities and it's disturbing to think that a child would have a history of this so commonly to be noted immediately or widely known. How the fuck does that even happen at all? And it must have been from when he lived there before, with the family unit intact since this was stated as a common action and he'd just come back to the area. So how long has the kid been hitchhiking around town??

i can give y'all a little insight as to how this all works. my bio-dad didn't give a fuck..they divorced when i was 3. still had court ordered visitation with him until i was 12. i didn't want to be there and he didn't give a shit (he had started a new family)..so for 3 weeks out of every summer i had to go 3 states away to hang out with his wife and kids (he was always working)..so, granted, this was in the late 80's early 90's, but really; if at the time, and i knew the lay of the land better, i would have taken' off and done my own thing as well. and let me tell you...my mom MADE me go because she never wanted me to think she was keeping me away from him or vice versa, and really, he just did it??? i guess because he had to pay regardless? idk..maybe he thought it was the 'right' thing to do...i have no clue.
maybe he (dylan) had every thought of 'fuck this shit, i'm out' took off, but it didn't work....i don't know. we see a lot of sick shit on here, but i really don't know about this one.

Last edited:
Also, I thought that Dylan had bros and/or sisters?
He has at least one older brother that is an adult and not subject to court ordered visitation. News articles have mentioned the brother as spending time with both parents during the search for Dylan.

Investigators concluded their search of the home of Mark Redwine, father of 13-year-old Dylan Redwine, Thursday night after serving a search warrant in the morning.

Mark Redwine also agreed to give an official interview to the task force for the case – made up of agents from the La Plata County Sheriff’s Office, Durango Police Department, Bayfield Marshal’s Office, FBI and Colorado Bureau of Investigation – after investigators asked if he would be willing to do an in-depth interview, said Lt. Ray Shupe, spokesman for the task force.

Redwine has given several cursory interviews in the past, but this was the first in-depth interview he has given, Shupe said.

No attorney was present for the interview, and Shupe said Redwine has not retained an attorney.

Redwine has been cooperating with authorities and has not been named a suspect or person of interest, Shupe said.

Authorities say they will not release any information about the interview or what was, or was not, taken from the residence.
[...]

Law-enforcement officials have ruled out that Dylan ran away from home.

He was last seen Nov. 19. Authorities also have ruled out the possibility that the teenager wandered into the wilderness and got lost around Vallecito Reservoir.

“Task force members are looking at this investigation as a criminal investigation,â€￾ Shupe said in a news release.
[...]

Mark Redwine told investigators that he left the house to do errands at 7:30 a.m. but found Dylan gone when he returned at 11:30 a.m.

He told The Durango Herald on Wednesday he had gone to Durango to meet with his divorce lawyer.
http://durangoherald.com/article/20121130/NEWS01/121139996/-1/s

This passage from [MENTION=489]Silvahalo[/MENTION]'s articles answered a couple of my questions:

He said he will continue to stay in his house, saying he thought that was what would be best for Dylan. Mark Redwine’s brother also is staying with him.

Mark Redwine said Dylan had made tentative plans to meet friends at 6:30 a.m. Monday morning, but “nothing was etched in stone.â€￾ Bender said Dylan didn’t contact the friends then.

Mark Redwine said he had questioned why the 13-year-old would want to wake up that early in the morning.

Ryan Nava, 13, a friend of Dylan’s said in an interview Saturday with The Durango Herald that Dylan originally was going to Bayfield to visit his friends Sunday night but then changed that to meet them early Monday morning.

Mark Redwine said he was going to give Dylan a ride to his friends’ house and tried to wake him up when he left Monday morning but said Dylan was “out like a light.â€￾

The father said he had to go to Durango that morning to run errands and speak to his divorce lawyer.
http://durangoherald.com/article/20...2/Dylan-Redwine-did-not-run-away-police-say--

Now, that answers the question about whether Mark tried to give him a ride, tried to wake him, etc. Doesn't get to whether Dylan was with one of his friends when he was last sighted. Seems like his father would know who his friends were, though, and the FBI/local police would certainly have questioned anyone who was a known friend.

One scenario that comes to mind is the predator/protege gambit, where a predator has a young person/victim that is sent out to lure in a new victim. If Dylan met up with a young person his age, who then suggested he could get a ride to Bayfield so they could all meet up and waste time together . . . seems to me a kid who likes to hitchhike would have no problem with that idea. So, then the question is whether other children have disappeared in the area lately.

With Dylan Redwine missing for almost two weeks, dad clings to hope
Dylan wouldn't have run away: He was too happy, his father said, in spite of the fact that his parents had been locked in a rough divorce battle for about seven years. It's unlikely he was abducted from this home in a tiny community where everyone knows everyone else in the offseason and few lock doors.

That leaves hitchhiking.

Mark said he learned from some of Dylan's friends in the wake of the disappearance that his son had been known to hitchhike.

So he ponders the what-ifs and details that might have led to Dylan's hitchhiking.

His son, who had flown in the evening before his disappearance to spend Thanksgiving with his father, badly wanted to go see friends who lived in Bayfield. Dylan had lived near there with his mother, Elaine Redwine, until July, when they moved to the Front Range.

Dylan had asked his father whether he could go to his friends' that evening after they had shopped at Walmart and eaten at a McDonald's in Durango and before the 45-minute drive to Mark's home north of Vallecito Lake. Mark said he told his son it was too late. So Dylan texted friends in Bayfield, his father said, and made arrangements to meet them the next morning.

The next morning, Dylan was sleeping on the couch where Mark Redwine now sits and where Dylan's blankets still lie jumbled. Mark said he waited until 7:30 a.m. but still couldn't rouse his son, so he told him he would return about 11. When he got back at 11:30, his son's dirty cereal bowl was beside the sink. The television was on Nickelodeon. His son's fishing pole was gone. So was his black-and-gray backpack. A few articles of clothing were left behind on the couch.

"His priority was pretty much with his friends, so I wasn't alarmed," Mark said.

In hindsight, Mark wonders whether Dylan became impatient and hitchhiked. "I can't quite wrap my mind around that yet," he said.

Mark said he tried texting Dylan all afternoon in an area with spotty cellphone service. When he didn't hear anything back by late afternoon, he went to Dylan's friend's house in Vallecito. That friend hadn't seen him.

Mark became alarmed and drove the 20 miles to Bayfield. Dylan's friends there hadn't seen him either. Mark called Elaine Redwine and went to the Bayfield Marshal's Office.
[...]

Lt. Ray Shupe, a spokesman for the task force, said the group has broken into teams this weekend. One is looking into all information that has come into a tip line; another is investigating the registered sex offenders who live in the Vallecito area. There are nine of them in Vallecito and Bayfield. Another team is combing through videos and photographs taken along the road from Vallecito to Durango on the day Dylan went missing.

One of the possibilities they are pursuing is the possibility that Dylan might have been picked up while hitchhiking, Shupe said.

Mark Redwine is not being called a suspect. He allowed investigators to search his home even before they obtained a search warrant for a thorough search. He also voluntarily sat down and was interviewed by investigators.

"We went through everything moment by moment," he said.
[...]

In his home, still jumbled from a 12-hour search by investigators several days ago, Mark is having a harder time holding on to that hope.

"Reality starting to set in"

And he is trying to deal with the added weight of knowing that some people think he had something to do with his son's disappearance because he was the last one to see him. He has contacted a criminal-defense attorney to help him with that. And he said he is helping in the search in any way he can.

"I just want my son back," he said. "I know it's crossing all our minds — reality is starting to set in that that may not be a possibility."
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22108222/dad-its-wait-wonder

Back