• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I'm an unapologetic geeky person. I love watching my Star Wars movies (in fact, in 1978 when I was 14 I took my bicycle to the nearby drive-in to watch the original), I grew up reading Edgar Rice Burroughs and Issac Asimov novels and I loved playing the original AD&D, and I still love all those things. Though, I wasn't a big fan of the "Lord of Rings" books, the movies really were amazing to me. Recently I started baking and wondered if there wasn't a recipe for Elvish Lembac Way Bread, After much searching and finding a bunch of silly recipes, mostly they were just butter cookies, I discovered a recipe a Tolkien researcher found in the private Tolkien library back in the 1970s, a recipe that Tolkien himself made for Elvish Lambic Way Bread.
Screenshot_20180320-173211_zpswfb5b4jm.png

Though they don't have Elven magical properties that allows "a small bite to sustain a grown man a whole day", they are still quite tasty. If you are interested in the recipe, here's the link. http://www.pabular.com/recipe/79012/lembas-elvish-waybread
Mary me.

@everjaded. I made lamb meatballs with the berbere seasoning. Yum. Added to a vegetable soup.

Ooh! I had a lot of red peppers this week so made red pepper and tomato soup. I seasoned with berbere and stirred in a spoonful of cream. it smoothes the heat and acidity. Server with french bread toast. You can't go wrong with berbere.

Last edited:
I imagine I'll be heating some corned beef hash on the griddle then topping it with a couple of eggs for breakfast.

--Al

Saturday evening, my d-i-l and I went to a memorial service for our neighbor who passed away and then went to Saltgrass Steak House. I hadn't been out to a restaurant, really, in years and it was the best food I've had in many a moon. We both got ribeye steak with grilled shrimp, fries, and salad. Everything was so perfect and delicious, and the service was outstanding.

https://www.saltgrass.com/

I intended to make a standard leek, potato, garlic soup. I used two large cloves of homegrown garlic. I usually use two cloves of super market garlic, which add just a touch of garlic flavor
WELL! That garlic was powerful. The whole house smelled like garlic. It was garlic soup. Fantastic with french bread toast.
I will plant a few cloves of that garlic this fall. Whatever variety it is, it has huge pungent cloves. :)

I'm using more of that powerful garlic to make chicken garbanzo onion curry.. Over basmati rice. I put the crockpot outside so the house doesn't smell like curry and garlic.
I'm not sharing so making it as hot spicy and gingery garlicky as I like.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015178-marcella-hazans-tomato-sauce

Marcella Hazan is the Julia Child of Italian cookery.
I don't like pasta or lasagna with a lot of tomatoey herby meaty sauce. People say my meat sauce and lasagna is great. Go figure, I don't like my own stuff, I made it for others.
But I saw this extremely simple sauce and thought, that's what I need to please my palate - less is more. I can't get enough of this sauce. The only difference is I chop the onion and do not discard it. I love onions. I make it in my crockpot.
Sometimes at the end I throw in a bouquet garni of some fresh herbs. Just steep some fresh herbs, then STOP. It's the butter that makes it a velvety food of the Gods. It's marvelous just with plain pasta.
I like pasta with fresh sauteed garlic,, so I'll drain the pasta and quickly saute some olive oil and chopped garlic for a minute then throw the pasta back in the pot, stir with a handful of parsley or fennel and parmesan.. Then stir in this divinely simple sauce. If you wish, play with the other food, but keep the sauce very simple.
I don't have an oven right now, but when I do, I'm going to try lasagna or some stuffed pasta with this sauce.

We all take turns cooking in my family. Each of us gets a night when we're in charge of dinner. My 11 year old usually picks noodles or tacos since they are easy. The 15 year old is getting somewhat adventurous and tries different things. The 21 year old is stable with his dishes, usually spaghetti, lasagna, enchiladas or burgers. The wife is a good cook and does whatever she feels like. Which brings things to me. Over the last three weeks my kids have all said my dinners have been the best. Two weeks ago it was scalloped potatoes with ham. My boys and I loved it. My wife said it had too much cheese. All three boys disagreed with her and said there is no such thing as too much cheese. Last week was split pea soup. Yesterday was one of my best. Roasted chicken and veggies.

I cut up several small red potatoes, a red onion and added baby carrots. I placed these in a pan. I washed the chicken and then dried it. I melted a stick of butter and poured about 2/3 of it over the veggies. Then came the spices. I'm sort of spoiled with my seasonings. Working at Dominos in the past, I grew to love their "garlic and herb shake-on". It is an awesome blend of spices. Ingredients are: garlic, onion, black pepper, fennel, parsley, basil, bay leaves, marjoram, oregano, thyme, red pepper, coriander, cumin, mustard, rosemary, celery seed, dehydrated carrot and orange peel. It's amazing. Anyway, I sprinkled that over the veggies and then mixed it all up. The chicken went on top of the veggies. I put the last 1/3 of the butter on the chicken then added the spices, along with some salt and pepper. Baked that in a covered stoneware dish at 475º for 1 hr 20 min. It was the best chicken I've ever had.

roast%20chicken.jpg

Where can one obtain this herb mixture? Or did you make it yourself?
I got it when I worked at Dominos. They put a ridiculous use by date on it. I think it's one month from when they open it. At the end of that time, you throw it away and open a new one. You might want to check your Dominos store. The manager at my last store would let me order anything I wanted from the commissary. My wife is gluten free, but she likes to make her own pizza. He sold me the crusts so she didn't have to make one. It's only a few bucks for the store to buy. Maybe they'll have some going out of date and let you have it.

I can't even find a "look alike" recipe for that damned Donimos seasoning!

Made navy beans with a ham bone and onions (used half water; half chicken broth) and cornbread to go with it.

Oven Baked Country Style Pork Ribs

Salt and pepper the ribs and place in baking dish. Cover with foil and bake at 300 for 2 hours. Uncover and drain liquid. Brush meat with bbq sauce, lower temp to 275 and bake uncovered for another hour.

serveimage

My house has smelled like booze the last couple days because I made several batches of ...

BOURBON BALLS!

1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons corn syrup
1/2 cup bourbon or light cream
2 ½ cups crushed Vanilla wafers (about 3/4 box)
1/2 powdered sugar
1 cup chopped nuts

Melt chocolate over hot water with corn syrup. Add bourbon or substitute and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine.

Combine vanilla wafer crumbs, sugar and nuts. Mix with melted chocolate mixture. Let stand 30 minutes or longer to let the mixture stiffen. Roll into 1 inch balls. Roll in powdered or granulated sugar. Store in covered container for 2+ days to let flavours meld.
I also like to add raisans, currants, or chopped prunes for a little fruity hint.

Last edited:
I love those things! I think I bought the stuff to make them last year but didn't get around to it. Forgot all about them this year.

A new medieval recipe I just made, which came from a 13th century manuscript. Fish sausages. Made with salmon, currants, ground mace, cloves, and salt, with hog casings.

20181228_215407.jpg

I made them at my gf's family's place and they were a surprise hit at dinner.

Last edited:
@Craygor those look awesome, but I may have to request no fish!
I didn't know how easy it was to make cased sausage and now I plan on making sausage from different meats, not just fish, but pork, beef, chicken, lamb, venison. The salmon was an excellent choice for fish sausage due to his mild flavor, even people who normally don't like fish actually enjoyed this.

I can actually do one better if you guys think you will use it. I can add a recipe mod that will add your recipe to a databse for the site. Up to you. Here it is:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=142871 Tirereviews

I usually eat not so much at dinner, but my man he is a real gourmand - I have to cook lot of food for him, especially meat :). On holidays when I eat too much, I try to recompense on ordinary days by eating only salad in the evening.
Post automatically merged:

I can actually do one better if you guys think you will use it. I can add a recipe mod that will add your recipe to a databse for the site. Up to you. Here it is:

I usually eat not so much at dinner, but my man he is a real gourmand - I have to cook lot of food for him, especially meat :). On holidays when I eat too much, I try to recompense on ordinary days by eating only salad in the evening.

yeah, i'm all over that.

recipe for gin:

ingredients: gin. :D

actually, i think it's a great idea. I might, perchance, learn to cook. Tirereviews

Last edited:
Back