• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
I am putting it hear because those involved with sending this 79 year old woman to jail are committing a crime against an elder person and animals
The only thing the folks in this town hate more than Mondays is feeding stray cats.

A 79-year-old Ohio woman is going to be spending 10 days in jail next month for the crime of giving food to random felines — and that sentence was handed down by an official in a town called Garfield Heights, according to reports.

Nancy Segula — a self-described “cat lover” — received the stiff sentence last week in court following her fourth and latest citation for the caring act, according to Cleveland’s Fox 8.

Segula began feeding the felines in 2017 when her then-neighbor moved and left his cats behind, the report said.

“I would always feed them and care for them because I was worried about them and I’m a cat lover,” she told the outlet.

“Once my neighbors got upset about it, they called the animal warden.”

Segula received her first citation in 2017. Since then, she’s had three more, and finally she was ordered to jail last week by a local magistrate.

They should find the person who left the cats and throw his ass in jail.

That is totally disgusting.

This town actually has a law on the books not to feed cats?
If this is such a problem why hasn't the city trapped the cats and removed them. It's actually cruel to leave the cats straying around without food.

And what about the person that left them. Animal abandonment is a crime.

If the town cares so much how about they come out and actually capture the cats and then rehome them?

Small town dumbasses with small town minds.
Some of these burgs are so ass backwards they are looking at 1964.

Ohio is really a dungheap of stupid laws and attitudes.

Last edited:
So if this is the 4th issue with the stray cats, why had the authorities not alreayd removed all the cats from the neighborhood?

It's such a huge problem that you arrest someone for feeding them, yet the authorities arent doing shit on their end to resolve the heart of the problem?

The woman is an idiot though. Stray cats are like wild animals, they can get by on their own and work wonders on rodent control. I wouldnt want my neighbor feeding them for that reason, a fat cat doesnt keep mice from my home. Leave some water out for him maybe, not food though.

A judge wants to take a second look at a 10-day jail sentence given to a 79-year-old woman for refusing to stop feeding stray cats in her suburban Cleveland neighborhood.

Cleveland.com reports that Garfield Heights Municipal Court Judge Jennifer Weiler wants to hear the case herself after a jail sentence handed down to Nancy Segula by a city magistrate last week was widely criticized.

Segula acknowledges repeatedly violating a city ordinance making it illegal for people to feed dogs and cats that aren’t their own. She was sentenced to jail after her fourth appearance in court for the violations.

She says she lost her husband and her own cats in 2017 and she began feeding the cats because she’s lonely.

Animal advocates and the Garfield Heights Animal Warden visited the property of 79-year-old Nancy Segula Wednesday to remove stray cats and kittens that have Segula facing jail time.

“We're making an effort to help her, to alleviate the problem, to remove the issue,” said Debra Bartowick with the animal rescue Forever Friends, adding she hopes it can spare Segula time behind bars.

“I feel bad for the kitties that are out there,” Segula said. “That's why I've always wanted to do something for them and help them out and take care of them.”

“The concern's been all the cat feces, the urine smell, dead cats that have been found,” said Garfield Heights Animal Warden Bonnie Hackett, who said she has been to the house to trap cats multiple times in the past.

“All the people that are outraged have to understand that we're trying to get these cats off the street,” Hackett said. “If she just would've stopped feeding months ago, years ago, this problem wouldn't be existing right now."

Segula admits she violated the terms of her probation but said she has now stopped feeding the cats.

“Even though I was on probation and I knew that I was not supposed to do this, I could not help myself because every time those cats would see me they would come running up by the door, and I just felt bad, and I had to give them something to eat,” Segula said.

Bartwick said Forever Friends tried to help back in June but was unable to gather the resources needed.

PAWS Ohio said cats removed from the property Wednesday will be evaluated and treated, receiving vaccinations and being spayed and neutered Thursday. They will then be placed in barns, foster homes or available for adoption.

“All the people that are outraged have to understand that we're trying to get these cats off the street,” Hackett said. “If she just would've stopped feeding months ago, years ago, this problem wouldn't be existing right now."

Uh...no.

The cats wouldn’t be at her house, but they would still be somewhere in town.

Methinks Ms. Hackett has no real-world experience of feral and stray cats.

When I had the house I had a lively population of strays that would frequent the place. And I wasn't feeding them. Best guess? They were eating the mice that lived in the fields surrounding the property.

--Al

People who dont want stray cats around are people that DO want mice, rats, and snakes, around. This can not be argued.

So this many incidents later, AFTER the woman is ordered to jail, the animal warden FINALLY gets off his ass to do his fucking job and do something about the issue? If the problem was so extensive that 10 days in jail for a 79 year old woman is warranted, how can anyone argue this game warden shouldnt be fired/replaced immediately?

Maybe someone will also find a solution to her loneliness. She can volunteer at Forever Friends or similar, perhaps.

Meh, that's what happens when we get old. Our friends/family die while we rot alone. Tough shit.

An Ohio woman sentenced to jail time for feeding stray cats has had her sentence suspended after the case drew national attention.

Nancy Segula, who is in her late 70s, must instead attend mental health counseling and make alterations to her property to deter stray cats, news station WOIO reports.

“Even though I love cats, I don’t want to have to get into any more trouble,” she said at Garfield Heights Municipal Court on Tuesday, according to the outlet.

Her sentence generated massive backlash on social media, and national news outlets soon picked up the story.

In response to the controversy, the Garfield Heights Police Department posted a statement on Facebook laying out its side of the story. According to the department, Segula had been cited on multiple occasions since 2015 for feeding stray cats after her neighbors complained, and she violated multiple court orders to stop. The post also noted that “over a period of time,” the city animal warden had removed 22 cats from her property and sent them to the local animal rescue group Forever Friends.

“The concern’s been all the cat feces, the urine smell, dead cats that have been found,” animal warden Bonnie Hackett told Fox 8.

But Segula said she simply felt bad for the hungry cats and that they kept her company.

“There’s been about six to eight adult cats and now there’s kittens coming over, too,” she told Cleveland.com. “I miss my own kitties. They passed away; my husband passed away. I’m lonely. So the cats and kitties outside help me.”

Since Segula was sentenced, Forever Friends has been working to trap and find homes for the cats and kittens who relied on her for food. For the less-socialized felines, the group is looking for places where they can live and work as barn cats.

Forever Friends noted on Facebook that trap-neuter-return, a method commonly used to humanely control stray and feral cat populations in the U.S., is also prohibited in Garfield Heights by city law.

However, Segula won’t be saying goodbye to all of the cats, according to Forever Friends.

“We have 2 more we are trying to catch,” the group wrote on Facebook on Tuesday. “Mrs. Segula is adopting one of them.”

Forever Friends noted on Facebook that trap-neuter-return, a method commonly used to humanely control stray and feral cat populations in the U.S., is also prohibited in Garfield Heights by city law.

So theyll lock an old woman up in jail, but they dont take it seriously enough to neuter the animals.

Or are they doing a trap-execute-garbage dump thing with em?

@JackBurton
In the article
Since Segula was sentenced, Forever Friends has been working to trap and find homes for the cats and kittens who relied on her for food. For the less-socialized felines, the group is looking for places where they can live and work as barn cats.
One of the articles talked maybe being an option there about catch neuter and release as well..

Latest posts

Back