• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Ok here goes....10 year old had sliders with cheese and mayo....9 year old had mac and cheese, 7 year old had waffles....husband had loaded nachos and 21 year old had a keto burger with steamed veggies. Currently cooking Italian sausages for the 22 year old to have when she gets home from work.....these assholes need to get on the same page and all eat one thing :arghh:

Ok here goes....10 year old had sliders with cheese and mayo....9 year old had mac and cheese, 7 year old had waffles....husband had loaded nachos and 21 year old had a keto burger with steamed veggies. Currently cooking Italian sausages for the 22 year old to have when she gets home from work.....these assholes need to get on the same page and all eat one thing :arghh:
Sounds like you run an ala carte restaurant. Everyone gets to choose their meal?

Sounds like you run an ala carte restaurant. Everyone gets to choose their meal?

The 2 oldest are on keto, so they have to eat foods that follow the plan....hubby is easy and will eat whatever I make. The 3 youngest all have different likes/dislikes, and tonight just seemed like nobody likes the same thing. Tomorrow, they will all get the same meal and they will darn well eat it and like it :D

Taco Pie
full

1 lb extra-lean ground beef
1 T chili owder
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen corn, thawed, drained
1 C Mexican Style Finely Shredded Four Cheese, divided
1 onion, chopped
1 can (14-1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
6 whole wheet tortillas (6 inch)
1/4 C sour cream

Heat oven to 375ºF.

Brown meat with onions and chili powder in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and corn; cook 5 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally.

Spoon 1 cup meat mixture into 2-qt. round casserole; cover with 3 tortillas, overlapping if necessary to fit in dish. Top with 2 cups of the remaining meat mixture and 1/2 cup cheese. Cover with remaining tortillas and remaining meat mixture; cover.

Bake 25 to 30 min. or until heated through. Top with remaining cheese; bake, uncovered, 5 min. or until melted. Cut into wedges. Serve topped with sour cream.

Modifications I made:
1/2 can (14-1/2 oz) corn instead of frozen.
1/2 can (14-1/2 oz) pinto beans added
Served the sour cream on the plates instead of on top of the "pie". I didn't have a round casserole, so I used a covered skillet that was a little too big. Instead of pie, I ended up with a very delicious "pile" which we cut into wedges. Since I only used 1/2 can of corn and beans, I'm pretty much ready to make it again over the weekend, because there was not a bite left after dinner last night.

This was really quite good and I was pleased with my addition of beans. I think what makes the difference in this one is whole wheat tortillas. In fact, I liked them so much that's all I want to use now.

@Satanica that looks delicious!

Today for lunch I am eating last night's leftovers.

I made homemade pork fried rice. I have tried to make fried rice before, without much success. It worked out much better this time, I think because the recipe has you cook a lot of the ingredients separately so they brown properly, then combine everything at the end.

https://selfproclaimedfoodie.com/pork-fried-rice/
I don't understand how those hibachi cooks do it right there in front of you. I've never had any luck recreating that. I'll have to try the method you provided.

The 2 oldest are on keto, so they have to eat foods that follow the plan....hubby is easy and will eat whatever I make. The 3 youngest all have different likes/dislikes, and tonight just seemed like nobody likes the same thing. Tomorrow, they will all get the same meal and they will darn well eat it and like it :D
You are running a restaurant. They aren't starving by being fussy.
I hope all your fussy eaters are fixing meals FOR YOU at least once a week if it means so much to them. They are taking advantage, but you are willing so enjoy.

Last edited:
Over in the Florida Frozen Biscuit Flinging Thread, we discussed the superior qualities of lard in baking.
Here are recipes for Bizcochitos, New Mexico's "state cookie". Perfect with tea on a cold day.
These have slight variations, but you get the idea.

Over in the Florida Frozen Biscuit Flinging Thread, we discussed the superior qualities of lard in baking.
Here are recipes for Bizcochitos, New Mexico's "state cookie". Perfect with tea on a cold day.
These have slight variations, but you get the idea.
I think I've had these a couple of times at work.
Yummy.

You know the classic toffee graham cracker bars...
8 sheets graham crackers
8 ounces salted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
lay crackers in 9x13 pan. bring sugar and butter to a rolling boil, toss in nuts. pour over graham crackers, bake 8-10 mins at 350
Pull out pan, sprinkle with chocolate chips as desired (thick or thin), when melted, spread around the pan. Cool.

Well... I had no nuts and no chocolate, so added 1.5 cups shredded coconut to the hot syrup and spread with white chocolate chips after baking. Delicious.

Salads I have made recently.

Czechoslovakian potato salad
about half the mixture is potatoes, the other half is steamed carrots, parsnips, celery root.
Also minced onion, gherkins and hard boiled eggs. Capers are also good.
Dressing is mayonnaise, mustard, pickle juice, and a splash of sunflower oil, salt and pepper.

Apple and celery root salad.
slice equal amounts of celery root and fresh apples into matchsticks.
toss in golden raisins or dried cranberries
dressing = mayonnaise and a dash of apple cider vinegar if the apples are bland.
sprinkling of salt and sugar to taste.
Refrigerate for a couple hours, sprinkle a few pecans or walnuts when served.

Sort of Asian Cole Slaw:
finely sliced cabbage, carrots, onion, celery
dressing: minced garlic and ginger, soy sauce, saki, sugar, sunflower oil and/or sesame oil, Korean red pepper flakes optional.. Let the dressing macerate for an hour then pour over veggies, straining out the solids.
Virgin Sunflower oil goes extremely well with cabbage and carrots. I love the sunflower taste.

Last edited:
YUM!! I also added a bit of finely sliced shallot.

1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
2 medium oranges, peeled
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons sweetened dried cranberries

Directions
  1. Place the sliced fennel in a salad bowl. Slice oranges to divide flesh sections and add to bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper. Toss, top with sweetened cranberries and serve.

Bf made New York strips tonight that were to die for. Cast iron pan, basted with butter and garlic, just the right amount of seasoning... Perfection!

I'm not even a huge steak eater, but mmmm... this was exactly what I didn't even know I wanted tonight.

Served with broccoli and also greens (because he's on keto and limiting carbs).

Back