• You must be logged in to see or use the chatbox

VLGRDSPLY

Bold Member!
Im also wondering why - if they knew this little girl was violent, why was she placed in a foster home, that is also a home daycare? You cannot keep your eyes on children every min of every day... and I get there are not enough foster homes out there... BUT I feel like her placement at that home is another failure in this story

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
@Satanica @cubby @Prettypink513
The 10-year-old girl charged in the death of an infant in Chippewa County was found not competent to stand trial Tuesday.

The 10-year-old is charged in the October death of 6-month-old Jaxon Hunter.

In Wisconsin, if you are 10-years-old or older and charged with first degree reckless homicide, you must be charged as an adult.

The 10-year-old, who the court refers to as A.F., was walked into the courtroom in handcuffs. During the three hour hearing, A.F. sat calm and colored in a unicorn coloring book.

Attorney for the state, Richard Dufour, called Dr. Deborah Collins to testify via phone during the hearing. Collins is the Director of the Wisconsin Forensic Unit and holds a doctoral degree in child psychology. She testified that after meeting A.F. in February, she believed she suffered from PTSD, disruptive mood and deregulation disorder, as well as adjustment disorder with depression. She said these are the result of repeated exposure to trauma as a child and lack of consistent education. She did testify she didn’t believe A.F. had any intellectual disability. Collins believed A.F. was more likely than not to gain competency with stability, a consistent academic program and lack of trauma.

A.F.’s attorney’s, Laurie Osberg and Michael Steuer called their own psychologist, Dr. Michael Caldwell, who is a senior staff psychologist at Mendota Mental Health Institute. He agreed with many of Collins findings, however, he believed A.F. would not gain competency within a year, calling it ‘extremely unlikely’. Caldwell said A.F. is functioning like a 7-year-old due to her inconsistent education.

Judge James Peterson said it is too early to determine if she is unlikely to gain competency but thought she could within a year. He ordered A.F. to be turned over to the Department of Health Services for a period not to exceed 12 months. DHS will determine where she should get treatment and education. Choices include the Mendota Mental Health Institute in Madison and the Winnebago Mental Health Institute in Oshkosh.

Judge Peterson ordered a competency review hearing for July 3 at 1:30 p.m.

proudmom

Im also wondering why - if they knew this little girl was violent, why was she placed in a foster home, that is also a home daycare? You cannot keep your eyes on children every min of every day... and I get there are not enough foster homes out there... BUT I feel like her placement at that home is another failure in this story
So far I have not seen anything solid that says the foster parents knew the child was violent. That has been said but only in speculation of comments. Not by any source that I have seen.

In reality we dont knownthe details of her removal from her bio parents or her placement. We dont know if there were violent signs to be seen.

It is completly possible that she showed no signs of violence and snapped, especially since the child psychologists are saying PTSD. Non violent adults with PTSD have been known to snap, so it's not out of the realm that a child suffering from PTSD would too.

I'm not ready to vilify the foster family just yet, or the system they put her there because in my opinion I just dont have enough information to do so. Every violent person has a first time they were violent. We dont know that this was not hers.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The state would have had a substantiated case to remove the child and the contract agency would have accessed the child and had at least a basic understanding of the child's pathology.

My problem is that the foster parents put other parents' children at risk. If they were not aware of the child's
issues they should not have allowed her near younger and vulnerable children.

I can tell you that the state and contract agencies (in that state) will be more selective when they are placing children in foster homes where the parents provide daycare in their home.

The child needs help and it should be in an RTF not another foster home.

myra manes

Fuck You, I Am CAT
Bold Member!
So far I have not seen anything solid that says the foster parents knew the child was violent. That has been said but only in speculation of comments. Not by any source that I have seen.

In reality we dont knownthe details of her removal from her bio parents or her placement. We dont know if there were violent signs to be seen.

It is completly possible that she showed no signs of violence and snapped, especially since the child psychologists are saying PTSD. Non violent adults with PTSD have been known to snap, so it's not out of the realm that a child suffering from PTSD would too.

I'm not ready to vilify the foster family just yet, or the system they put her there because in my opinion I just dont have enough information to do so. Every violent person has a first time they were violent. We dont know that this was not hers.
I'm doubtful, this was the first outburst ..

Staff online

Members online