• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Male tiger Asim was brought to the zoo from a safari park in Denmark 10 days ago in attempts to be "the perfect mate" for long-term resident Melati.
_105571375_052002204.jpg

After spending time apart in the tiger enclosure to get used to the new surroundings - the two were introduced to each other earlier.

But tensions "quickly escalated", became "more aggressive" and Melati died in a fight, the zoo said.

A statement issued by the zoo said Asim was immediately moved to a separate paddock and despite the best efforts of the vets, 10-year-old Melati died.

It added: "Our focus right now is on caring for Asim, as we get through this difficult event."
[....]
The zoo's previous male, Jae Jae - which had fathered five cubs previously with Melati - was moved to French zoo Le Parc des Félins, on 30 January.

In 2013, Melati gave birth to two cubs - but one died after falling into a pool and drowning at the zoo.

Melati then gave birth to three more tiger cubs in February 2014.

The entire birth was monitored using hidden cameras.

The Sumatran tiger, which naturally lives in the forests and jungles of Sumatra, Indonesia, is now classified as critically endangered on the International Union for Conservation of Nature Red List of Threatened Animals.

According to London Zoo, the Sumatran tiger faces threats of poaching and habitat loss.

When in captivity, they can live for about 20 years.
[....]

Post automatically merged:

Sorry, media tags keep getting added to the url when I hit submit even if I type in the url instead of pasting it. Guess you'll have to message me if you want the link. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Damn, this could be easily avoided by mildly sedating the male (IOW, not putting him fully under, but very drowsy) taking his semen like they do with bulls and race horses here in the US, and then mildly sedating the female and inseminating her artificially.
They have a "milking device" used to make/help the males ejaculate, and it catches and it completely contains the semen in a sterile container, the semen can then be transferred if wanted to a sterile freezable flask and flash frozen in liquid Nitrogen for multiple later inseminations.

As rare in the wild, and as dangerous these animals can potentially be to each other, I'm frankly surprised that this is not become a practice in many Zoo's breeding attempts when there isn't an already bonded pair of male and female great cats existing at the facilities.

Last edited:
Back