• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Athena

Buzzkill.
74297822_7db754f4ea.jpg

Radio station giving away free divorce

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) -- A Charleston radio station is observing Valentine's Day with a reminder that Cupid sometimes misses his mark. WKLC-FM, better known as Rock 105, is giving away a free divorce.

Valentine's Day isn't all hearts and flowers, says WKLC Program Director Jay Nunley. There is a darker side, he said, "where maybe you despise your spouse and resent the entire day."

Through 4 p.m. on Thursday, Valentine's Day, applications for the free divorce will be accepted on the classic rock station's Web site, http://www.wklc.com . The winning name will be drawn at 5 p.m.

Nunley cautions that this is a real divorce and people shouldn't enter if they aren't serious. Also, people expecting a long, drawn-out legal battle should hire a lawyer because the Rock 105 contest is for a relatively uncomplicated divorce.

Charleston attorney Rusty Webb will handle the actual filing.

"Sure we can give away concert tickets, and we do," said Nunley. "That's going to make you happy for a little while. This is the chance to make someone happy for the rest of their life."

(This version CORRECTS SUBS overline to correct that radio station is in W.Va.)

----------------

Gotta love how we encourage family values these days!

I got some Bo-Berry biscuits at BoJangles today and they were in the shape of little hearts!

Awwwwwwww.

(Disclaimer: They didn't taste like actual hearts)

Good for them! Divorce is remedy to the affliction that is union. Pre-nups are always wise, but few people think to get them.

Good for them! Divorce is remedy to the affliction that is union. Pre-nups are always wise, but few people think to get them.

"the affliction"? Not sure I'm with you, there. Is this personal preference, or do you feel as though marriage has a negative effect on society?

"the affliction"? Not sure I'm with you, there. Is this personal preference, or do you feel as though marriage has a negative effect on society?

It is a mixture of both. On the personal side, marriage doesn't strike me as biologically natural, and is an institution perpetuated mainly through religion, which as you know, is not something I have any shred of respect for. As for the societal side, my issue with marriage is divorce. You can't really outlaw it, and so it becomes highly common when people realize their mistake. Rarely though do they plan out for such a contingency in advance, meaning that there infrequency of pre-nuptual agreements translates to an even more overly litigious society. Not to mention the way it which it can end up unfairly harming at least one party it in. With that happening to so many individuals, the collective societal impact is extensive.

Back