• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
A mother who allegedly told police she fatally struck her toddler son because he wouldn't eat his breakfast has pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges.

Nakira Griner entered her plea during an arraignment hearing Monday. The 25-year-old Bridgeton woman is charged in the death of 23-month-old Daniel Griner Jr.

Griner's public defender says she previously sought help for mental health issues and that she was suffering from postpartum psychosis at the time of her son's death.

Besides murder, Griner is also charged with disturbing human remains, tampering with evidence, child endangerment and false public alarm.

A mother indicted on a murder charge in the 2019 death of her young child doesn’t deny she destroyed his remains, but didn’t “knowingly and purposefully” cause his death, according to a new court filing.

Those statements are made in a motion filed by the attorney for Nakira M. Griner, 26, of Bridgeton, who is charged in the death of 23-month-old Daniel Griner Jr. in February 2019.

In the motion filed this week, Attorney Jill Cohen argues “the evidence necessary for the state to prove murder is separate and apart from the evidence necessary to prove the destruction of the remains. … For the purposes of this motion, defendant does not deny that she destroyed the human remains but denies that she knowingly and purposefully caused the death of D.G. Jr.”

Presenting evidence on the desecration and tampering charges, including images of the remains and details from the autopsy and forensic reports, along with the murder charge would prejudice a jury that will see no proof of how the child actually died or when, Cohen said in a phone interview.

“Once they see what she did as a mother, they’re not going to be able to separate all those prejudicial pieces of evidence from the real issue. Did she murder her child? … When they see the photos of the remains, it’s going to look so horrible that they may be so prejudiced against her that they won’t be able to see that there’s really no definitive cause of death,” Cohen said.

“They have evidence that clearly indicates from circumstantial evidence and the evidence they found that she was the person that destroyed the remains. But if you try the counts together, the jury is going to be so prejudiced against her that they can’t see that the state hasn’t proven a manner of death or at whose hands the death was.”

The new defense motion will be considered during a Feb. 25 hearing.

A judge ruled last year that a series of statements Griner made to police cannot be introduced as evidence in her trial because she wasn’t properly advised of her constitutional rights against self-incrimination.

During those interviews, which were played in court as part of suppression motion hearings, Griner described Daniel falling down the flight of stairs. She was carrying both of her kids, one in each arm, when Daniel reached for something he’d just dropped, she said. He slipped out of her grasp and fell down the stairs.

“He’s bleeding and he’s bruised and he’s just laying there,” she sobs in the recording. “He’s breathing, he’s OK, but there was blood and bruises on his face and chest.”

Griner said she invented the abduction tale because of prior injuries.

“I came up with the elaborate story because Daniel had bruises on him prior to the fall … from being smacked because he wasn’t eating his food and he was telling me what he would and wouldn’t do,” she says.

Griner was indicted in 2019 on five counts in all, including endangering the welfare of a child and false public alarm.

She has remained jailed since her arrest in 2019.

A New Jersey mother has spurned a plea deal from prosecutors and will instead face a criminal trial on murder and other charges in connection with the death of her 23-month-old son. She’s accused of killing the little boy by beating him to death. Prosecutors say she then dismembered and burned the boy’s body.

Nakira M. Griner, 27, of Bridgeton, appeared via video in Cumberland County Superior Court for a pretrial conference on Friday where she declined a plea agreement that would have required her to serve 30 years in prison in exchange for pleading guilty to her son Daniel Griner Jr.’s February 2019 death, Advance Media’s NJ.com reported.

Good news! That's great.

This question remains unresolved. "In their report, police describe finding human remains in trash bags under the shed. The report also states “burnt remains of what appeared to be a child were located in Nakira’s purse under the shed …” So folks, if most of the burnt remains were in trash bags, what in hell special part was in her purse, and why? Did she run out of bags at a critical moment?

A New Jersey mother has spurned a plea deal from prosecutors and will instead face a criminal trial on murder and other charges in connection with the death of her 23-month-old son. She’s accused of killing the little boy by beating him to death. Prosecutors say she then dismembered and burned the boy’s body.

Nakira M. Griner, 27, of Bridgeton, appeared via video in Cumberland County Superior Court for a pretrial conference on Friday where she declined a plea agreement that would have required her to serve 30 years in prison in exchange for pleading guilty to her son Daniel Griner Jr.’s February 2019 death, Advance Media’s NJ.com reported.
They will probably go with she was young and overwhelmed defense.

Hopefully the jury and judge make this bitch regret her decision to roll the dice with a trial.

Any word from dad? did he leave for another woman? Was he helping out or no? If she did have PPP or PPD, did he know and still leave the baby with her? Not looking to excuse this cretin, I’m always curious about where the other parent is when supposedly mentally ill moms kill their kids. Also sounds like she’s banged the baby up before. Either dad didn’t notice bruises because when he left he left both of them, or saw and didn’t think it was a big deal.

Any word from dad? did he leave for another woman? Was he helping out or no? If she did have PPP or PPD, did he know and still leave the baby with her? Not looking to excuse this cretin, I’m always curious about where the other parent is when supposedly mentally ill moms kill their kids. Also sounds like she’s banged the baby up before. Either dad didn’t notice bruises because when he left he left both of them, or saw and didn’t think it was a big deal.
But your whole post is an excuse and looking to place the blame elsewhere

“I’m always curious about where the other parent is when supposedly mentally ill moms kill their kids”- i’m curious as to where you saw I excused the mom? Read it again. “Did he leave for another woman?”- asking because if he did then it was a revenge killing and she’s a narcissist, not suffering from postpartum.

So often these poor kids are with mom because the dads are deadbeats. I’m saying that these kids are sometimes failed by both parents, and anyone who stood idly by - like shirking parenting responsibilities- is *equally* as guilty.

“I’m always curious about where the other parent is when supposedly mentally ill moms kill their kids”- i’m curious as to where you saw I excused the mom? Read it again. “Did he leave for another woman?”- asking because if he did then it was a revenge killing and she’s a narcissist, not suffering from postpartum.

So often these poor kids are with mom because the dads are deadbeats. I’m saying that these kids are sometimes failed by both parents, and anyone who stood idly by - like shirking parenting responsibilities- is *equally* as guilty.
and sometimes those poor kids are hurt , tortured or killed just to punish the partner that got away or because of custody battle... but no matter the reason this child died by her hands and she was "with it" enough to try to cover up (even over kill the cover up by disemberment and burning his poor remains) and from the info so far we only have her words that she sought mental health help and so far as info goes no red flags neither ...

I didn’t read it that way. With these kinds of stories I too wonder “where was dad, grandma, etc.” especially when mental illness is involved. The behavior of family members, shitty or not, should not effect her parenting and does not divert blame or lessen her actions. It’s not a valid excuse, it’s a BS story these kinds of people use to spread the blame and get sympathy. If dad/her family is gone, isn’t helping, or just doesn’t care so be it. I think @Snarkymom comment was more of a “why didn’t someone stop this from happening?” Thing.

I didn’t read it that way. With these kinds of stories I too wonder “where was dad, grandma, etc.” especially when mental illness is involved. The behavior of family members, shitty or not, should not effect her parenting and does not divert blame or lessen her actions. It’s not a valid excuse, it’s a BS story these kinds of people use to spread the blame and get sympathy. If dad/her family is gone, isn’t helping, or just doesn’t care so be it. I think @Snarkymom comment was more of a “why didn’t someone stop this from happening?” Thing.
Thank you so much for reading it the way I intended for it to be read. I guess when these things happen I want as many people as possible to be punished, anyone who took a back seat, family members that knew of the abuse but did nothing, and most of all the other parent who knew the offending parent was unstable and still left their child in harms way. Let’s hold every single person who knew but did nothing, accountable. Of course with this story in particular I’m making assumptions, but my assumptions are based on so many other cases we’ve seen where the other parent was no where to be found but suddenly comes forward after their kid dies.
Post automatically merged:

and sometimes those poor kids are hurt , tortured or killed just to punish the partner that got away or because of custody battle... but no matter the reason this child died by her hands and she was "with it" enough to try to cover up (even over kill the cover up by disemberment and burning his poor remains) and from the info so far we only have her words that she sought mental health help and so far as info goes no red flags neither ...
I definitely think she was sane and not ill. She has a history of abuse and went to great lengths to cover it up. I asked about the relationship with the child’s father because so many sociopaths see their kids as pawns, as if they’re just objects they own, and will use them to punish other people. I know with custody issues, sometimes one parent is powerless when it comes to the offending parent having visitation rights, but if there was no custody agreement then why the hell was this child allowed to live with this abuser? This is why I’m giving the side eye to dad or grandparents are anyone else who did nothing.

Last edited:
A woman accused of having killed her toddler son almost four years ago and telling police he had been kidnapped before his remains were found buried in the yard of her New Jersey home has been convicted of murder and other charges.

Prosecutors in Cumberland County say 28-year-old Nakira Griner will face a mandatory term of life in prison without parole when she is sentenced next month. She was convicted by a jury Wednesday of first-degree murder, desecration of human remains, child endangerment, evidence tampering and false public alarm.
Defense attorney Jill Cohen acknowledged that her client dismembered and burned the child's body but argued that prosecutors couldn't prove she was directly responsible for his death and therefore could be convicted of nothing more than manslaughter. Cohen said she intends to appeal the verdict.

Back