• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
1571411307308.png

Medical examiners at first ruled Ellen Greenberg's death a homicide, but later, and with no explanation, amended it to a suicide

PEOPLE obtained court papers provided by Joseph Podraza, Jr., the attorney representing the parents of 27-year-old teacher Ellen Greenberg, who suffered 20 stab wounds in early 2011.

Greenberg was found by her fiancé in the kitchen of their residence in the Manayunk neighborhood with a 10-inch knife in her chest.

The suit argues the original homicide ruling was accurate and suggests more than one knife may have been used in her death.

It also alleges the ruling on her manner of death was changed by the medical examiner under pressure from local police.

Philadelphia police did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment. The medical examiner’s office said the office, as a rule, doesn’t respond to ongoing litigation in which it is involved.

According to police, the door to the apartment had been locked from the inside; the fiancé forced it open. Police also said Greenberg’s body showed no signs of defensive wounds that would indicate she fought for her life.

She was stabbed 10 time to the back of her neck, eight times in the chest, and once in the stomach. She also had a substantial gash across her scalp.

The medical examiner’s office has never provided a reason for why they switched the cause of death for Greenberg.

How.... uhm... WTF?

10 times in the back of her neck.... 8 times in the chest... once in the stomach

Ok, I can see the one in the stomach, hell I could even imagine killing myself and the knife sticking in my chest, but I don't think I could stab myself 8 times in the back of the neck.... maybe once.

Ellen Greenberg’s family seeks to overturn ruling she committed suicide after being stabbed 20 times​

suicide-case-05.jpg

For more than a decade, the family of a woman stabbed 20 times — including 10 from behind — has battled to have the Philadelphia medical examiner’s ruling that her death was a suicide overturned.

Ellen Greenberg, a 27-year-old teacher, was found covered in bruises and stabbed to death in her apartment during a blizzard more than a decade ago. Despite the blood-soaked crime scene, evidence her body had been moved and stab wounds to the back of her skull, investigators found “no evidence of a struggle in the kitchen area or anywhere else in the apartment.”

Dr. Marlon Osbourne, a former pathologist at the Medical Examiner’s Office in Philadelphia, initially ruled the death a homicide, based on the injuries, then backtracked and revised the manner of death to suicide after conferring with city police, according to a civil lawsuit from Greenberg’s family.

An appeals court heard arguments in a civil lawsuit this week and will decide whether it can move to trial.

Lawyers on both sides of the appeal made their cases before a three-member panel of the Commonwealth court Tuesday, Joe Podraza, an attorney for Greenberg’s parents, told Fox News Digital.

Suicide ruling upheld for Philly teacher found with 20 stab wounds but judges slam ‘deeply flawed’ investigation​

An appellate court panel upheld a ruling that a Philadelphia teacher found dead in 2011 with 20 stab wounds had killed herself, but slammed the police investigation as “deeply flawed,” according to court documents.

The family of Ellen Greenberg, 27, has fought for more than a decade to overturn the city’s ruling over the death of the teacher, whose corpse was riddled with stab wounds, including 10 to the back of the head and neck.

Greenberg’s family hired a team of experts in the aftermath of her death who pointed out that a knife in her apartment was overturned, possibly suggesting that she had been involved in a struggle, and a gash on the back of her head may have rendered her unconscious and unable to defend herself.

Her family has also questioned why she filled up her gas tank before coming home and didn’t leave a note indicating that she planned to take her own life.

An appellate panel ruled Wednesday that Greenberg’s parents, Joshua and Sandra, lacked the standing for a civil suit, but the judges criticized the city police, prosecutors, the medical examiner’s office and pathologists Marlon Osbourne and Sam Gulino for blunders made in their investigation, Fox News reports.

Back