• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
She sued and was awarded 85 Thousand dolllars.[/QUOTE]
that pisses me off. She shoulda gotten nailed for tresspassng. That is like the state and I beleive federal judicial decision that a cop/s can shoot and kill your dog for any reason as puppicide has been coming up allot and with few exceptions I am on the side of the dogs/homeowners

@PsychoKitty
I was called as a witness in a dog bite case.
Fact.
The dog was in its own fenced back yard minding it's own business.
Fact
Some old lady that *dabbled I real estate heard from a friend that heard from another friend that their neighbors friends cousin might list their house for sale.. mind you, This lady wasn't an agent or licensed to sell real estate. This was just something she was interested in.

She went to said house, and after peeking in the front Windows, she decided to open the gate and have a look around in the back of the house.
That minding his own business dog jumped to action. The lady Turned to run and the dog but her right on the ass once.

She sued and was awarded 85 Thousand dolllars.

:eek: So what could the homeowner have done to protect themselves? Beware of dog signs? Did they have those?

:eek: So what could the homeowner have done to protect themselves? Beware of dog signs? Did they have those?
Not a damn thing.
Yes, signs and a closed secure yard.
The judge never gave a reason for the award.
The home owner did everything they were supposed to do. Secure yard, signs, vaccinated, neutered and licensed.
I just think the judge was an unfair dog hater.

The Fortuna City Council at its regular Monday meeting is set to reject a claim against the city filed by an attorney representing Marcia Kitchen, the Fortuna woman accused in the deaths of two 14-year-old girls.
The claim filed Jan. 6 by Marcia Kitchen’s attorney Patrik Griego seeks “damages from the State of California, California Department of Transportation, County of Humboldt, and the City of Fortuna” — in effect, blaming the governmental entities for causing the crash.
Read below - the crime happened on a clear dry day, it was still light out, the road was straight. Sounds like the girls were returning home from an outing.

At the link below, there is a photo of the road where it happened.

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2017/may/8/kitchen-preliminary-hearing/

Vehicular manslaughter suspect Marcia “Marci” Kitchen admitted to a friend that she’d been drinking and had hit her daughter and another girl, a California Highway Patrol investigator testified today.
[...]

Kitchen told Rex she was in Oakland (at the children’s hospital) and Kiya had just died. She wanted Rex to go to her house and remove a 7-pound bag of marijuana and some alcohol from her Jeep.

Rex, while continuing to speak with Kitchen on the phone, drove to the house and found Kitchen’s Jeep in a side yard. That surprised her because it was usually parked in front of the house. The Jeep was heavily damaged.

She said “Oh my God, Marci, oh my God, Marci,” Adams testified. And Kitchen reportedly told her “I did it. I hit the girls.”

Chase said Rex asked Kitchen whether she’d been drinking, and Kitchen responded that she’d “had a couple.”

“But I thought I hit a deer, Ronda. I thought I hit a deer.”

Kitchen told Rex she pulled over and looked back but saw nothing, so she left for home. Rex found no marijuana in the Jeep, and just one unopened bottle of beer. But at Kitchen’s direction she removed one pound of marijuana from the bedroom.

[...] Tsarnas, who had come from out of town to visit Kiya, was dead in the middle of the road. Kiya was found, barely alive, in some bushes 10 to 12 feet off the roadway. She died the next morning in Oakland.

The 911 call about the incident came in at 9:16 p.m. on July 12. Chase and two Fortuna police officers arrived within minutes and found Tsarnas dead.

Officers testified it was still daylight, no flashlights or car headlights required, and the incident occurred on a straight stretch of road. The weather reportedly was clear and dry.

Fortuna police Sgt. Jason Kadle testified that Tsarnas was lying face-down, and he and another officer rolled her onto her back.

Tsarnas had marks on her torso, head and hands, Kadle said, and her legs appeared deformed and twisted. According to later testimony her right leg was broken, and possibly her left ankle and knee. She had no pulse and wasn’t breathing.

While officers were checking Tsarnas, they heard someone yell that a second victim had been found. It was Kiya Kitchen. Kadle said Kiya was pulled out from the bushes to the roadway. She was gasping for breath and apparently unconscious.

Kiya was put in an ambulance and taken to Redwood Memorial Hospital in Fortuna. Shortly afterward, Marci Kitchen arrived at the crime scene in a pickup truck being driven by her boyfriend, Josh Pearlston. It was less than 10 minutes after the first 911 call came in. She was yelling and crying, saying she wanted to see her daughter. Chase testified that Kitchen was obviously very drunk. She was unsteady on her feet, slurring her words. And he said the smell of alcohol coming from her was “overwhelming.”

The officer gave Kitchen a ride in his patrol car from the crime scene perimeter to where Tsarnas was lying in the road. By this time the teen was covered with a tarp.

Chase said he was thinking “OK, now I have to deal with this drunk lady.”

He told Kitchen they were going to see if the body in the roadway was that of her daughter, “and let you have a moment with her.”

Chase said Kitchen was “in various states of hysteria.”

And at that point, the officer choked up and was unable to continue testifying. Judge John Feeney called for a break.

After the break, Chase said he and Kitchen were standing next to the tarped body, and it seemed Kitchen was “bracing herself for the impact.”

Then the tarp was pulled back. Kitchen reportedly said “Wait. That’s not my daughter.”

“Her demeanor completely changed,” Chase said. “She went from almost hysterical to almost cavalier.”

But when Chase asked if she knew who the dead girl was, Kitchen became upset again. She said it was Faith, who “is like my daughter.”

Kitchen was told Kiya had been taken to Redwood Memorial Hospital. Chase said he was worried about her driving because she appeared to be so drunk, but Josh Pearlston assured him he would give her a ride.

When Chase arrived at the hospital he was surprised Kitchen wasn’t there. But her son Jevin Kitchen and a friend of his were.

The officer went to the emergency room to check on Kiya.

“She seemed badly injured,” he testified. “She was unresponsive. She didn’t seem to be breathing on her own. The medical staff were still giving her CPR.”

Chase returned to the scene of the collision, but came back to the hospital a couple of hours later. This time Kitchen was there, and she told him Kiya was going to be flown out of the area for treatment.

“They won’t let me fly on the plane with my daughter because they think I’m drunk,” she reportedly told the officer. Chase said he told her he agreed that she was drunk. In fact, he said, Kitchen was still slurring her words, repeating herself and struggling with multi-syllable words.

According to Chase, the injured girls were found 350 feet away from the initial point of impact. He said he attributed that to the driver traveling at a high rate of speed and continuing to drive after striking the girls.

There was various debris found in the roadway: a black flip-flop, an intact skateboard, a destroyed skateboard, auto parts and paint chips. Chase said the paint chips were later matched to Kitchen’s Jeep.

[...]

---TRIAL DATE SET---

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2017/jun/13/marci-kitchen-trial-date-set-november-full-proceed/
13 June 2017
Marcia ‘Marci’ Kitchen, accused of running over and killing her daughter and another teenage girl, is scheduled for a jury trial in November.

This morning Judge Marilyn Miles set a Nov. 13 trial date for Kitchen, who was in court with her two attorneys and a group of supporters. A trial confirmation hearing was set for Oct. 10.

Attorney Ben Okin told the judge he expects the trial, including jury selection, to last a month.

Kitchen, 39, allegedly was driving drunk on Eel River Drive the evening of July 12 when her Jeep Wrangler struck her daughter Kiya Kitchen and Kiya’s friend Faith Tsarnas, both 14. The girls had been skateboarding in the road.

Tsarnas died at the scene, and Kiya died in the hospital the next morning.

During Kitchen’s preliminary hearing, her son testified that his mother came home intoxicated and asked him to drive her wrecked Jeep into a basketball hoop so she could claim that’s how it was damaged. Kitchen told several people that she thought she hit a deer.

Kitchen, arrested after a two-month investigation by the California Highway Patrol, posted $750,000 bail and remains out of custody.

http://kiem-tv.com/2018/09/03/marci-kitchen-booked-into-the-humboldt-county-jail/
3 Sep 2018
Ahead of her custody hearing, Marci Kitchen books herself into the Humboldt County Jail.

Marci kitchen pled guilty two weeks ago to DUI, hit-and-run, and two counts of vehicular manslaughter, in a case that goes back to July 2016.
[...]
Kitchen remained out on bail, until Monday, when she surrendered her bond.

She is scheduled to have a custody hearing on Tuesday to determine if she will stay out of jail prior to her sentencing on the September 18.

Kitchen faces up to 11 years in prison.

Through this whole thing, I get the impression she isn't remorseful about the death of her daughter or her daughter's friend.

She's only worried about herself and going to prison.

If I was out drunk driving and ran someone over I think I would kill myself on the spot. But this bitch ran over her daughter and her daughter's best friend. Left them laying in the road.
She faces up to 11 years. Even if she got all 11 years, it's not enough.

Disgusting drunken coward.
Take ownership that you want to live in a booze bottle while giving zero fukks about the kids you killed.

Public stockade open for public torture.
Bitch deserves the community wrath and vengeance.

8 years. She got 8 years.
Drunk driver hit two people (one her very own daughter) left them injured,
To die on the side of the road. drove home and hid her car.

She is suing every entity her attorney could think of.

Joke sentence. 8 years is disgusting.

She ta

https://www.northcoastjournal.com/N...enced-to-eight-years-in-dui-manslaughter-case

[...]
Kitchen voluntarily surrendered the $750,000 bail bond that had kept her out of custody. She has been in jail since Sept. 3, held in isolation for her protection, according to officials.

The defense had urged probation for Kitchen, who has no previous criminal record, while the prosecution asked Cockrum to sentence her to 11 years and four months in prison, what the district attorney’s office considered the maximum term in the case. A matter of contention between the two sides, her defense had placed Kitchen’s maximum exposure at seven years and eight months.
[...]

Here's a bit more
'lists the charges, background on the plea deal and factors considered by Judge Cockrum '
https://johnchiv.blogspot.com/2018/09/will-pc-654-impact-marci-kitchens.html

Judges remarks on sentencing:
https://johnchiv.blogspot.com/2018/09/marci-kitchen-sentenced-to-8-years-in.html

Last edited:
Father of one of the girls killed by Marci Kitchen was arrested for HIT & RUN!!
https://kymkemp.com/2019/01/15/jeff...n-charges-stemming-from-november-hit-and-run/
15 Jan 2019
According to the California Highway Patrol, Jeff Tsarnas of Myers Flat was arrested just after noon today for a hit and run collision that occurred on November 27. On that day, pedestrian was hit near Ferndale Bridge about 5:37 that evening, according to the CHP Traffic Incident Information Page. Tsarnas’ daughter, Faith Tsarnas, was one of two teenagers killed when a car driven by Marci Kitchen, the mother of the other girl, hit them and also left the scene.
[...]

Traffic was at a standstill in both directions for a time. The victim, 47-year-old Marie Kelley of Garberville, had injuries to her lower left leg, according to a later press release by the California Highway Patrol.

According to a CHP press release on December 7,

"CHP officers recovered a broken driver side vehicle mirror at the location of the collision and this information was released through the media, in hopes of locating the vehicle, as well as possible witnesses to the collision.

The CHP received several tips from the public in regards to this investigation. On 11-29-2018, 54 year old Jeffry Tsarnas of Myers Flat came in to the Humboldt Area CHP office and stated he had been the driver at the time of the collision. Mr. Tsarnas also brought the involved vehicle to the CHP office and the broken mirror was matched to this vehicle. A full statement was obtained from Mr. Tsarnas at this time."

It is unknown if alcohol and/or drugs were a factor in this collision.

:eek:

That's insane! Some people just do not learn from experience.
Thank goodness the lady wasn't injured too badly. I wonder what his excuse will be.
Because although he came forward two days later with the vehicle and everything.... it was two days later.
I follow news in that region a lot, so I'll try to update. Courts seem to move really slow in those far northern Calif. counties, they seem to be short staffed all the time.

ETA: DAMN! The woman's ankle was very severely injured.

Last edited:
He claims he thought he hit an animal. No excuse not to stop, except he was DUI.
https://johnchiv.blogspot.com/2019/01/jeff-tsarnas-told-police-he-thought-he.html
17 Jan 2019
Jeff Tsarnas's bail was increased to $35,000. If he is released from custody, Tsarnas cannot consume or be in possession of any alcohol. Same condition for drugs.

[...]
Mr. Patrick Griego is representing the victim, Marie Kelley. She could not be in court today because she is unable to walk. It is unknown at this time whether Kelley will be able to walk again or the condition is permanent. Tsarnas ran over the victim's ankle, said Mr. Griego.

Witnesses said Tsarnas had been doing meth and drinking alcohol on November 27, 2018 the day of the hit and run. Tsarnas did not turn himself in until later. Tsarnas has a misdemeanor conviction for marijuana from 2017.
[...]
Tsarnas.jpg

Last edited:
17 Jan 2019
The father of hit-and-run victim Faith Lorraine Tsarnas, killed by a drunken driver in July 2016, pleaded not guilty today to fleeing the scene after running over a woman on Fernbridge on Nov. 27.

Jeffry Tsarnas told a witness that at the time he hit the woman, he had been using methamphetamine and drinking, attorney Patrik Griego told visiting Judge Joseph Hurley at Tsarnas’ arraignment this afternoon. Griego, who once defended Marcia Kitchen, the woman who ran over and killed Faith Tsarnas and her own daughter Kiya Kitchen, is now representing Jeffry Tsarnas’ alleged victim Marie Kelley.
Griego said Jeffry Tsarnas also told the witness he had lied to the California Highway Patrol when he told them he hadn’t been drinking and thought he had hit an animal.
“He said he was driving 60 mph and the pedestrian flew a long distance,” Griego said.
He said Kelley, a 47-year-old Garberville resident, has a severely fractured ankle and is unable to walk.
“Will she be able to?” the judge asked.
“We don’t know that,” Griego said. “She’s still in a wheelchair.” He said Kelley won’t be able to put any weight on the ankle for months.
[...]
Jeffry Tsarnas is one of three people who have filed civil suits against Kitchen for the collision that left the two 14-year-old girls dead. The others are Stephanie Baldwin, Tsarnas’ former wife and Faith’s mother; and Joe Kitchen, Marcia Kitchen’s ex-husband and the father of Kiya Kitchen.
https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2019/jan/17/jeff-tsarnas-pleads-not-guilty-fernbridge-hit-and/

The never ending saga of hit and run drunks and meth heads. Marci Kitchen will be out of prison for killing this man's daughter before he goes on trial for shattering his own victim's lower leg.

September 24, 2019
A missing prosecution witness forced postponement this morning of the preliminary hearing for hit-and-run suspect Jeffry Lee Tsarnas.

Judge Kelly Neel was prepared to preside over the estimated three-hour hearing when Deputy District Attorney Roger Rees announced one of his witnesses, who had been in the courthouse earlier in the morning, now could not be found.

Rees said he told Barbara Craft she could take a break “for some fresh air” but to be back at 10 a.m. An hour later she was missing in action.

[...]
Craft was scheduled to testify against the 55-year-old Tsarnas, charged with fleeing the scene after his pickup truck struck Garberville resident Marie Kelley, 48, as Kelley walked on Fernbridge the night of Nov. 27, 2018. Kelley’s lower leg was seriously injured.

[...]
Today both Rees and defense attorney Neal Sanders were ready to proceed with the hearing when it had to be delayed. It is now scheduled for Nov. 4.
[...]

Back