• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Well, full disclosure: I can create and comment news articles at tremendous speeds. Writing is kind of my thing. The problem, and the only single reason I have never committed to posting on the front page, despite aiming to, is that I genuinely, honestly...I don't have the time to crawl the net looking for news articles. Most of the time I am online reading scholarly journals and boring pointless pretentious medical crap for work. I am not looking at local news websites and crawling for stories. Which I think is cool and a legit occupation I'm totally jealous of, but I can't do it. Basically everything crime-related I've read since '06 has been on DD.

I come and go from this site for days, weeks, sometimes months at a time. It has nothing to do with not wanting to be around, just life shit and ungodly unacceptable work schedules.

But if necessary, I can probably help. If someone is willing to message me articles from primary sources (news sites), I can definitely pen something in no time. If you don't fancy writing articles, I can write them for you (I will acknowledge you). I do not use invisible status, so if you see me online, I am free. If I'm not online...well, I'm not here. Ergo can't write.

It's no concrete commitment. But I have a quirky and fucked up take on things, and some people are twisted enough to like it.

Oops, broken failed (vodka) and didn't read the second page. I'll co-sign the "Writer List" -concept. People can message me if they want to read my, uh...completely nonpartisan and unequivocally neutral nonfictional prose of utmost journalistic integrity. Just the who's an idiot, what's a better murder weapon, when the perp should have been aborted, where they committed the crime, why they committed the crime, and how the crime must be added to their outrageously long list of personal failings. No yellow journalism!

I will make a post about it once we get everything fleshed out... but after talking with @Subrosa, we may have one way to reward people for their efforts. Using Google Analytics, we can drill down to the forum posts that have received the most traffic for the month. So that is one way we can reward someone by giving them a month of bold if they get the most visited thread.

Another way is by rewarding the most commented for the month, and the most liked. Although I have to check on those last two to see exactly how that can be done (currently it is set for the week and I'd like to keep it that way). I'll also get some special trophies made up - I know trophies aren't a giant incentive, but if you do win, why not let it show.

We do have a way of allowing users to "win" the ability to change their username and other profile related stuff, but I have never looked into it. I will check that out over the weekend and see if it is even worth the hassle.

Lastly, we can give away Zazzle merchandise on a monthly basis - but all we have is a coffee cup. This will definitely need to be fleshed out a bit more. Luckily, thanks to @DamagedGoods , we do have a skull logo that we can use to make some shirts with.

I'll continue to update as updates become available - but will make a standalone thread on any of these things we get fully functioning.

@WannaBeMaybe and anyone else wondering, I love to write up stories, I'm here Monday thru Friday about 8AM to 4:30 PM (EST), send me a link or even just a name and location and I'll search it myself.

Like many others I live in an area with slow news but if you have a lead on a good one send it to me, my inbox is full of PM's and I love logging on in the morning and seeing new links.

I haven't been around for awhile...but I miss this place. I would be happy to write up stories, but it seems like every time I have attempted one, I am a day late and a dollar short. By the time I get to the site to post it, it has already been done. I would be willing to help with this, however, if I can be a little speedier!

Damn. I was wondering what prompted the sudden rush of new news stories. Sorry I've been lazy but I was only ever an occasional poster anyways.

Morbid, you want to make it easier for people to post? I think one of the biggest hurdles might be a lot of folks browsing via phones, right? And copying/pasting shit lots of shit and editing it just turns into a hassle. So... here's my likely unworkable plan.

Identify a few dozen of the most commonly linked (i.e. most popular) news sites the members link stories from. Map out how those sites format their news articles. Make some sort of simplified thread generator here where the user just pastes in a URL from one of the supported sites (listed in a list somewhere easy to find.)

User submits a link. Site parses it for likely names - just needs to look for multiple words beginning with capital letters, so that shouldn't be hard. Search for those names on the site and make a list of matching threads, and present the list to the user with a prompt whether or not they see the same story already posted, and if not... it pulls the article text from the site linked and reformats it in a new thread composition as a quotation, with headline, date, author, link, etc. all added for the user, and they can then add whatever they like above or below it and submit. (But they'd have to type out a thread title from scratch, because letting them simply import the article headline would be fucking lame, and lazy people would reuse it.) And since you set up the templates yourself, you can code them to truncate the article before a certain % (if it's too short) or after a certain number of characters/words (if it's too long) so as to avoid quoting the entire damn article like some folks like to do despite the sticky about posting...

It would be a pain to set up at first, if it's feasible and/or advisable to do, and it might run the risk of tipping the site's content towards the news sites you add, excessively, but... you could also have some easy system in place to request other specific sites, and hopefully, once you've set it up, adding new sites shouldn't be as difficult, right?

It might turn out to involve a huge amount of effort for little payoff, or maybe it would result in a flood of threads from users that are less likely to find and post stuff if they have to go through the effort of copying/pasting/formatting everything themselves. Just a suggestion. Probably a terrible one.

I actually almost never come to the site on my phone because it's that much of a pain in the ass.
I "lurk" on my phone. When the Hubby is being an ebay-aholic, I pull up DD on my phone and read but never comment, I'll give a rating or two but that's the extent of it. Pain in the ass on my phone.

Ask any regular posters if you run into difficulties.
Doing a quick look with the search function using a name from the news story, something unusual from the story, or sometimes even the city where it took place will give you a short list to scan before you post.

For example, if the news story is about:

"Bakersfield police find suspected school bus thief, Matilda Frost, hiding in a vat of chocolate"

Search Matilda Frost, school bus thief, vat of chocolate, and/or Bakersfield police.

As far as posting photos - screen shots, and editing it down so it doesn't contain the media outlet's information, and being Bold and having Google Photo (both just $2 a month) works for me, but others have success with photo hosting sites.

Original writing is also encouraged.

Read the pinned guidelines under each forum.

You'll make some mistakes, we all did, and do. It's OK. Do your best. It's not like disabling a bomb in under 90 seconds, keep it in perspective.
No one is going to be mean to you.
But do take the advice that's offered.

@Ellen Brody , @Taishobee , @Handbag @Bipedalprimate @Kitsune Faye @Josh P @Freyja @Alxprkrkrls and so many, many other members here that aren't popping into my mind at the moment, and some of you who have posted in the past.
You're all good writers/have subjects you're passionate about/have good senses of humor, you might find you really enjoy starting threads.

No, I'm not the authority on anything here, I'm just a member who likes to read unusual and interesting crime stories that provoke conversation-just like you.

P. S. I'm bumping this old thread (2015) because it offers a lot of encouragement and answers a lot of questions.

Last edited:
Ive thought about postung here but I cant afford to go bold so I view the site as text and only load pics sonetimes. Id love to support the site but Ive been homeless so Im afraid of going in the hole in my bank account and not being able to pay my 2k rent Every month. Not even luxury where I live!

I can absolutely understand that @Taishobee! With the online rent payment systems, $1 short makes a difference.
You don't necessarily need Bold membership to post threads, but it does make it easier.

Heres how you can contribute in a different, but just as meaningful way:

UPDATES!

I enjoy the heck out of finding an old thread that interests me and was left a question mark, then looking up and posting the conclusion!

It's good research, summarizing, formatting practice, and skill building.
It doesn't feel as scary to do either.

It's deeply satisfying to jump ahead to the last page, sort of speak!

That would be an great contribution.

You can pick any old thread or maybe look at threads focused around a geographical area or subject that interests you?

Let's say I liked violins.

I do a search, specifying search titles only, and voilà, a potential 5 that I can do some research on
Screenshot_20230727_200947.jpg

It's like doing your own "where are they now? " show.

Oftentimes it's a dead end, or not really interesting enough to bring to everyone's attention but it's a good way to hone your detective skills!!

Always be sure to include your source.

UPDATES! The low pressure but high payoff contribution!!

As always, the more obscure and unusual the story you're updating, the better!

And have fun! This site is for entertainment and enjoying yourself!

Last edited:
Ask any regular posters if you run into difficulties.
Doing a quick look with the search function using a name from the news story, something unusual from the story, or sometimes even the city where it took place will give you a short list to scan before you post.

For example, if the news story is about:

"Bakersfield police find suspected school bus thief, Matilda Frost, hiding in a vat of chocolate"

Search Matilda Frost, school bus thief, vat of chocolate, and/or Bakersfield police.

As far as posting photos - screen shots, and editing it down so it doesn't contain the media outlet's information, and being Bold and having Google Photo (both just $2 a month) works for me, but others have success with photo hosting sites.

Original writing is also encouraged.

Read the pinned guidelines under each forum.

You'll make some mistakes, we all did, and do. It's OK. Do your best. It's not like disabling a bomb in under 90 seconds, keep it in perspective.
No one is going to be mean to you.
But do take the advice that's offered.

@Ellen Brody , @Taishobee , @Handbag @Bipedalprimate @Kitsune Faye @Josh P @Freyja @Alxprkrkrls and so many, many other members here that aren't popping into my mind at the moment, and some of you who have posted in the past.
You're all good writers/have subjects you're passionate about/have good senses of humor, you might find you really enjoy starting threads.

No, I'm not the authority on anything here, I'm just a member who likes to read unusual and interesting crime stories that provoke conversation-just like you.

P. S. I'm bumping this old thread (2015) because it offers a lot of encouragement and answers a lot of questions.

It is funny that you’ve appointed yourself the den mother of DD since you’re one of the meanest, backbiting members here. Lmao. I can’t even.

I agree with your comment's assessment 10,000%.
Well. I mean. Since she subjected me to 7 hours in shout telling me what I cunt I am, that told me all I needed to know. Now I dip in and out, and her being like “we all have to pull together to save DD, and this is how I’ll help you!” earnestness annoys my very soul. I’d rather we had back Whisper, who Morbid obliquely refers to at the front of this thread. Again.

Lmao.

Signed-

The original DD den mother. I have files on all of you. You’re also welcome for the sarcastic penguin. Jesus.

Well. I mean. Since she subjected me to 7 hours in shout telling me what I cunt I am, that told me all I needed to know. Now I dip in and out, and her being like “we all have to pull together to save DD, and this is how I’ll help you!” earnestness annoys my very soul. I’d rather we had back Whisper, who Morbid obliquely refers to at the front of this thread. Again.

Lmao.

Signed-

The original DD den mother. I have files on all of you. You’re also welcome for the sarcastic penguin. Jesus.
Overflowing with love and sensitivity.

and her being like “we all have to pull together to save DD, and this is how I’ll help you!” earnestness annoys my very soul.

I find it amusing that anyone at this point and time feels like the site needs saving. If no one posted a thing, it would still be here. Of course, I appreciate anyone taking the time to post news articles but this site is just a bill for me every month that I don't mind paying and not dependent on any rally call to step up and post articles. I mean, this thread was created seven years ago. @Jaded and I have plans for the future of the site, but I'm just not ready to pull any triggers quite yet.

I find it amusing that anyone at this point and time feels like the site needs saving. If no one posted a thing, it would still be here. Of course, I appreciate anyone taking the time to post news articles but this site is just a bill for me every month that I don't mind paying and not dependent on any rally call to step up and post articles. I mean, this thread was created seven years ago. @Jaded and I have plans for the future of the site, but I'm just not ready to pull any triggers quite yet.
Will you revive the YouTube live streams? It would be great to hear one occasionally.

Back