• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
The Loved Ones

2009 Aussie horror thriller teen scream gore fest. That's pretty much all I want to say about it, because I truly enjoyed not knowing anything about the plot and then having it all unfold during the film. I don't think you'll find another one like this, and the ending was to die for, ha ha.

Really, don't watch the trailer if you're actually going to watch the movie. It's way too much fun for spoilers.

Def a trash trailer. Not only do they show too much, but where's that "Not Pretty Enough Song"? haha, so great.

Loved Ones is so fucking great.

It took like a fucking decade, but the director finally did a followup that came out a year or two ago called The Devils Candy. Not a slasher, not gruesome like Loved Ones, instead it's a more slow burn, pyschological horror focused creeper. Still can see the directors clearcut care for the genre at work, and his drive to create something very unique and original. Not as strong as Loved Ones i don't think, but still worth checking out...

Ok, I went the see The Upside on Monday night. I was more hungry for the popcorn than anything else. As much as I like Bryan Cranston, this movie was pretty crappy. Looking at IMDB I see that this was filmed in 2017. So seems like a shitty movie that the studio decided to sit on until they could bank on some outside publicity (say one of the stars backing out of hosting the Oscars or greenlighting of a Breaking Bad movie?????).

Remake of a French film i believe, also awful although from what i understand not as forcefed overly sentimental and schmaltzy.

Fuck it's a shame what Cranston has done with his career. Really wish hed just go back to tv. Guess he's had a few good roles, but his biggest ones are just trash.

Oh, yeah, The Devil's Candy is great.

I checked out The Guest House (2017) over the weekend. All I knew about it was what is in the brief blurb you can see below. Really, I still believe the less one knows about these movies, the better. That's definitely the case with this one, because the build up (and, thus, most of the movie) doesn't work otherwise. You go into the film knowing something is going to be fucked up. You just don't know why, what, or how and gradually finding out is what makes the movie entertaining.

Hell Baby (2013)

This caught my attention at Shudder in their "watch it while you can" section, and I was so glad I decided to watch it. Like others I've enjoyed recently, it's 80's style so no holds barred. That in itself is such a wonderful break from the movies of today that try too hard not to offend.

This is one of the funniest movies ever! The "horror" is secondary to the hilarity, but you will die laughing! It's nonstop right from the get go. From the creators of Reno 911, if that makes any difference. Don't bother with any trailers and just let the fun begin!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2318527/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I recently saw "Us". It was awesome. Amazing acting, excellent direction, interesting story. You will enjoy it more if you don't read about it before hand. I highly recommend.

Us2019.jpg

I went to see the new Pet Sematary today, and it was okay. The problem with movies based on books that you've read and know well is that what you're seeing on the screen seems like a Cliff's Notes version of the book. It hits the important parts and plot points, but leaves out a lot of the substance. This is just the nature of it, though, I guess.

I'm kind of looking forward to the Doctor Sleep movie. I like the casting, so I'm optimistic. But overall, I agree with you.

Mercy Black

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8758086/

Slenderman murder spin-off involving two young girls who stab a classmate and leave her for dead. Confined to a mental institution instead of prison, both are eventually released. The movie centers around one of the girls and the story is told from her point of view. It started well and was uber creepy, but I didn't like the ending. You'll have to watch it to see if you agree.

Possum (2018)

Watch all the spoilers you want, because they won't really help you. The movie is actually technically excellent, but it's not really horror unless you include being trapped in your own private Idaho of terror that exists only in one's own mind. The viewer does know that the main character, Philip, is under obvious psychological duress and is in a desperate attempt to dispose of a canvas bag after returning to his childhood home. Everything there seems dilapidated and rotting, and the house seems deserted at first. The man inhabiting it appears dirty and unpleasant, and he seems to find pleasure in tormenting Philip. Eventually we learn this man is his uncle Morris who began living there after the death of Philip's parents.

What is in the canvas bag that Philip can't seem to destroy or get rid of in any way, is a hideous puppet spider with a human head that looks like Philip. We learn that he is a somehow disgraced children's puppeteer. All through the puppet scenes runs an obtuse but ominous little verse. Some of these scenes appear to be dreams with bizarre imagery. Overlaid on this is a police report and search for the abductor of a young boy, and it's obvious that Philip is a prime suspect although there is no actual indication that he did anything at all despite being shooed away from a school. The puppet hints that Phillip may have something dark and deranged in his psyche, but we don't really know.

If you thought all these ends would be tied in a neat bow at the end, you'd be very mistaken. I won't give it away, but it's not going to be at all satisfying after investing 1-1/2 hours in the film.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6081670/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I thought this review did a very good job and pretty much matches my own thoughts about the movie.

I watched Possum a while back. Def not what i expected. That puppet is so fucking creepy. Not a great movie, but the visuals and creep factor the director brings, and the actors, just tremendous. One of those flicks where the plot ultimately feels kinda empty though.

If anyone watched that awful Garth Meringis Darkplace show on Adult Swim years ago, it's made by the same dude that did/starred in that. Downright shocking to see him capable of something like Possum. I hope he moves on to some other things, Possum shows hes got some serious talent, even if it is def not going to be most peoples cup of tea.

Hellraiser (the original) on Shudder. Hadn't seen it in years, wife and kid were in bed so I said fuck it.
I saw Hellraiser once when it first came out. Found it super disturbing and would never watch it again, not because it was too scary but because the guy with all the needles in his face seriously pushed all my needle phobia buttons.

Possum looks interesting, will watch it tonight.

Last edited:
I had to fly out to Bermuda and back last week on business. It's about 2h20m each way which meant I had plenty of time to watch a movie each way. I watched Vice on the way out and Deathpool 2 on the way back. Both were decent and a good way to kill some time but I didn't think either was anything special. Deathpool 2 was a lot funnier.

Today is a twofer.

In the Electric Mist

Lt. Dave Robicheaux, a detective in New Iberia, Louisiana, is trying to link the murder of a local hooker to New Orleans mobster Julie (Baby Feet) Balboni, who is co-producer of a Civil War film. At the same time, after Elrod Sykes, the star of the film, reports finding another corpse in the Atchafalaya Swamp near the movie set, Robicheaux starts another investigation, believing the corpse to be the remains of a black man who he saw being murdered 35 years before.

This was a nice change from the hectic pace of most of this genre's films. The blurb above doesn't give anything away.

Potpurri

A group of students at a liberal arts college in Minneapolis is faced with expulsion if their final papers in philosophy class are not satisfactory. As a result, the inept group of friends decides to experiment with a series of illicit drugs, in an effort to expand their cognitive horizons and help them better understand some of the mind-bending concepts of the course. Each is taken on a different adventure as the students begin to realize how severely they've underestimated the effects of the drugs.

It's a bit difficult to describe this one, although the above is concise and accurate version. However, it does not come close to the "through a black hole and into an alternate universe" concept integral to the plot. The movie is campy, weird, and funny. I had to watch it in parts to get through it, but the ending was absolutely worth it. You may be tempted to bail, but you won't regret it if you don't, and you can't appreciate the ending without the lead up. It's only at the end that you realize it is brilliant.

Latest posts

Back