• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The 29-year-old mother called authorities to report that her young daughter was "unresponsive" and "cold to the touch" on July 24.

Gwinnett County police arrived to the home on Paxton Lane in unincorporated Lilburn and found the child dead.

She was 2 years and 11 months old.

She weighed 14 pounds, according to police.

Detectives interviewed the mother, Devin Moon, who told them that her daughter, Reygan, was born with medical issues which prevented her from gaining weight.

An autopsy found that Reygan's death was due to neglect. Malnutrition. No medical issues were found that would have led to Reygan's death, authorities stated.

Authorities said malnutrition was only one of the ways in which Moon neglected her daughter.

Investigators believe Devin Moon worked as a dancer at a local club.

"During the investigation detectives found that she had been leaving the child to go work basically overnight shifts on a regular basis," said Gwinnett County Police Sgt. Jake Smith. "So the [child] really was left at home alone for 10-12 hours most nights."

Moon was arrested and charged with cruelty to children in the first degree and felony murder.
https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/l...lone-while-mother-dances-at-club/85-577651472
safe_image.php

A Georgia mother let her 2-year-old daughter starve to death while she danced for cash at a local club, according to police.

The woman was allegedly neglecting her little girl “on a regular basis” — for up to 10-12 hours a night, cops said Thursday.

“During the investigation, detectives found that she had been leaving the child to go work basically overnight shifts,” explained Gwinnett County Police Sgt. Jake Smith. “So the [child] really was left at home alone for 10-12 hours most nights.”

Authorities believe Devin Moon, 29, let her daughter Reygan wither away inside their home in Lilburn while she went to work at a local club.

The youngster weighed just 14 pounds at the time of her death, according to cops.

“[The cause] was determined to be neglect,” police said in a press release.

Moon was reportedly employed as a dancer, though it’s unclear what kind of dancing she did.

Officers responded to her home on Tuesday after she called 911 and said Reygan was “unresponsive” and “cold to the touch.” It was later determined that the 2-year-old — who was set to turn 3 next month — was dead upon their arrival.

“Detectives interviewed [Moon] who reported that Reygan was born with medical issues which prevented Reygan from gaining weight,” according to cops.

She was not arrested, though, until Thursday after an autopsy revealed the cause of death to be neglect due to malnutrition.

“No other medical issues were discovered which would have led to Reygan’s death,” cops said. “Her weight at the time of her death was 14 lbs.”

Moon is facing child cruelty and felony murder charges. She remained in custody on Thursday night without bond.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/26/mom-let-2-year-old-starve-to-death-while-dancing-for-money-at-club/

Well, she certainly didn't feed her kid with the cash she earned. Now taking bets on drug of choice... :spy:

devin-moon.jpg

“Detectives interviewed [Moon] who reported that Reygan was born with medical issues which prevented Reygan from gaining weight,” according to cops.

Yeahhhh we've never heard THAT one here before.

Leaving a child alone for 10-12 hours a day won't cause death by starvation. Now, starving a child the other 12 hours of the day will ensure that the child is too weak to make a fuss while it lies helpless, cold, semi-conscious, whining so weakly for help and comfort that no one can hear.

I wonder if other people knew or suspected what was going on and did nothing because then people would find out they also left their children alone too much.

Last edited:
Three-year-old Reygan Moon died from starvation in July. Weeks later, her mother Devin Moon was denied bond for murder charge in the toddler's death.

11Alive's Nick Sturdivant was inside the courtroom, and said Moon didn't show emotion and only shook her head when the state attorney suggested she get no bond.

Reygan died on July 24, 2018, weighing only 14 pounds, half of what her normal weight should have been.

Reygan's autopsy determined that her death was due to neglect and malnutrition. She had no food in her stomach. Investigators also found feces in her hair and bad hygiene overall.

11Alive obtained the Georgia Division of Family and Children’s Services (DFCS) case file on Reygan, and DFCS admits in its own files that Reygan's case was not fully assessed, and follow-up visits were not done; less than a month before her third birthday, she was dead.
https://www.11alive.com/article/new...this-is-what-we-learned-in-court/85-592678412
31672544_1534030245926784_r.jpeg

What is even the point of DCF even existing if they are just going to neglect their cases? This is far, far too common. Heartbreaking that this child was neglected by EVERYONE, even the agency that exists solely to protect at risk children like herself, until the day she died from neglect.

I don't know what the solution is, but there has to be a better way. What does the average case worker make, I wonder? I know that the stress and burnout is a real issue in that field, and that the workload is heavy. Maybe the positions should be vetted better, and paid more. Make sure the people in these roles are taken care of sufficiently and incentivized to do the right thing. There also needs to be some external oversight, so that reports can't be fabricated, and balls can't be dropped without repercussions. The accountability needs to be there, along with the incentive to perform.

I have friends who are licensed clinical social workers and they are paid pennies. They have told me they would not be able to be this particular type of social work. The burnout is huge, the pay is nothing, the mental fatigue is monstrous and they have their lives threatened quite often. Social services receive next to no funding and are expected to carry client loads waaaay over what a person can deal with.

Almost 3 years old, weighed less than some newborns, but she knew, she had to know. I can’t help but think what that baby thought & felt, alone all that time, I hope and pray angels came to get her so she wasn’t alone. Bless that little one. RIP sweet baby

What a sad little life this baby girl had...

I can’t help but imagine her waking up in the middle of the night w a bad dream, maybe wandering around her dark, filthy apartment crying & looking for her mommy but nobody is there to comfort her, so eventually she just lays back down, her tummy empty & hurting.

And in the end she even died alone, her momster not bothering to check on her until her tiny malnourished body was already cold to the touch.

This bitch of a mother didn’t deserve that beautiful little girl! I hope she rots in hell!

@Ripley you could say the same for doctors, etc.

If they make a mistake, children (and adults) could lose their lives. Absolutely that's got to be stressful, but they're also compensated enough to make it worthwhile. Or at least the work balance is such that the lives saved or vastly improved by being in their care surpasses the pain of the lives lost.

The days that you save a life that would have otherwise been extinguished without your intervention... That has to be amazingly rewarding.

Do social workers just not get any of those happy endings? The whole thing is tragic, really. No one wins, everyone loses with the current structure.

5_F007_F2_E-_D987-4_A3_E-_A6_EE-_EB32_E6_C90_FC9.jpg

She was so beautiful & little... like a tiny fairy.

Tragically I read another article that stated little Reygan was locked in a closet for the 12 hours her momster left her alone every night- and that it’s likely alone in that disgusting closet is where little Reygan died. Also momster waited hours to call 911, first calling her ex & then leaving the apartment for a few hours.

The momster’s family claim they were cut off from contact w the baby after Reygan had been hospitalized previously for malnutrition- how wasn’t CPS all over this case after that??

Such a sad & preventable death of a beautiful little girl. Fly with the angels Reygan

@Ripley you could say the same for doctors, etc.

If they make a mistake, children (and adults) could lose their lives. Absolutely that's got to be stressful, but they're also compensated enough to make it worthwhile. Or at least the work balance is such that the lives saved or vastly improved by being in their care surpasses the pain of the lives lost.

The days that you save a life that would have otherwise been extinguished without your intervention... That has to be amazingly rewarding.

Do social workers just not get any of those happy endings? The whole thing is tragic, really. No one wins, everyone loses with the current structure.
True about doctors but it seems different somehow— I guess bc a doctor’s intervention to save someone either works or it doesn’t. Social workers reunite families after parents have completed the necessary steps but they can never be 100% positive the parents won’t slip again.

And they’re not paid nearly as well as doctors.

Back